Donate to our school auction! 100% tax deductible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donate to our school auction! 100% tax deductible

On March 13, Warner Avenue Elementary School, a public school in the Los Angeles area, will hold its annual Spring Auction. This is our largest and most popular event of the year. I'm writing to solicit a donation of your timeshare. If you're not using your time share this year or next, why not get a tax write off. Donations are 100% tax deductible.

I hope you'll be able to donate to our school.

Thanks so much in advance for your help with our event! Please let me know if you have any questions (jverny@yahoo.com). Again, thank you!!!

Originally posted by jver View Post
    On March 13, Warner Avenue Elementary School, a public school in the Los Angeles area, will hold its annual Spring Auction. This is our largest and most popular event of the year. I'm writing to solicit a donation of your timeshare. If you're not using your time share this year or next, why not get a tax write off. Donations are 100% tax deductible.

I hope you'll be able to donate to our school.

Thanks so much in advance for your help with our event! Please let me know if you have any questions (jverny@yahoo.com). Again, thank you!!!
    The statement above - that donation of the use of your timeshare is tax deductible - is totally incorrect.

There is no deduction for donating the use of a timeshare. The only time a deduction can ever be taken for personal property is if the ownership of the property is donated, and then the amount of the deduction will be the fair market value; i.e., what the timeshare is worth on the resale market at the time of the donation (which is zero for many timeshares in the current market) and not the purchase price.

It's the same as if you owned a pressure washer and you spent a day cleaning the walls and sidewalks at the school; you can't then take a deduction for what it would have cost to rent a pressure washer to do the same job. The IRS doesn't let you work the tax system help defray the your cost to purchase items for personal use.
    “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

Discussed annually, at least....

Originally posted by IRS Publication 526 (2009)
      Partial Interest in Property

Generally, you cannot deduct a charitable contribution of less than your entire interest in property.

Right to use property.

A contribution of the right to use property is a contribution of less than your entire interest in that property and is not deductible.

Example 1. You own a 10-story office building and donate rent-free use of the top floor to a charitable organization. Since you still own the building, you have contributed a partial interest in the property and cannot take a deduction for the contribution.

Example 2. Mandy White owns a vacation home at the beach that she sometimes rents to others. For a fund-raising auction at her church, she donated the right to use the vacation home for 1 week. At the auction, the church received and accepted a bid from Lauren Green equal to the fair rental value of the home for 1 week. Mandy cannot claim a deduction because of the partial interest rule. Lauren cannot claim a deduction either, because she received a benefit equal to the amount of her payment.
      ... not enough time for all the timeshares ®

Comment

Working...
      X