This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IreneLF View Post
    #1 would get my vote because of Guilin, a place I've wanted to see since I first viewed it in EPCOT's China movie.
    (but i don't think my vote counts)
    Originally posted by Pat H View Post
    Irene, why wouldn't your vote count?

Pat, when are you planning on going? Prices?
    Originally posted by catwgirl View Post
    I'm with Irene. My non-vote would be Guilin, and I've been there. A landscape like you have never seen, fishermen (using cormorants to do the fishing for them, at night by lantern), and the fabulous huge Reed Flute Cave with stalactites and stalagmites galore. Oh my. Don't miss Guilin.

It's THAT good.
    But what about Tibet???

I really do think it will be #1 as well with a two day Hong Kong ($250 air only) add in but waiting to hear from my travel companion .... Tibet....could be the deal breaker!
    Fall 2014

Scenic Yangtze Discovery 16 Days 14 Nights(2014)[RDR]Tour Code:RDR
    Visiting:Beijing(4 nts) - Yichang - Yangtze River Cruise(4 nts) - Chongqing - Xian(2 nts) - Guilin(1 nts) - Yangshuo - Guilin(1 nts) - Shanghai(2 nts)

http://www.ritztours.com/TourPackage...e=en-US&html=1

Tibet Highland & Yangtze River 16 Days 14 Nights(2014)[RDT]Tour Code:RDT
    Visiting:Beijing(3 nts) - Xian(2 nts) - Lhasa(3 nts) - Chongqing - Yangtze River Cruise(3 nts) - Yichang - Shanghai(3 nts)

http://www.ritztours.com/TourPackage...e=en-US&html=1

Air China
    http://www.staralliance.com/en/about...hina_airlines/

United and US Airways (soon to partner with AA)

Can use Cathay Pacific - One World with AA http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US.html
    GrayFal
    Silver Contributor and supermoderator
    Last edited by GrayFal; 10-24-2013, 07:41 AM.
    Pat
    *** My Website ***

Comment

I would love to visit Tibet. But that might be a trip on its own.

The Ritz tour sounds a lot like what I did. I even recognize some of the hotels. I would definitely do the Hong Kong add-on. We thoroughly enjoyed the rickshaw tours of the hutong. Looks like that is an add-on too.

One thing I was surprised by is the smog. It was especially bad in one place, Xian I think.

Comment

This looks lovely and I have more than enough FF miles through a Star Alliance partner for air. My best dates would be Oct 11-26 or Nov 8-23 for 2014, but I won;t have any vacation time left until 2015! I don't know if that would be a problem with my employer.... Oh my, work does get in the way.

Pat, is this a trip DH would go on (may I could get DH to go in 2015)?

Oh, yes, trip #1

Joy
        GrayFal
        Last edited by GrayFal; 10-20-2013, 02:00 PM. Reason: public board
        “ Peace, if it ever exists, will not be based on the fear of war but on the love of peace. ”

— Herman Wouk

Comment

Tibet sounds great but it will be a touch trip to make. Many people suffer high altitude sickness and it takes a few days (even week) to recover. We plan to do this by taking a train from Beijing to Lhasa (to assimilate to the high altitude gradually) in the future.

I also vote for #1.

Comment

My fear was about the altitude as well....so glad you confirmed this Lisa...
            Pat
            *** My Website ***

Comment

Review Courtyard Marriott Hong Kong

“Great Amenities - Great Price”
              Reviewed October 14, 2013 NEW
              It's not easy to find a hotel at a GREAT price with GREAT amenities and GREAT service in Hong Kong - but the Courtyard by Marriott on Hong kong Island is hard to beat. Admittedly, I'm a Marriott Elite member, however, I've been to HKG many times, and have stayed at many hotels, but still cannot name many properties that can beat the value of this hotel.

Transportation: One of the most convenient features of the hotel is that it provides multiple, FREE hourly shuttle service to various HKG Island transportation hubs i.e. International Finance Center (IFC)/Hong Kong Station (Airport Express), Macau Ferry Building, HKG Convention Center, and the Kowloon ICC. This made it SUPER easy to transfer from the Airport Express at Hong Kong Station to the hotel - even if you have to wait a bit for the hourly pick-up times. We also planned a few of our sightseeing days to start/end on their free shuttles from the IFC. However, given that the local transportation system is so extensive in HKG, it was also nice to discover that this property is located only a half block walk (less than 30 yards) from the Water Street tram stop (using any Kennedy Town destination tram) - only a short, 10 minute tram ride south of Central Station.

Amenities: We enjoy Marriott properties for their consistency in terms of room amenities i.e. bed comfort, bathroom features (hairdryers, toiletries, towels), and TV/Internet access. This hotel had it all - as consistent as US properties. In addition, if you're an Elite Marriott member, you'd be delightfully surprised that this Courtyard has a Concierge Lounge that rivals the best of JW Marriott properties - a feature we saw on the internet that drew us to this property - we weren't disappointed at all (full continental breakfast, cocktail/hors d'oeuvre evening hours, and full daily access for water/soda/cookies). Even if you're not an Elite Marriott member (you can pay to upgrade for Concierge Lounge access), their MoMo Cafe morning brunch is definitely worth the price.

Staff: This hotel excels in their service mentality - from the front desk staff to the restaurant/shuttle drivers. It's nice to encounter a friendly smile and "how can we help you" attitude every time you enter/leave the property.

