MVP Paradisus Playa Conchal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVP Paradisus Playa Conchal

I was able to trade my week with RCI-ID#5408- into this resort but I have not seen much info or trip reports about this resort. Our trade is a studio room and since it is just the two of I would hope that would be enough room. Does anyone know what the sudio room is at the PPC? Is it just standard Garden Room?

When we pay the all inclusive fee will it give us acces to everything int eh resort like restaurants, pool and spa? RCI said we are required to pay a all inclusive fee but I have read somehwere else that is optional for RCI guests. I dont understand. I have stayed at many all inclusive resorts in the past and you did not have a choice everyone is on the all inclusive plan. So any insite on this I would welcome.

Are the rooms for the timeshare units all in the same buiding or they spread out over the resort.

Sorry about asking so many question but has been very hard for me to find a lot of info about the timeshare units at this resort. Any info about this resort I would love.

Anyone????????

Comment

Since everytime I have tried to trade into there...I can't, so I don't have much to say. I have heard that it;'s a great place. They only have 15 rooms to trade into I hear so th availability hasn't been there. Have you looked at tripadvisor?
      Here are some reviews.

Comment

I looked at tripadvisor and the place looks great. I was hoping I would get some first hand knowledge from someone who traded into it or owns a timeshare there. Most of the reviews on tripadvisor are people who did not use a tiemshare unit.

I think I just luck out with trading into it. I have been looking for a while to find a cool place to trade into and I pretty much gave up on this place. Now I just have to wait a while for the vacation.

Comment

Good luck to you!! When are you going? I always try for Jan/Feb. and have always been unsuccessful. Maybe I need to change the dates I try for...Like I said there are only 15 units there for timeshare ownership and trading, so it is sort of slim to get one. I've stayed at the Paradisus Punta Cana and Tropical Caribe and Los Cabos...Nothing that much different from the regular studios, except they have microwaves and dinner set-ups. Frank has stayed in the Cancun one and loves it there.
          When you get back...write a review..I'm curious myself.

Have fun!!!

Comment

I will be going the first week of Nov in 2010. So I have a long time to wait.
            I pretty much gave up on getting a trade into the resort even though we were able to travel anytime in 2010. I know that resort does not show up in RCI that often so I was really happy to see it in there. I guess I was at the right place right time.

Comment

You will love it

We have owned at the Playa Conchal since, I think about 1998. We simply love it there. Most of what has been posted is true. Here are the facts:

1. There are very, very few units available. The resort is trying to get rid of all of the timeshares since they can make so much more $$$ just renting the rooms. The resort is very popular and much in demand. Most owners never trade their weeks.
              2. The all-inclusive is definitely optional. We have never used it, for several reasons. We love going to the local restaurants and you can either walk to them or take a $5 cab ride. If you go via the beach, it's about a 20 minute walk. If you take the main road, it's more like 35 minutes. It's also much cheaper, unless you plan on consuming copious amounts of alcohol. Dinner for 2 with drinks at a local restaurant won't run you much more than $30-$35. We usually have breakfast and/or lunch in the room or get a burger or pizza at the pool. You can get everything you need at the local mini-mart in Brasilito. Bring a collapsible cooler to the pool filled with beer/pop/water/whatever. It's not a problem. Beer will cost you about 80 cents each at the mini-mart. I recommend Bavaria Gold. You'll save a lot compared to the $160 you'll pay for 2 with the A.I.
              3. If you golf, the rates are discounted for timeshare owners and/or guests. You may have to argue a bit to get the rates.
              4. The staff really have no idea about the timeshare contracts and how to handle the owners/guests. You just have to be firm if you are getting the runaround. Ask to speak to a manager if things aren't working out. They will make it right. The only real issue you might encounter (due to overbooking) is having them try to give you a normal hotel room instead of a timeshare room. The rooms are the same size, but the timeshare rooms have the microwave, toaster, utensils, etc. They are also located on the golf course, which is nice. Be calm and firm and insist on the timeshare room. Last year we had to spend the first night in a regular room, but got comp'd on the restaurants since we couldn't cook (microwave). We also got a cheese tray and a bottle of wine.
              5. Not taking the all-inclusive only eliminates the meals and drinks. You still have access to all of the other facilities. The choice is yours.
              6. Don't worry about the room size. They are quite large, with a separate sleeping area. Large living room / dining area also. Bathrooms are floor to ceiling marble with bidet and telephone.
              7. It's a huge resort, but great if you like to walk. If you don't there are shuttles running non-stop and day and night. Never more than a 2-3 minute wait.
              8. If you do choose the all-inclusive or choose to eat at a resort restaurant, they are all very good with lots of selection. Even the buffet restaurant is very good. It has many stations where you they cook things on request (pasta/fish/meats/etc), so it's not really like a normal buffet. Same with breakfast.
              9. You will be missing a great opportunity if you don't do at least 2 day trips when you're there. I can recommend some depending on what you're interested in. They won't likely be the ones that the tour company recommends.
              10. Having been to C.R. 15 times, I can safely say it is my favorite place to vacation. Very safe, and fantastic people.
              11. Explore the town of Brasilito. If you're lucky there may be a fiesta.
              12. The first week of November could be great, could be iffy. That's the end of the rainy season. If the rain has stopped (it should have), it's the best time of the year. The flowers are out and the whole country is as green as can be. People that go in March never get to see it, because it's very dry by then in that part of the country.
              13. Any questions?

