No announcement yet.

What was your first LP and CD purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your first LP and CD purchase?

I think mine will surprise some people that know me well.

First album purchase with my own $ in 1969 was The Beatles Sargeant Pepper.

First CD purchase was The Beatles Rubber Soul. and it was a back order.

I'm looking forward to your answers.
    Lawren
    ------------------------
    There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
    - Rolf Kopfle

I can't remember my first cd but I remember my first 45, Great Balls of Fire & Silhouettes. My first album was probably Elvis Presley. shaggy

PS. Looks like I'm showing my age.

Comment

What's an LP?????

Comment

I'm not sure I remember precisely.

I think my first LP was Strange Days by The Doors. I would have been 14 or 15 years old.

To this day it's one of my favorites. I remember being almost as captivated by the album art as by the music.

After listening to their album music (i.e, more then just Light My Fire) even to my musically uneducated ears it was clear that The Doors were doing music that was far beyond the pablum that was on the Top 40 playlists of the day. When they just wanted to rock out they were as good as anybody. I still regard Twentieth Century Fox as of the best straight rock songs I've heard. I was amazed it never got more radio play. Hello, I Love You is still a classic. But at the same time they did pieces that carried me a lot further than any other music I was listening.

I started buying everything they released, but by the fourth album it was clear the Strange Days album was going to be their musical peak. As they turned increasingly self-indulgent I tuned them out. By the time Jim Morrison died I had lost almost all interest in them. Kind of sad because they played a key role in starting up an enjoyment of music that continues to this day.

When I listen to their music now some of it is dated. But most of the first two albums is as good now as it was then. I have a WinAmp playlist that is the best of the first three or four albums, and it's classic stuff that hasn't lost a bit over the years.

My first CD may have been Funky Divas by En Vogue.

“Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

My sister and I shared "Meet the Beatles". My first CD was a Christmas recording, on sale after the holiday.

My first 2 45's were "Leader of the Pack" and "Last Kiss". Strangely both about death on the road. Lovely Christmas gifts.

Sue

Comment

First LP Neil Diamond - whichever was the one with Forever in Blue Jeans. Yep I was a nerd. First Cassette. Rush - Trees, Yep starting to develop a taste of music. First CD. Eric Clapton - Unplugged Now there is music. Oh yeah for the LP's I think I had every K-Tel Record that came out. They sold at the drugstore just around the corner for $1.99. Wish I still had them...

Comment

LP: James Taylor, Mudslide Slim and the Blue Horizon.
              I hate to admit that I also bought Seals and Crofts, Summer Breeze around the same time

CD: Surely something to replace one of my Grateful Dead albums. Or was it Physical Graffiti?

Comment

I still have the Seals & Croft album along with Captain & Tennille and asundry others. shaggy

Comment

I have no idea, but coincidentally I was packing away some 45's I had in my office last night. First LP may have been Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly, or Dion and the Belmonts. And I just heard cousin Brucey (for NYers) on the TV (PBS-Doo Woop special).

Comment

My first LP was Joan Baez in 1961. I played it over & over trying to learn to play the cheap guitar I bought. It drove my parents berzerk. I had lots of 45s. I used to go to the music store & spend hours in the little booth playing 45s and would pick 2 or 3 to buy. They were 99 cents each. I had a varied collection, Pat Boone, Everly Brothers, Telstar by the Tornados, The theme from Exodus. The only Beattles album I ever owned was Rubber Soul.

My first 8 track tape was John Denver. I never got into cassettes but went straight to CDs. My first purchase was When Hell Freezes Over by the Eagles. Most since then have been replacements of my old LPs & tapes. Mostly old folk music and a few country western & bluegrass.
                    The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all or cannot do so well for themselves”- Lincoln

Comment

I'm embarassed to say that it was:

Billy Don't be a Hero.

I was heavily influenced by my older cousin who lived with us when she was in High School. She loved those cheesy songs including the Carpenters.

Then, as a young teenager, I loved KISS and other rock bands. Then, I switched to Disco when I got to High School. In college, I switch again to New Wave and Michael Jackson.

I played in the Jazz band in High School and Marching Band in College, so I have somewhat eclectic taste in Music as a result.

I took a peek at Country when Shania Twain got popular. Now, I love Carlos Santana. I also love Flamenco and Brasilian Bossa Nova.

The only genre I really don't like is Rap. After all, it's talk, not music.
                      My Rental Site
                      My Resale Site

Comment

LP: "Meet The Beatles", January 1964. I stared at the cover day and night and imprinted on their faces. They still bring a big smile to my face anytime I see one of the (esp. Paul)

CD: no clue

Glad to see both they and the Dead are represented here.

Comment

LP: Meet the Beatles
                          CD: I think something by Carly Simon...

Comment

Feeling old....

Originally posted by lawren2 View Post
                            I think mine will surprise some people that know me well.

First album purchase with my own $ in 1969 was The Beatles Sargeant Pepper.

First CD purchase was The Beatles Rubber Soul. and it was a back order.

I'm looking forward to your answers.
                            ================================================== =====

My first LP purchase was the first Beatles album released in the U.S. Around 1964, I think it was entitled "Meet the Beatles", on Capitol Records. I was just learning to play guitar at the time and this album got a LOT of use.

Later dealt with tapes (yes, I admit, even doomed 8 track tapes) before switching to cassettes.

First CD purchased was "The Eagles". Don't recall which particular album it was (since I eventually got all of them), but probably Hotel California.

P.S. I knew that time was relentlessly passing by when one day back sometime around the 1980's, I was walking through the music section of a department store. Two teenage girls were looking through Paul McCartney albums (with his band "Wings" around that time, I think, although I personally was never a fan of post-Beatles Paul McC.). One of the young ladies was asking the other as I passed by within earshot: "Did you know that Paul McCartney used to play in another band?". I tried not to trip, slip, laugh or choke as just I kept right on walking.....feeling quite a bit older in that particular moment, which I still remember today as though it happened minutes ago.

Comment

Originally posted by djyamyam View Post
                              What's an LP?????
                              smart a$$.

Originally posted by Theo
                              P.S. I knew that time was relentlessly passing by when one day back sometime around the 1980's, I was walking through the music section of a department store. Two teenage girls were looking through Paul McCartney albums (with his band "Wings" around that time, I think, although I personally was never a fan of post-Beatles Paul McC.). One of the young ladies was asking the other as I passed by within earshot: "Did you know that Paul McCartney used to play in another band?". I tried not to trip, slip, laugh or choke as just I kept right on walking.....feeling quite a bit older in that particular moment, which I still remember today as though it happened minutes ago.

kinda like the first time a young man "ma'am' ed" me. as in "thank you ma'am". I went home cried, proceeded to get VERY drunk and cried some more. Now I hum to the muzak. How sad.
                              Lawren
                              ------------------------
                              There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
                              - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Working...
                              X