Things to see and do in Puerto Vallarta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to see and do in Puerto Vallarta

Hello. DW and I are going to Puerto Vallarta in a few weeks and will stay at the Buganvilias. From those of you who have been to PV, what are some of the activities, restaurants, tours, etc. that you consider are must see/must do? We currently plan to do the Canopy Tours de los Veranos and the Rhythms of the Night dinner show. Any other suggestions? What about great places to eat? Thanks for your help!

Go on a tour with Vallarta Adventures. They're a good outfit.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed and those who are cold and are not clothed."
    -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Yes, we have taken several tours with them over they years. We liked them all. They have very good guides and good equipment too. Not all outfits do. One of our highlights was releasing the turtles but we saw it in February so there were no tours. You can do this on your own if you know where it is. There is one place in Nuevo Vallarta not far from the Grand Velas. You walk to your left on the sand approximately 1/4 or less than 1/2 mile and you will see a small concrete building with a fenced off area with lots of wooden sticks sticking up from the sand. They keep track of the eggs so they know when they will hatch. From Paradise Village, it would be quite a long walk to the right.

We checked every afternoon with the volunteers if they were going to release the turtles that night at 8 PM but there were none until our last day. We saw them digging two holes and one had dead eggs but the other one had tiny little turtles so we went back again at 8 PM when they released them. We were lucky that night because there was an American graduated student volunteering and she explained everything in English to us and they asked for a donation that goes to this project. She gave me a web site too where you can read more about it but I lost it and haven't been able to find it again.

If you like nature, this would be a nice tour but you don't have to take it if you go by yourself. They asked us not to take pictures because it would confuse the turtles. We had taken one from the box already but we didn't take any more. What is so amazing is that these turtles swim as far as 6000 miles away but they come back to the exact same spot were they hatched to lay their eggs. For this reason, they cannot release them all at the same spot so have to walk a little further along the beach to release another batch.

Comment

Be sure to eat dinner over looking PV from above on the moutain. I forget the name of the Restaurant but the cabbies will know.
        Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I found the Vallarta Adventures website. Frank, I will definitely look for a mountaintop restaurant with a view! Thanks again.

Comment

If it is offered this time of the year, the Home Tour is interesting. I don't remember all the specifics, but it is sponsored by a group of folks new to PV, the money goes to charity, and you get to see how the rich and famous live. The resort should have info. We also enjoyed the "art walk." Local art galleries serve wine (some) and you follow a map from one to another. We saw a painting we really liked, but by the time the night was over, because of all the wine, we couldn't remember which gallery had the painting. Spent the next morning tracking it down!
            Carl

Comment

Forgot to add, Be sure to take a Tequila tour but do one of the smaller homey type. Talk to a cabbie I am sure they know where to take you.
              Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

I checked out Vallarta Adventures website. Looks great! Has anyone done any of these tours? We recently did a jungle adventure in Mayan Riviera area. Had lots of fun! I am most interested in Outdoor adventure or Jungle type tours. Thanks for any info.

Comment

We did Las Caletas, the Marietas, and Swimming with the dolphins. All were well planned and staffed. Vallarta Adventures has their act together.

Comment

pv info

I have some word docs that someone sent me last year with activities and restaurant info. If you want it send me an email and I will send them. I was thinking about a PV vacation last year and someone from Tug who lives in PV, I think, sent me a lot of info.

Comment

LeKliff is the restaurant that Frank mentioned. Awesome food and views. You can take the bus out there for lunch.

We like Pipi's for just about anything. Their fajitas and margaritas are really good.

From the Buganvilias you can walk to just about any place in town - take comfy shoes. We heard that the place just towards town from the Sheraton was good - Hector's out on the beach. We plan to try it in November.

We like to take the bus north to Bucerias and go to the Capri. We stay for hours just ordering one thing at a time and enjoying the day under a palapa.

The Argentinian steakhouse at the marina is very good. Lots of good places to eat at the marina.

Le Mission as you walk to town from the Sheraton has the best guacamole. They are across the street from Sr. Frogs and a nice Mexican syle restaurant (it is good too - they will give you a discount coupon for dinner there when you check in).

Sheraton Buganvilias is a great location - we have 4 units reserved for a family Thanksgiving vacation there this year. Have fun!!!
                      Phyllis

Comment

The Mariachi Story at the Santa Barbara Theater is excellent. Wonderful music & history of mariachi by very talented musicians. Includes "light" supper in admission. Drinks are reasonably priced.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank
                          Be sure to eat dinner over looking PV from above on the moutain. I forget the name of the Restaurant but the cabbies will know.
                          Frank,

Does either LeKliff or Vista Grill sound familiar? Vista Grill is owned and operated by the owners of La Palapa (I inderstand La Palapa is another must do).

Comment

Originally posted by itchyfeet
                            The Mariachi Story at the Santa Barbara Theater is excellent. Wonderful music & history of mariachi by very talented musicians. Includes "light" supper in admission. Drinks are reasonably priced.
                            Sound interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pittle
                              LeKliff is the restaurant that Frank mentioned. Awesome food and views. You can take the bus out there for lunch.

We like Pipi's for just about anything. Their fajitas and margaritas are really good.

From the Buganvilias you can walk to just about any place in town - take comfy shoes. We heard that the place just towards town from the Sheraton was good - Hector's out on the beach. We plan to try it in November.

We like to take the bus north to Bucerias and go to the Capri. We stay for hours just ordering one thing at a time and enjoying the day under a palapa.

The Argentinian steakhouse at the marina is very good. Lots of good places to eat at the marina.

Le Mission as you walk to town from the Sheraton has the best guacamole. They are across the street from Sr. Frogs and a nice Mexican syle restaurant (it is good too - they will give you a discount coupon for dinner there when you check in).

Sheraton Buganvilias is a great location - we have 4 units reserved for a family Thanksgiving vacation there this year. Have fun!!!
                              Thanks for the recommendations. I have heard that Bucerias is a fun trip. I am VERY excited about the location of the Sheraton and the fact that it is walking distance to so many great places!

Comment

Working...
                              X