Comment

gordanmichele, How is Summer, I traded with an owner direct for this August 15th in a studio, is it nessery to get a guide to show you around the Island if you dont want to go on package tours (hate them) but want to go sighseeing,plan to rent a 4x4
                Thanks

Comment

Wow. Thanksf or all of the info. What tours would you recommend and what tour company should we use, if any? We are active and enjoy a lot of things from biking, snorkeling, diving and hiking.

Comment

My suggestions

First, for brother coony, Costa Rica is not an island. It might best be described as an isthmus. So, you cannot tour the island, nor can you tour the country, as it is much too large.

The seasons go like this:
                    mid-November to the end of April - no rain at all - none
                    rain starts in May, but usually only 1 short shower in the afternoon
                    rain increases to the beginning of July, but still not too bad
                    rain stops for the first week and a half of July - no explanation
                    rain starts again and increases gradually to September - most rains are late in the day and overnight - the daytime is mostly fine
                    September and October - rains a lot up to the beginning of November

Comment

General rules and suggestions

1. Get a map. B&B and National Geographic are the best. There is a decent one (with a ton of other great info.) at costa-rica-guide.com (no www.)
                      2. Get a travel guidebook. Moon is the best. It also has lots of local detailed maps. You can see some of it online at Guanacaste and the Northwest | MOON TRAVEL GUIDES
                      3. Airport - I don't know where you are coming from, but you need to fly in to the Liberia airport, NOT the San Jose airport. Liberia is 40 minutes from the resort. San Jose is 4.5 hours IF you know what you're doing, and, no offence, but if you're a first-timer you will not know what you are doing.
                      4. Car rental - not a problem, but reserve in advance. None of the companies have large fleets and frequently sell out. We have rented from several companies, but mostly Dollar and Budget. Shop around several different websites to get the best rates. DO NOT use the local rental offices websites to reserve. Only use them for information. You will not get the best rates. Frequently the best rates are on Dollar's national site, or Travelocity. If you only want a car for a day or 2, you can rent them at the resort. You will pay a premium, however.
                      5. Driving - I could spend days on this topic. Suffice to say it is an experience. The main highways are good and are generally well marked with only the occasional pothole (read crater) to distract you. Secondary paved roads are passable, but generally not well marked or not at all. After that, you get into the non-paved roads which can range from smooth gravel, to large rocks, to boulders, to having to drive through 3 foot deep rivers. A lot of times you won't know what to expect until you get there. Unless you are staying on paved roads, ground clearance is a must. If you stay on paved roads, any vehicle is fine and you will save money. They rent lots of small 4WD that will take you anywhere (Suzuki and Daihatsu Terios). Having said that, we accept the driving issues as part of the experience. You just need to be patient and accept the fact that YOU WILL GET LOST. Learn enough Spanish to ask directions and you will be fine (and the locals will love you for attempting Spanish).
                      6. Suggestions on tours in the next post.

Comment

Tour Suggestions

You need to keep in mind that you are at a 5 star luxury resort, and as such, do not want to spend all of your time away from the resort (especially if you paid for the all-inclusive).

Tours I would not recommend (but have taken myself):

Not that these aren't great places to visit, but IMHO the time investment and chances of weather being a problem are not worth it.

