2014 Pacific Rim Gewürz - $3.99 at Trader Joe's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Pacific Rim Gewürz - $3.99 at Trader Joe's

Stopped by my local Trader Joe's yesterday, and saw that they were selling 2014 Pacific Rim Twin Vineyard Gewürztraminer for $3.99/bottle. That is an outrageously good price. Almost any Pacific Rim offering under $8 is good.

This is off-dry. Tastes sweeter than it actually is due to the fruit. Has very good balancing acidity. This is a great summer sipper for the deck. Stock up if you see it.
    “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

I am not familiar with Pacific Rim, other than the movie and that was not all that great. But, that is a good price on the wine. I don't get to TJ often, but will look for that.
    Don

Comment

Originally posted by vintner View Post
      I am not familiar with Pacific Rim, other than the movie and that was not all that great. But, that is a good price on the wine. I don't get to TJ often, but will look for that.
      Two weeks ago I was at the Trader Joe's in Edina. They didn't have it. The clerk said they had received a shipment about one month ago, but it had sold out.

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I will go today to see if my store has it.

Comment

This must be a regional offer. Went to two TJs nearby and none of them carried this wine

Comment

It's funny that you wrote about this deal -- I had encountered a couple of bottles of this stuff last month, newly arrived on the shelves of my local Trader Joe's. So new, in fact, that the price sign was absent from the shelf. I bought two bottles anyway, because gewurztraminer is rarely carried at this TJ's and I happen to dig the stuff. When the cashier rang the bottles up at $3.99 apiece, my first thought was that this had to be a pricing error, as I am familiar with Pacific Rim winery's offerings and know that they sell for more than $3.99; indeed, their website lists this bottling as selling for $9.99. Your post confirms that this is no error, but, the pricing rationale is hard to fathom, as this wine sells online for no cheaper than $9.99 or so. I can't figure out how TJ's is getting it for so cheap, or, why Pacific Rim is selling it for so cheap.

That said, I agree with your tasting notes -- this is a great wine, more intriguing than sweeter gewurztraminers because of its dryness. $3.99 is a steal, for sure -- I bought more than three cases' worth, LOL.

Comment

Where do you live, guyjones?

Comment

For comparison purposes: https://wine.woot.com/plus/pacific-r...ef=wn_cnt_wp_7

Not the same wine, but same winery and IMHO similar quality - 6 bottles for $62.99. Offered at a site that offers competitive pricing on almost all of their offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaH View Post
                  Where do you live, guyjones?
                  Northern Virginia.

I'll be drinking this stuff for a while. I note that Pacific Rim's website now lists the 2015 bottling of this wine, selling for $15.00 (!).

https://www.pacificrimwine.com/produ...Gewurztraminer

Comment

Originally posted by guyjones View Post
                    Northern Virginia.

I'll be drinking this stuff for a while. I note that Pacific Rim's website now lists the 2015 bottling of this wine, selling for $15.00 (!).

https://www.pacificrimwine.com/produ...Gewurztraminer
                    I wound up getting a case of it, and it's all gone.

Comment

Working...
                    X