Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P
    Originally posted by JLB View Post
    Actually. except for those still in Timeshare La La Land, the last couple of years I've noticed how many of the grizzled veterans have reached their end, and become disillusioned, not by timesharing but by lack of an orderly exit strategy, and how more and more are saying about the same thing:

"The bottom line is this: If I can rent a nice hotel suite or condo or even a single family home for less than the fees to maintain a comparable timeshare then the value of that timeshare is I think, less than zero."
    I have seen this thinking also. In my case, our travel ability has changed and I found myself with too many timeshares. I don't want to get into the rental business. I had been letting family members use them. I can't use all my weeks and it wasn't worth it to extend them. I chose the one that was the greatest financial liability to me and tried to give it away using various strategies. The one years maintenance fee was worth it to me to be free of it. So you are right. Although it should not be that way, the value of it to me was less than zero. I'm satisfied with the outcome and am happy with my remaining ones, which I believe all have some value on the resale market.
    Jacki

Comment

Yup, it shouldn't be, but owners have been conditioned to what is.

The human animal can be conditioned to have to do bad things, and make it sound like a good thing.

As long as people let themselves get jacked around, those doing the jacking will not stop.
      RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
        Yup, it shouldn't be, but owners have been conditioned to what is.

The human animal can be conditioned to have to do bad things, and make it sound like a good thing.

As long as people let themselves get jacked around, those doing the jacking will not stop.
        Also, it creates a market for another category of opportunists in the timeshare industry, some scrupulous and some not, but a category that should not be necessary, and that the authorities have deemed to be problematic. In reality, the opportunists exist only because the industry created an opening for them. &, by and large, timeshare owners are fairly gullible.
        RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Timeshare's nattering nabob of negativity strikes again. When you quote yourself in consecutive posts you appear to be a blabbermouth.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
            Timeshare's nattering nabob of negativity strikes again. When you quote yourself in consecutive posts you appear to be a blabbermouth.
            I was just thinking you were overdue. Every six months or so I like to give you an opportunity to be judgmental. If you notice, I let someone else get the ball rolling, but we can count on you to put me in my place. It would not be right if you didn't.

Per Post 15, not all of the grizzled veterans are beginning to say similar things. There's an exception to everything.

Happy Holidays.

Comment

Of course it shouldnt be this way but Im not concerned with what was or what should be, only what is
              I pay someone to come by my house every week to pick up my trash, why not pay someone to pick up my old timeshares

There is no question that the lack of an "orderly exit strategy" is the biggest problem with timeshares today, but thats beginning to change. especially for the older independent properties , that have failed to keep themselves relevant. There is now a timeshare board members association where the exit strategy problem is the number one topic of discussion at every meeting

Comment

Again, there's not a lot of difference any more in what is being said.

I, obviously, am concerned for what is, as are many others, because it will not change unless someone cares to encourage change.

Even Fine Kettle is creeping into the 20th Century, because someone cared. Maybe 21st Century some day.

Comment

Timeshares have not recovered from the great recession and may never get back to the resale values they had before. There has been some recovery, but slight. Another problem is the rising maintenance fees. Many are so high that it has made timesharing no longer cost effective. To survive, HOA boards have to keep costs in check and need to have deed back programs and a resale program to keep performing weeks at a high level. I'm not sure what a grizzled veteran is, but I'm still in the game and not planning to exit the timeshare world.

Comment

I've been somewhat familiar with Silverleaf for 15 years or so, enough to know it is a Texas-based and oriented mini-system with a couple of resorts in the Branson area. When I was more active in timesharing, and Internet forums, I knew several Silverleaf owners. There's still some around on forums.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_smith01 View Post
                      I've been somewhat familiar with Silverleaf for 15 years or so, enough to know it is a Texas-based and oriented mini-system with a couple of resorts in the Branson area. When I was more active in timesharing, and Internet forums, I knew several Silverleaf owners. There's still some around on forums.
                      Hi.

Welcome.

Me, too.

FWIW, if it matters, Silverleaf no longer exists.

It is now owned by Holiday Inn Club Vacations, with its headquarters at everyone-'s favorite resort, Orange Lake Country Club.

Comment

Working...
                      X