No announcement yet.

More help with DS European wandering...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More help with DS European wandering...

So they will have a few days after Florence to make their way to Pamplona (Spain). They are planning to do The rest of Spain after that and are looking for a good city or two to hit along the way. Amsterdam is out bc it's too far by train and flights are too dear. They don't want to go to Paris. Any other thoughts along the way from Florence to Spain for two young guys into art, music, clubs, and general young fun?

Well, they're going right by Marseille. I hear that's a pretty dangerous city...not sure if that's true. They do have a tourist site, though!

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/

BTW, I saw a fantastic Bollywood movie about three young guys who take one last trip together before one of them gets married. They go to Spain and they each get to choose one activity that the other two have to try. One chooses La Tomatino, which is a huge annual tomato-throwing festival near Valencia, Spain. If the timing works out, it looks totally fun!

http://www.latomatinatours.com/

Comment

I believe Milan is on the way from Florence to most of Europe and although it is a big city, there are a lot of things to do. For historical sights the Sforza castle and, of course, the Last Supper are worth the visit. There are also many other attractions if they are into cars Alfa Romeo and Ferrari are in the area as is the Monza racetrack. A quick look at Rick Steve's book will give you some suggestions.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by wackymother View Post
        Well, they're going right by Marseille. I hear that's a pretty dangerous city...not sure if that's true. They do have a tourist site, though!

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/

BTW, I saw a fantastic Bollywood movie about three young guys who take one last trip together before one of them gets married. They go to Spain and they each get to choose one activity that the other two have to try. One chooses La Tomatino, which is a huge annual tomato-throwing festival near Valencia, Spain. If the timing works out, it looks totally fun!

http://www.latomatinatours.com/
        His friend's family will be in Valencia, I REFUSE to look at the dates! It's not like he's ever embraced international pillow fighting day here, or pants less subway day, or anything like that

No, really, he hasn't!

Comment

Vienna is not too far off that route, and, of course, the French Riviera is right on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
            His friend's family will be in Valencia, I REFUSE to look at the dates! It's not like he's ever embraced international pillow fighting day here, or pants less subway day, or anything like that

No, really, he hasn't!
            It's the last Wednesday in August. You're welcome!

http://www.latomatina.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyboy View Post
              I believe Milan is on the way from Florence to most of Europe and although it is a big city, there are a lot of things to do. For historical sights the Sforza castle and, of course, the Last Supper are worth the visit. There are also many other attractions if they are into cars Alfa Romeo and Ferrari are in the area as is the Monza racetrack. A quick look at Rick Steve's book will give you some suggestions.

Tom
              Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
              Vienna is not too far off that route, and, of course, the French Riviera is right on it.
              I will check these out w him, thanks.

Comment

On my way from Florence to Barcelona (in my mid 20's), I stopped in cinque terre for a few days a la Rick Steves.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Manarola-Cinque-Terre-Italy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	923337

Comment

Originally posted by SallyHoover View Post
                  On my way from Florence to Barcelona (in my mid 20's), I stopped in cinque terre for a few days a la Rick Steves.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]976[/ATTACH]
                  oh, that looks cool!

Maybe i should check out a guidebook or two like that. Thanks!

Comment

Milan is a crazy city to drive in but the "Last Supper" was worth to visit. You would hardly notice it if it wasn't that famous. Italy has so much art to see.

Comment

Originally posted by wackymother View Post
                      It's the last Wednesday in August. You're welcome!

http://www.latomatina.org/
                      I think he'll just miss it. Oh well

Originally posted by iconnections View Post
                      Milan is a crazy city to drive in but the "Last Supper" was worth to visit. You would hardly notice it if it wasn't that famous. Italy has so much art to see.
                      Thanks, Emmy. His traveling companion will have spent the week prior in Turin and Milan so probably won't want to go back there. Also DS seems underwhelmed about religious art at the moment... I am considering leaving them to their own devices for a few days and just go where the wind takes them from Florence but with it being high season I'm afraid that may be a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
                        I think he'll just miss it. Oh well

Thanks, Emmy. His traveling companion will have spent the week prior in Turin and Milan so probably won't want to go back there. Also DS seems underwhelmed about religious art at the moment... I am considering leaving them to their own devices for a few days and just go where the wind takes them from Florence but with it being high season I'm afraid that may be a mistake.
                        The sooner we got out of Milan, the better we liked it but we may have missed a lot. We much preferred the Amalfi Coast and Gulf of Naples. The villages on the cliffs are so picturesque and and we loved Capri.

Are they visiting any of these places and are they going to Rome? You can't tell your kids what to do but you can only give them your best suggestions of what other people have done here and it was a great experience for them.

They will do OK as we did at that age also so long ago.

PS. I am glad to read that they are not missing Florence.
                        taffy19
                        Gold Contributor
                        Last edited by taffy19; 06-07-2015, 03:30 AM. Reason: Added a paragraph.

Comment

DD absolutely loved Cinque terre.

Comment

Working...
                          X