preparing food in unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preparing food in unit

Do you have an easy and delicious casserole/meal you can totally prepare in your timeshare....assume that you have flown there and have no spices other than the salt and pepperusually provided. I find I'm always missing something.

Yeah I do, it's called tuna surprise.
    Well my brother actually makes it.
    It's just macaroni and cheese mixed with tuna.
    Maybe it's technically not a casserole but that seems to be our vacation food at least one day.

Comment

This one is super-easy. I usually saute some vegetables (carrot, onion, garlic, turnip, mushrooms) and then put them in the pot before putting it in to cook. I also add parsley if I have it, and sometimes tomato. It's darned hearty, though, so not ideal for summer!

Edited to add: I just changed the directions to show how I really do it.

Lentil Rice Casserole (from the Tightwad Gazette)

Ingredients

3 c. chicken broth
      3/4 c. lentils, uncooked
      1/2 c. rice, uncooked
      3/4 c. chopped onion

Combine all ingredients together in a heavy ovenproof dish with lid. Bring liquid to a boil on stovetop, then bake, covered, for 1 1/2 hours at 300°.

Comment

Our go to meal in a timeshare condo is spaghetti.
        Luanne

Comment

This super easy meal is my go to when I have to make a dish to bring somewhere:

1-1/2 lbs. boneless chicken breast, cubed
          1 bar cream cheese
          2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
          1 bag broccoli florets
          1 lb. pasta (I use Penne)
          1 envelope Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mix

Brown chicken in bottom of a large pot. Sprinkle with the salad dressing mix. Cut up bar of cream cheese and add the cans of soup - do not add any liquid. Stir it all up.
          Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes - stirring occasionally to fully melt the cream cheese. Bottom will get brown if you do not stir.

Boil up the pasta and the broccoli.
          Toss them in the pot with the chicken mixture and enjoy. (Like an alfredo)
          Jacki

Comment

we do spaghetti every time....trying to mix it up! Good ideas so far

Comment

The frozen chicken broccoli casserole from Costco is what we like to take for our first night.

A really easy recipe is to melt 4 - 5 tablespoons of butter in a pan and mix in 4 tablespoons of flour and then mix in a cup of milk and then mix in the squeezings of some salad shrimp and crab. You need two cups of liquid total so the squeezings need some water added to make one cup. Add a little salt and peper and keep stiring. Toss in the salad shrimp and crab. You can add a little red pepper, onion or whatever.

Make some linguine noodles. Pour some of this sauce over the noodles.

It doesn't need to be crab or shrimp. Chicken is pretty good, Oysters are pretty good. Clams are pretty good. Ground beef is pretty good. Sausage is pretty good.

Lobster is pretty good. Crab is my favorite. Salad shrimp is really good. Lobster, crab and shrimp is the best with a little bit of onion and red pepper.

Comment

These are my go-tos...

1. Entrée: Willow Tree chicken pie. Side: Can of veggies, cranberry sauce and box of fake mashed potatoes.
                2. Entrée: Spaghetti. Side: Tube of crescent rolls and salad.
                3. Entrée: Tacos Side: Bag of Mexican/Spanish Rice.
                4. Entrée: Chicken or Shrimp Mozambique. Side: Bag of yellow rice and salad.
                5. Entrée: Shake and Bake chicken breast. Side: corn, cranberry and stove top stuffing.
                6. Entrée: Hot dogs and Baked beans. Side: brown bread
                7. Entrée: Steak (if grill close to unit): Side: bag of frozen green beans and baked potatoe

I will typically make my food plan and bring a couple small containers of needed spices with me. They don't take up much room.

Comment

Originally posted by mdurette View Post
                  These are my go-tos...

1. Entrée: Willow Tree chicken pie. Side: Can of veggies, cranberry sauce and box of fake mashed potatoes.
                  2. Entrée: Spaghetti. Side: Tube of crescent rolls and salad.
                  3. Entrée: Tacos Side: Bag of Mexican/Spanish Rice.
                  4. Entrée: Chicken or Shrimp Mozambique. Side: Bag of yellow rice and salad.
                  5. Entrée: Shake and Bake chicken breast. Side: corn, cranberry and stove top stuffing.
                  6. Entrée: Hot dogs and Baked beans. Side: brown bread
                  7. Entrée: Steak (if grill close to unit): Side: bag of frozen green beans and baked potatoe

I will typically make my food plan and bring a couple small containers of needed spices with me. They don't take up much room.
                  very clever setup there i like it!