Price: if you're comparing the price of this hotel (online) to other full-service properties on Hong Kong Island, you'll generally find a lower per night cost with this Courtyard (HKG is a fairly expensive city anyhow) - but the additional services you get for the price are not always apparent. It's also worth a call to Marriott reservations to find out if you're eligible for any further discounts (specials, AAA, corporate, travel industry, etc.) - this may result in a better price.

All in all, our visit to HKG was made so much better because of the features mentioned above about this hotel - something that we value immensely on our trips (there is nothing like a sub-par hotel to ruin your overall vacation experience) - the Courtyard by Marriott/Hong Kong was a rare, pleasure-to-experience hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a Harbour View room (high floor), if available at no extra cost.
              Pat
              *** My Website ***

Comment

China Scenic & Hong Kong RDZH 14 Days 12 Nights(2014)
                Visiting: Beijing(3 nts) - Xian(2 nts) - Guilin(1 nts) - Yangshuo - Guilin(1 nts) - Shanghai(3 nts) - Hong Kong(2 nts) [RDZH]
                Cost $3799 + 100(NY air) - 300 early booking = $3599 for 12 Nights

Scenic Yangtze Discovery RDR 16 Days 14 Nights(2014) + Hong Kong air = 18 Days 16 Nights
                Visiting: Beijing(4 nts) - Yichang - Yangtze River Cruise(4 nts) - Chongqing - Xian(2 nts) - Guilin(1 nts) - Yangshuo - Guilin(1 nts) - Shanghai(2 nts) - Hong Kong(2 nts)
                Cost $3799 + 100(NY air) + 250(HK air) - 300 early booking = $3849 for 16 Nights (or 17 nights?)
                GrayFal
                Last edited by GrayFal; 10-21-2013, 08:58 AM.
                Pat
                *** My Website ***

Comment

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post
                  China Scenic & Hong Kong RDZH 14 Days 12 Nights(2014)
                  Visiting: Beijing(3 nts) - Xian(2 nts) - Guilin(1 nts) - Yangshuo - Guilin(1 nts) - Shanghai(3 nts) - Hong Kong(2 nts) [RDZH]
                  Cost $3799 + 100(NY air) - 300 early booking = $3599 for 12 Nights

Scenic Yangtze Discovery RDR 16 Days 14 Nights(2014) + Hong Kong air = 18 Days 16 Nights
                  Visiting: Beijing(4 nts) - Yichang - Yangtze River Cruise(4 nts) - Chongqing - Xian(2 nts) - Guilin(1 nts) - Yangshuo - Guilin(1 nts) - Shanghai(2 nts) - Hong Kong(2 nts)
                  Cost $3799 + 100(NY air) + 250(HK air) - 300 early booking = $3849 for 16 Nights (or 17 nights?)
                  That includes the air? Not a bad deal. Hmm!
                  Pat H

Comment

Originally posted by Pat H View Post
                    That includes the air? Not a bad deal. Hmm!
                    Yes, includes air from NY which is the + 100. You would have to check what your gateway airport would cost.
                    + 250 is the air add on for Hong Kong - will be using Marriott Reward Cat 5 certs for HK hotel stay of 2 or 3 nights.
                    Early booking credit ends 10/31, drops to $200 after that date until 12/31/13

Victoria Jenna

Enjoy enhanced amenities in Executive Superior Cabins and Suites!

Passengers in Suites and Executive Superior Cabins will receive the following services and amenities:

Complimentary morning coffee and tea service
                    Welcome Fruit Basket
                    Complimentary Wi–Fi service in the Executive Lounge and lobby areas
                    Complimentary internet computer usage in the Executive Lounge
                    Complimentary regular laundry service (up to 4 items per day, not available on embarkation & disembarkation days, no express service)
                    Nightly turn down service with printed Daily Itinerary
                    Complimentary shoeshine service
                    Diet soda included for lunch and dinner
                    Private shore excursions with 6 or more passengers in a particular group
                    Dining selection from two dining rooms (choice of dining room to be made at the beginning of the voyage). The Dynasty Dining Room offers buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, and the Captain's Farewell Banquet on the final night of the voyage. The A la Carte Restaurant offers buffet breakfast and lunch, and an a la carte menu at dinner.
                    Hot & Cold soft drinks available daily in Executive Lounge (Pepsi, Sprite, Juice, Coffee, and Tea)
                    Complimentary “Happy Hour” one hour before dinner in the Executive Lounge (including House Wine, Beer, and Soda)
                    Complimentary house wine and beer offerings at dinner
                    Reserved seats for evening entertainment may also be reserved through the Cruise Director by passengers purchasing the Executive Deck Program. We ask that those who have reserved seats arrive for the show 15 minutes prior to the scheduled starting time.
                    GrayFal
                    Last edited by GrayFal; 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM.
                    Pat
                    *** My Website ***

Comment

Smog again.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/latest-chin...055104682.html

Comment

Scenic Yangtze Discovery RDR 16 Days 14 Nights(2014) + Hong Kong air = 19 Days 17 Nights
                        Visiting: Beijing(4 nts) - Yichang - Yangtze River Cruise(4 nts) - Chongqing - Xian(2 nts) - Guilin(1 nts) - Yangshuo - Guilin(1 nts) - Shanghai(2 nts) - Hong Kong(3 nts)
                        Cost $2,799 trip + 1,000 air + 100(NY air) + 250(HK air) + 150 (Cathay Pacific) - 300 early booking = $3999 for 17 Nights
                        The winner!
                        Now all I have to do is wait until next year - and get that Visa!
                        Pat
                        *** My Website ***

Comment

Working...
                        X