Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress Code Mexican Restaurant's!!!

Hi TS4MS'ers,
    jimbosee,from Melbourne,Australia.We will be on our first trip to Mexico,from February 5th,2008,3 nights in Mexico City and then from Friday February 8th,until Friday February 15th,we will be at Mayan Palace Riviera Maya,and then from Friday February 15th,until Friday February 22nd, we will be at Villa Varadero,Nuevo Vallarta.If any fellow traveller's are there or nearby we would love to catch up for a meet and chat.Would shorts,polo shirt and sandals be acceptable dress for most Mexican Restaurant's,and where abouts in either of those locations,would we be able to try ''Authentic,Real,Genuine,Homestyle" Mexican food,so as we can compare all other Mexican foods on our travelsThanks hope we can meet some of you wonderful people in Mexico,San Francisco,(Suites at Fisherman's Wharf)Las Vegas,(Tahiti)or NYC,Manhatten Club)(meeting Glitter there).Regards Jim Seedsman

jimbosee@hotmail.com
    "Where ignorance is bliss,'tis folly to be wise"

In a beach resort area, shorts and a polo short would probably be acceptable attire for most restaurants. However, in Mexico City, shorts would probably not be acceptable attire in the better restaurants. I don't know what you mean by authentic, etc. Mexican food. If you mean the tacos, enchiladas, etc. that you find in the USA, that is not typical Mexican food. Food styles in Mexico will vary from region to region. We stayed at the new Royal Hacienda Resort in the Mayan Riviera. We went into Playa del Carmen each night for dinner. There are a lot of good restaurants there. Many are on or near 5th Avenue, which is a pedestrian street near the waterfront. La Parilla is a popular Mexican restaurant on 5th Avenue. It may be what you are looking for. We also ate at Alux, a restaurant in a cave. It is in Playa, but on the west side of the main highway.

Comment

About the strictest dress code in Cancun that I have heard of is full length pants and a collared shirt for men and that was at a restaurant that wasn't open to the public.

Comment

Regarding the question about real authentic Mexican food may I suggest you get away from the touristy places and dine where the locals eat.

Have a wonderful time in Mexico.
        WorldMark Owners - Take back our club! |Email me at ts4ms@kapeesh.com as it is easier for me to respond than Private Messages. | Exchanges:Disney's Old Key West (Orlando), Four Seasons Aviara (Carlsbad, CA), Marriott Timber Lodge (Tahoe), Tahiti Resort & HGVC/Strip (Las Vegas), Wyndham Flagstaff, Star Island Resort (Kissimmee) & Pono Kai (Kauai). Marriott Newport Coast (CA)

Comment

Originally posted by kapish View Post
          Regarding the question about real authentic Mexican food may I suggest you get away from the touristy places and dine where the locals eat.

Have a wonderful time in Mexico.
          Very true! We have asked the office staff at the resorts. In other words the people who make a little bit more money. Most likely, you will have to take a cab as these restaurants are not on the waterfront.

We like a little restaurant very much that has authentic Mexican food but is in the touristy area of Puerto Vallarta but prices are not too bad like some of them are. Here is the link and they have had many good reviews too.

We are still hoping to be in Mexico from January 26 to February 9 but I doubt it very much as my SO is still in the hospital rehab center recovering from a stroke that happened while we were in Maui on November the ninth.

Take my advise and that is to take travel insurance out in case something happens like that and better yet take insurance for the air ambulance too, especially when you are older. We had none!

Comment

iconnections and Jim/Pat:

If you do end up in the same part of Mexico at the same time, please do try to meet -- having met you both, I know you would enjoy each other's company!

I know it looks like Emmy won't make it for this trip , but just in case...

Comment

The most dressed up I ever get in Cabo or Puerto Vallarta is dress shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. My wife will wear capri pants and a top to dinner. We often see some people in TShirts and sandals. Beach areas are casual. Some of the all inclusives may require slacks and collared shirts for men but we dont go to them

Comment

Locals generally do not wear shorts, especially the women. If you want to dress like the tourists, then shorts and casual shirts are the norm.

I do not know what you mean by authentic Mexican food. My wife is Mexican and we lived in Mexico and we also owned a Mexican restaurant. Tacos, enchiladas, chile rellenos, etc. are definitely authentic Mexican food. However, Mexican food varies according to the region of the country.
                John

Comment

I know sometimes in Europe you can spot a tourist because they are wearing tennis shoes and shorts pants.

Comment

Dress Code Mexican Restaurant's!!

Thank you to all the TS4MS'ers for your help.It look's like shorts for lunch,by the pool,and longs for dinner.Hope to see some of you on our travels.Regards Jim Seedsman

jimbosee@hotmail.com
                    "Where ignorance is bliss,'tis folly to be wise"

Comment

Working...
                    X