1. Arenal volcano - This is a very long day that ends up in disappointment more often than not. It's about a 4 hour bus ride each way. The scenery is nice, but not spectacular except for maybe a 20 minute stretch of rainforest near the volcano. More often than not, the volcano is shrouded in clouds and you can only see the bottom. Trust me, after 4 hours on the bus you will be disappointed. I've been to the volcano on 4 occasions for a total of 7 days and only saw the complete volcano two times for a total of about 30 minutes (and one of those was at 4 A.M.).
                        2. Monteverde Cloud Forest - A beautiful area, but an absolutely horrible road in and out. The last 10 KM takes about 1.5 hours. And, IT'S A CLOUD FOREST, so, it's likely raining. A great place to go for 3 or 4 days, but not for a day trip.

Things to do on your own (not a tour):

1. Walk the beach - It's long flat and fantastic. Make sure to go both north (through the pass - you'll know it when you see it) and south. In the early morning and at dusk, wear bug spray with DEET. There are some tiny little no-see-ums that are vicious. The DEET works well. You'll see all sorts of birds.
                        2. Take a bike for a ride. They are available at the resort. You can ride to the nearby towns of Brasilito, Playa Flamingo and Playa Potrero without much difficulty. If you're energetic, go to Tamarindo (surfer town) about 15 miles away.
                        3. Rent a car and explore:
                        a. Tamarindo - lots of bars, restaurants, etc. (20 minutes)
                        b. Liberia - main city of Guanacaste (50 Minutes)
                        c. Las Pumas Rescue Shelter- fantastic private zoo for rescued cats and animals. jaguars, pumas, ocelots and tons of macaws, parrots, etc. Free admission, but they take donations. (1.5 hours) Rescate de Animales Silvestres Decomisados, Refugio de Vida Silvestre, Centro de Rescate Las Pumas
                        d. Monkey Park (15 minutes) MONKEY PARK - COSTA RICA
                        e. Visit some of the other beach towns farther north (Coco)
                        f. You can all of these in a pseudo-loop in 1 day.
                        4. If there is a fiesta nearby, make an effort to get there. These things are a hoot, especially if they have "bullfights". Don't worry, they're not like real bullfights. A bunch of drunks run around in a small bull ring and they let Brahma bulls in. The drunks try and "tag" the bull without getting killed. The bull isn't harmed. Great entertainment.

Tours I would recommend that I've done:

a. These are best done in a package. There is an office in the resort that can arrange all of them.
                        b. Something called the Mega-Tour or Mega Canopy Tour. It takes place mostly near the Rincon volcano in the forest. You get:
                        1. Zip line - Have done about 10 of these. Never gets old.
                        2. Horseback ride - It's harmless. Beginners welcome.
                        3. Waterslide - Not what you think. This is a concrete trough built on the side of a mountain that is fed by a natural stream. They close a sluice gate, you get in, the water builds up, they open the gate and you are washed downhill in the trough for about a quarter of a mile on the forest floor. No experience like it.
                        4. Mud baths
                        5. Trip to waterfall for swimming
                        6. Shopping on return
                        7. This is the best all in one tour anywhere. It's a full day. Ask the driver to stop at the German bakery on the way back. He'll know where.
                        c. Palo Verde - If you like nature and birds/animals, this is the best tour. You take a boat along the Tempisque river and see big crocs, giant iguanas, dozens of birds species and much more. On the way back you stop in Guatil, which is a famous local pottery-making town. Full day.
                        d. Congo Trail Canopy Tour - another zip line experience, but a good one with many platforms. Only half a day and much closer than the Mega Tour if all you want is the zip line. You will see monkeys also. The ride getting there is an experience.
                        e. Mangrove tour - This is near Tamarindo and is like Palo Verde but on a much, much smaller scale. It's closer and only half a day. if you have the time do Palo Verde.
                        f. Leatherback turtle nesting - This is the best of all, but unfortunately you won't be there at the right time (nesting season), so it's out.
                        g. ATV convoy - had a ton of fun on this one. It's only a couple of hours, but you take back roads to places you'd never see otherwise. YOU WILL GET DIRTY.

Comment

gordandmichele,mon if I had seen post like this befor a book I would wait ontill you are going and book that time, this is grrrreat info Thanks,
                          will try to post when I get back
                          Again thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X