How to unload a timeshare on CNNmoney.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to unload a timeshare on CNNmoney.com

These types of articles are becoming mainstream. Confirmation that the TS market is over saturated.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/23/pf/e...html?iid=HP_LN
    Flying at MACH4 +

I was going to post but saw that Brian from Tug did so I kept off the thread
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

So, there really is an Exit Strategy problem, huh?!

From the article:

. . . the amount you can legally deduct as a charitable donation is based on the property's "fair market value," which in saturated markets could be nothing at all.

You can also advertise your property for sale on sites like Craigslist or eBay for no or relatively low fees.

Vacation Rental By Owner (VRBO) is the best way to go, you'll never need a timeshare!

& those are the kind comments

Gosh, where have we heard that before?
      JLB
      Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
      Last edited by JLB; 08-23-2013, 07:14 PM.
      RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

I guess it goes without saying that when you read articles like this, you see what normal people think of timesharing . . . those who are not engulfed in the honeymoon/justification phase, something most owners go through.

RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by jlb View Post
          so, there really is an exit strategy problem, huh?!

From the article:

. . . The amount you can legally deduct as a charitable donation is based on the property's "fair market value," which in saturated markets could be nothing at all.

you can also advertise your property for sale on sites like craigslist or ebay for no or relatively low fees.

vacation rental by owner (vrbo) is the best way to go, you'll never need a timeshare!

& those are the kind comments

gosh, where have we heard that before?

haha

Comment

Originally posted by johnf0614 View Post
            haha
            hoho

Comment

Hi.
              I don't own holiday inn but I do own rci points.
              there are lots of (LINK REMOVED by moderator) nice vacation options open to rci points owners.
              In my opinion most of the good stuff like Hilton club in nyc or the bigger Disney units are more easily gotten innooints rather than weeks. Maybe due to less competition in points or just that rci deposits the better stuff to give points an edge over weeks owners for the developers sales sakes.
              I have always enjoyed my rci points. I think you will too.
              chriskre
              Super Moderator
              Last edited by chriskre; 03-30-2015, 01:42 AM. Reason: Spam link removed

Comment

Originally posted by Sumer View Post
                Hi.
                I don't own holiday inn but I do own rci points.
                there are lots of (LINK REMOVED by moderator) nice vacation options open to rci points owners.
                In my opinion most of the good stuff like Hilton club in nyc or the bigger Disney units are more easily gotten innooints rather than weeks. Maybe due to less competition in points or just that rci deposits the better stuff to give points an edge over weeks owners for the developers sales sakes.
                I have always enjoyed my rci points. I think you will too.
                Let's see, 1 post, are you an RCI employee? Me thinks yes.

Comment

Originally posted by billymach4 View Post
                  These types of articles are becoming mainstream. Confirmation that the TS market is over saturated.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/23/pf/e...html?iid=HP_LN
                  The advice from CNN is pretty good analysis of a tough predicament consumers face, but on eBay... thousands of timeshares haven't even sold for a dollar ($1.00). Perhaps a more Grass Roots approach may work better... if you wanted to sell a product, why not go where the owners (the product users) hang out!

TimeshareForums may have owners with a particular need that a certain timeshare may fulfill, this isn't always true but it's a safe & sound chance. And this is 100% consistent with FTC and Consumer Protectorate warnings to NOT pay Upfront Fees to sell a timeshare or cancel a timeshare contract, because it is Free! Here is what Consumer Protection Attorneys have long endorsed as a self-help method:

http://tcpaa.org/self-help-sales-inc...areforums-com/

Comment

the article is several years old as is this thread, but its a good reminder .. to sell a timeshare, just sell it like you would any real estate. It doesnt say its a problem, only that you will probably take a loss
                    it says that there are scam artists out there eager to take your money; be careful of them and suggests that your resort may be able to recommend a broker.

Probably an over simplification but like any realestate thats difficult to sell its just a matter of price. Anything will sell if you price it right

Comment

Originally posted by ronparise View Post
                      Probably an over simplification but like any realestate thats difficult to sell its just a matter of price. Anything will sell if you price it right
                      Yeah, how much are you willing to pay someone to take it. One year's maintenance fee? Two? Three? More?

Love these old threads.

YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                        Yeah, how much are you willing to pay someone to take it. One year's maintenance fee? Two? Three? More?

Love these old threads.

YMMV
                        Thats exactly right, Its all about the price. and some time the right price is less than nothing

Ive only been on this board a short time, but its my understanding that you have wanted to sell for a long time.. If you are not there yet you will be there sooner or later, where years of mf you have paid exceeds the fee you could have paid to get out.

Comment

Originally posted by ronparise View Post
                          Thats exactly right, Its all about the price. and some time the right price is less than nothing

If you are not there yet you will be there sooner or later, where years of mf you have paid exceeds the fee you could have paid to get out.
                          I wanted to be free of one of my timeshares, and when I got no takers at free, I had to sweeten the pot by paying the following year's maintenance fee. That was the turning point, and it was taken shortly afterward. I felt it was worth it to save on future years' payments.
                          Jacki

Comment

My message is simple . . . it should not be that way.

If a person think folks should have to pay to get rid of a timeshare, that's a problem with their thinking.
                            - - - - - -
                            Another factor, besides price, is time. Just keep trying to get rid of them, and do something while you're stuck with them to cut the loss.

Did I mention Love these old threads?

Comment

Actually. except for those still in Timeshare La La Land, the last couple of years I've noticed how many of the grizzled veterans have reached their end, and become disillusioned, not by timesharing but by lack of an orderly exit strategy, and how more and more are saying about the same thing:

"The bottom line is this: If I can rent a nice hotel suite or condo or even a single family home for less than the fees to maintain a comparable timeshare then the value of that timeshare is I think, less than zero."

Comment

Working...
                              X