Comment

Originally posted by OldManBeholder View Post
                    very clever setup there i like it!
                    You are a great planner!

Comment

Originally posted by grest View Post
                      You are a great planner!
                      Yes.....Type A with a tad of OCD on the side!!!

When vacation is by car my husband cringes because he knows 1/2 the kitchen will be going with us in 2 Omaha Steak coolers and he will get the job of lugging them to/from the car.

Honestly....is all part of my justification for vacationing as much as we do. (Its so cheap, how can we not go!) Keeping the cost down with food in unit is part of it. All breakfast, a few snacks, drinks, a bit for lunch and 1/2 the dinners is planned for.

Comment

Originally posted by mdurette View Post
                        Yes.....Type A with a tad of OCD on the side!!!

When vacation is by car my husband cringes because he knows 1/2 the kitchen will be going with us in 2 Omaha Steak coolers and he will get the job of lugging them to/from the car.

Honestly....is all part of my justification for vacationing as much as we do. (Its so cheap, how can we not go!) Keeping the cost down with food in unit is part of it. All breakfast, a few snacks, drinks, a bit for lunch and 1/2 the dinners is planned for.
                        love keeping the costs down...you should hire yourself out for vacation planning!

Comment

1 can cream of celery soup
                          1 can cream of chicken soup
                          1 soup can of instant rice
                          3/4 soup can water
                          1 can chicken or tuna

Mix together and microwave covered for 10 minutes

Comment

Spices would be the only cooking thing I'd bring if we flew. I know some people put their spices in one of those big weekly pill thingies, which are about the right size IMHO, but you'd have to be careful to get one that seals nicely.

I used to figure out meals for the whole vacation before we went, but I couldn't break hubby of the habit of getting the biggest thing of whatever, and we're all really bad about getting stuff that isn't on the list, so now I don't buy ahead (we like grocery shopping together on vacation anyhow), take a long a stack of recipes that work most places, and our last day or last meal is leftovers (not always prepared food, but cheese left over from a recipe and whatever).

Italian Unstuffed

1 pound sweet Italian sausage
                            1 large, all-purpose potato, cubed
                            1 large red onion, halved and sliced
                            1 Tbs chopped parsley
                            1 1/2 tsps minced garlic
                            1 tsp dried oregano
                            1 tsp red wine vinegar
                            1/2 salt
                            2 ozs cubed mozzarella cheese (I kick this up if hubby got a big thing of cheese)

Remove sweet Italian sausage from casings. Place in a large skillet and cook over medium heat 1 minute, stirring to break up meat. Add cubed potato, red onion, chopped parsley, minced garlic, dried oregano, red wine vinegar and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir cheese into sausage mixture and serve immediately (I cook it a tad so the cheese is melty along the edges, however I also double or triple this so it might not be necessary).
                            Serves four

Hearty Sausage Supper

1 lb fully cooked bratwurst, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces
                            8 to 9 (1 lb) new red potatoes, quartered
                            4 medium carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
                            1/2 cup water (may want more)
                            1/8 tsp pepper
                            1 Tbs lemon juice (opt)
                            2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley (opt)

In large skillet, combine bratwurst, potatoes, carrots, water and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover; simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in lemon juice, sprinkle with parsley. (Or not -- hubby's made it without either, and I was the only one who noticed.)
                            4 servings.

Broccoli Tortellini Salad

7-oz pkg cheese tortellini
                            1 cup fresh broccoli florets
                            1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
                            1 Tbs chopped pimiento
                            6-oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
                            2 green onions, chopped
                            2 1/2 tsps chopped fresh basil or 1/4 tsp dried basil leaves
                            1/2 tsp garlic powder
                            1/2 cup prepared Italian dressing
                            5 to 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
                            sliced ripe olives, if desired
                            grated Parmesan cheese, if desired

Cook tortellini to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain; rinse with cold water.

In large bowl, combine all ingredients except cherry tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. Cover; refrigerate 4 to 6 hours to blend flavors. [Salad can be made a day ahead - add broccoli with tomatoes.] Just before serving, add tomatoes; mix lightly. Garnish with olives; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
                            6 (1-cup) servings

Comment

yum...just left MountainLoft II in Gatlinburg....will keep these in mind for next time

Comment

Working...
                              X