Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning Security Grand Mayan

Grand Mayan Security of Luggage carts and personal belonging
    ( would apply to Grand Bliss & Grand Luxxe as well)

Just returned from a week long stay at Grand Mayan in Nuevo. Our stay was wonderful, property incredible and we are Grand Luxxe owners as well. So many changes. The luggage carts where they take your luggage at check in and check out look very secure , loaded and then locked in front of you. They spend a lot of effort boasting of this. All went well with our stay til check out. ( will write review later). Bellboy came to room and loaded up ONE luggage cart with our belongings, lots, we said maybe two carts would be best, he said no. Okay it all fit was loaded and locked. Men went with him to elevator and bellboy said will meet you down in parking area, as other people were on elevator. Thought nothing of this. Us girls stayed behind in room a bit figuring it would take some time to load up car and all.

When they go to parking area, they gave car card and luggage card stating ONE cart. A bellboy came over with one cart and then another followed. Neither my husband nor his friend thought much of it since number of pieces of luggage were correct. WE drove home, never leaving car alone, and spoke of what a great vacation we had...sigh sad

Went to get my Ipad out of pink luggage bag I use, which I did allow them to load on luggage cart as seemed so secure. They even raved about their security of luggage etc. Well yes you guessed it my ipad case but no Ipad in bag. We immediately called Grand Mayan and got a concierge who said he would place an investigation complaint and to call the next day. We called next day to get another concierge who knew nothing of the matter and had little regard other than to tell me to send an email with info. Husband was very upset so he called back and asked for a manager, she was much better to deal with. Stating would have an answer in 48 hours. Well that time frame passed and nothing, finally today I heard from customer service in Grand Luxxe via email and yes very sorry but they are very secure, all employees go thru metal detectors to lave or enter property and are wanded, etc. etc. All well and good but why were my things moved into two carts , so unlocked and changed. Apparently the bell captain said to do this so things would not fall out..so security in our opinion was breached highly since this luggage cart was unlocked without us being present. They state the bell captain was there the whole time. All well and good but purpose of locking in front of customer is for customers security.

They did apologize for my loss, but in the meantime I am out an Ipad. So the purpose of my post is to advise travelers, who like me, may feel this new system of luggage transport is safe to keep valuables with them and not to be swayed by locks and such. I truly was not thinking in this situation and was blindsided. I have never in 15 years had anything missing. It is so very sad as the resort, grounds, staff and food were incredible.

Mexican and American friends have already told me of many ways in which to avoid the metal detectors etc. stating the issue here is the unlocking of the luggage carts without us being present. I had not even thought of all that many have suggested. So it is with great sadness that I advise all of you to beware, as they make a very big issue of telling you how secure your luggage is...

Per a friend who responded to my dilemma: "Grand Luxxe/Mayan told you that their carts are very secure but they are not if they can change from one cart to two and they could have given the iPad to a guest, who is a buddy of them. Guests do not get scanned so can give it to them later. I don't know how else they could have done it if they scan each employee but it would be easy to give it to an outsider while they are talking with them in front of the carts. We were talking to them too and so could a dishonest guest who is their friend. They can make a deal together and sell it and then share the loot.

My review will follow later when more time allows! Oh I forgot they did offer me a VIP check in my next stay, late check out, ocean view, welcome fruit basket, not a big deal for me, I get that at most resorts anyway and should certainly get that at Grand Luxxe. sigh. so disappointed in the matter and also the handling of it along with myself for allowing this. Fair warning...
    Timeshare Addict - Mexico Travel Abounds - Happy Vacations!!

That was my first Mayan vacation and IMO it is the best property of all the MP. Things are bad there and for them to take something and risk losing there job must meab there are a few people in on it to cover it up. What a shame.
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
      That was my first Mayan vacation and IMO it is the best property of all the MP. Things are bad there and for them to take something and risk losing there job must meab there are a few people in on it to cover it up. What a shame.
      I was so impressed with all the new changes and all, including security...now my taste buds are spoiled..sigh..
      The way an issue is handled means a lot, a breach in security such as this should never happen and thus responsibility by resort should occur but nope..

Comment

Interesting. In all of the trips we have taken in Mexico, we've never had that type of "security" for our bags at the hotel. We've simply called el botones, and they've collected our bags and stored them for us, just like in almost any decent hotel in the US. When we check out, we give them the claim check and they retrieve our bags and put them curbside when the taxi appears.

The only issues we have had with "missing" items has been at the airport.
        “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

This is the new security for luggage carts at Mayan properties. I have traveled in Mexico over 15 years and never had anything missing.
          WE drove so no issue whatsoever with airlines. Wonder how many things go missing and airlines are blamed when who knows maybe taken at a resort. Just a thought. They did ask us when we reported this if we had flown and said things go astray a lot in airlines..hmm interesting, we drove and never let car out of our sight during our travels home..

Comment

Working...
          X