Whistler Valhalla on hold..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistler Valhalla on hold..?

3 bedroom sleeps 6, ski week. Keeper? pros/cons?

Although the RCI reviews are old, they are very positive. TripAdvisor reviews are more recent and also good. The size is extremely appealing. I am not at all familiar with the resort, but sounds like a keeper to me.

Comment

Originally posted by happymum View Post
      Although the RCI reviews are old, they are very positive. TripAdvisor reviews are more recent and also good. The size is extremely appealing. I am not at all familiar with the resort, but sounds like a keeper to me.
      I agree with your assessment! Am curious about proximity/access to mountains for snow folks...and I haven't yet checked air. Too bad I can't wait to see fall semester grades before booking this reward... Still I am impressed with this match from RCI!

Comment

Definitely not ski-in/ski-out by the sound of it, but a short walk. I think there is a local shuttle bus too. We stayed at Mountainside Lodge on an RCI exchange over New Years a few years back and the location was fabulous, but the units were extremely noisy. Somehow the windows seemed to let in all the street noise. Well, you know air is likely to be very high. Try WestJet.
        Good luck - and if you decide not to take it, PLMK!

Comment

If you want to visit Whistler this is a definite keeper.

Assuming this is ski season ---

Location is North Village - away from the night life area. There could be a bit of traffic noise from Lorimar but that's nothing compared with locations that are in the Main Village area.

There should be free Village shuttle service that will drop you off about 100 years from the Blackcomb Mountain Gondola. Otherwise it's about a one-third mile walk from to Gondola Plaza. Lots of people walk it.

I don't know this specific property, but it's one of the newer properties in the WJ collection and should be in good condition. Three bedroom and full kitchen - what more could you ask for?

If it's like most WJ properties, Valhalla will be a condo project in which Whiski Jack owns several units, with other units being in whole ownership. You will have access to all of the resort facilities. Most of the newer Whistler projects of this area will have all the expected amenities, but they might be a bit on the small side.

The main Village area, with shops, restaurants, bars, etc, is a very easy stroll. The IGA supermarket (the only real supermarket in Whistler) and the primary BC Liquor store are both in the shopping center across Lorimar from the resort.

Go and have a fabulous time. One of the things I love about Whistler as a group skiing experience is that there are vast areas of the mountain that have runs of wide difficulties. The group can all go up together on a lift, agree to meet at the bottom, and everyone can find runs to match their desires - level of difficulty, groomed or ungroomed, bowls vs. gladed vs. chutes, etc. I also see lots of families with small children, where the parents swap off skiing with the tykes; they all go up together and one time Dad works with the kids on the easier runs while Mom shreds, and the next ride up they change roles.

The only "con" you can possibly conjure is that it is not "ski-in/out". But how many places in a prime ski resort really are that are reasonably available as a 3-bedroom timeshare???

If you do take it, be sure to check back in for hints on tickets, equipment rentals, skiing the mountain, etc.
          “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

Confirmed. I really hope we get to actually go to this one! Thanks Happymum and Trog! Yes, it is a ski week, prime late January.

Btw, tpu for this was 27. There are a number of April Whistler weeks available at 30-32. Granted that is Spring Break for many North-easterners, but aren't snow conditions pretty iffy by late April?
            Glitter Brunello
            Super Moderator
            Last edited by Glitter Brunello; 09-06-2013, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
              Confirmed. I really hope we get to actually go to this one! Thanks Happymum and Trog! Yes, it is a ski week, prime late January.

Btw, tpu for this was 27. There are a number of April Whistler weeks available at 30-32. Granted that is Spring Break for many North-easterners, but aren't snow conditions pretty iffy by late April?
              Late April is often marginal. The resort will be open; they don't shut down until Labor Day. But the bottom half of each mountain will almost certainly be wet and slushy at best; you will almost surely want to take the gondolas down from mid-mountain. Conditions will be much better on the upper mountains, but will often be marginal except on the highest runs. People who don't want to do anything more than groomed intermediate runs may be frustrated. If there is precipitation there's a good chance that it will be rain, not snow, except on the peaks.

April 15 is about the latest I would recommend skiing Whistler unless the group is all double diamond skiers who spend all of their time on the upper reaches of a mountain.

Down in the Village, it will definitely be mud season.

Comment

Originally posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
                Late April is often marginal. The resort will be open; they don't shut down until Labor Day. But the bottom half of each mountain will almost certainly be wet and slushy at best; you will almost surely want to take the gondolas down from mid-mountain. Conditions will be much better on the upper mountains, but will often be marginal except on the highest runs. People who don't want to do anything more than groomed intermediate runs may be frustrated. If there is precipitation there's a good chance that it will be rain, not snow, except on the peaks.

April 15 is about the latest I would recommend skiing Whistler unless the group is all double diamond skiers who spend all of their time on the upper reaches of a mountain.

Down in the Village, it will definitely be mud season.
                That sounds right. RCI strikes again.

Comment

The first week of April is generally pretty good skiing above mid-mountain. Most of the terrain is actually above mid-mountain so that's not an issue. The second week is usually pretty good as well. At the resort those are still considered prime season.

By the third week of April I think it's starting to get pretty dicey for all bu about the highest 25% to 33% of the terrain. That's in the area where for most skiers it's about 50:50 as to whether it will be enjoyable or miserable. Here in the Seattle most schools have a week long break the second or third week of April. Not many people use that break as a ski week.

Comment

Glad for you. It should be great!

Comment

Working...
                    X