Getting Google off of a smart phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Google off of a smart phone

I have always preferred the more compact and easy to carry flip phones, but my wife talked me into getting a smart phone (Android, Motorola) and in studying it, I find it is preloaded with Google and with Google's Chrome browser.

I am not a fan of Google and want to change my browser and search engine. I intensely dislike Google's invasion of users privacy, and there are other issues I have with them like the political censorship they are accused of from both parties (Tulsi Gabbard currently has a lawsuit against them).

The browser I use on my computer is Brave, which has built in features that block trackers and also an ad blocker, and I want that on my cell phone. I use DuckDuckGo as a search engine and want to replace Google with it.

How difficult is it to make these changes on my smart phone?

go to your settings and look for google under notifications and block all, Down load the app you want to use and set it to be the default, IMO I like google it saves all your info so it can upload easy to your new phone so all your pics and passwords are saved
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Thanks. My problem with Google is that they collect so much of your data and don't even tell you. Also, there have been stories out for some time about their bias and censorship, but the recent extensive report in the Wall Street Journal has shown it goes far beyond politics, with general preferences in their manipulation of their algorithims to favor big entities over small entities. Think big business over small business.

I use Brave as a browser as it automatically blocks trackers and ads, helping keep your privacy. The company is run by a former CEO of Firefox. As a search engine, I use either Duckduckgo or the MyPoints search engine (really Bing) as I can get UA air miles on the latter.

I also do not use PayPal, as I had a really exasperating experience as a result of one of their asinine policies when I was working overseas. In doing some research, I discovered there were lots of reasons consumers should be wary of PayPal. See www.paypalsucks.com

Comment

Thanks. My problem with Google is that they collect so much of your data and don't even tell you. Also, there have been stories out for some time about their bias and censorship, but the recent extensive report in the Wall Street Journal has shown it goes far beyond politics, with general preferences in their manipulation of their algorithims to favor big entities over small entities. Think big business over small business.

I use Brave as a browser as it automatically blocks trackers and ads, helping keep your privacy. The company is run by a former CEO of Firefox. As a search engine, I use either Duckduckgo or the MyPoints search engine (really Bing) as I can get UA air miles on the latter.

I also do not use PayPal, as I had a really exasperating experience as a result of one of their asinine policies when I was working overseas. In doing some research, I discovered there were lots of reasons consumers should be wary of PayPal. See www.paypalsucks.com

Comment

My daughter in law who is more tech savvy than I am has tried to change the search engine and browser without success.

I called customer service at Motorola which made the phone, and they said you could not take Google off the phone as far as they knew and suggested I try Android customer service, but it looks like Google is connected to Android's customer service.

I am at a loss as I badly want Google off my phone.

Comment

My daughter in law who is more tech savvy than I am has tried to change the search engine and browser without success.

I called customer service at Motorola which made the phone, and they said you could not take Google off the phone as far as they knew and suggested I try Android customer service, but it looks like Google is connected to Android's customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post

I believe you can wipe all the OS from the phone but IMO I would not do it or you take a chance to void your warranty, You also take a chance that the phone may not work if not done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post

I believe you can wipe all the OS from the phone but IMO I would not do it or you take a chance to void your warranty, You also take a chance that the phone may not work if not done right.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
                  I talked to a local computer repair company today on the issue, and they said that it is not possible to replace Google as either the browser or search engine on an Android phone sold in the US. They are locked in. It is possible on an I-phone, and if I had known that I would have paid more for one so I could delete and replace Google. Apparently the EU compelled Android to allow other search engines on Android phones sold there, and if I had bought an Android phone in Europe, I could have replaced Google with my preferred search engine of DuckDuckGo. Apparently the EU is doing more to protect consumers from monopolistic practices than our government is. The guy I spoke to said he thought you could get other browsers on an Android phone sold in Europe, as well.

I am also not happy that there was no disclosure of being forced to use Google by the phone manufacturer. IMHO I was sold a pig in a poke.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
                    I talked to a local computer repair company today on the issue, and they said that it is not possible to replace Google as either the browser or search engine on an Android phone sold in the US. They are locked in. It is possible on an I-phone, and if I had known that I would have paid more for one so I could delete and replace Google. Apparently the EU compelled Android to allow other search engines on Android phones sold there, and if I had bought an Android phone in Europe, I could have replaced Google with my preferred search engine of DuckDuckGo. Apparently the EU is doing more to protect consumers from monopolistic practices than our government is. The guy I spoke to said he thought you could get other browsers on an Android phone sold in Europe, as well.

I am also not happy that there was no disclosure of being forced to use Google by the phone manufacturer. IMHO I was sold a pig in a poke.

Comment

Here is a good reason to beware of Google collecting so much information on anyone they can, such as users of their products.

A 30 year old guy got an email from Google saying the local police wanted his information and he had seven days to file an action in court to stop Google giving it to them. It turned out that an app he was using to measure how far he had riden his bike had put him near the scene of a burglary. The police had sent a "geo-fence" warrant to Google seeking info of anyone in the vacinity. That was enough to make him the prime suspect. To me, it is a huge invasion of privacy for Google to collect and keep such information. This guy had to get a lawyer to head off the police.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/he-wa...rglary-suspect

I would as soon have the KGB or CIA connected to one of my devices as Google. Between its dishonest search engine and its invasion of privacy, the farther I can stay from Google, the better.

Comment

Here is a good reason to beware of Google collecting so much information on anyone they can, such as users of their products.

A 30 year old guy got an email from Google saying the local police wanted his information and he had seven days to file an action in court to stop Google giving it to them. It turned out that an app he was using to measure how far he had riden his bike had put him near the scene of a burglary. The police had sent a "geo-fence" warrant to Google seeking info of anyone in the vacinity. That was enough to make him the prime suspect. To me, it is a huge invasion of privacy for Google to collect and keep such information. This guy had to get a lawyer to head off the police.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/he-wa...rglary-suspect

I would as soon have the KGB or CIA connected to one of my devices as Google. Between its dishonest search engine and its invasion of privacy, the farther I can stay from Google, the better.

Comment

Your only option is to get an Apple phone which IMO worst

Comment

Android is Google's operating system. It's impossible to get rid of it.

Buy the cheap iPhone instead. No Google on it.

Comment

Originally posted by buzglyd View Post
                              Android is Google's operating system. It's impossible to get rid of it.

Buy the cheap iPhone instead. No Google on it.
                              It is very dishonest of the sellers and manufacturers not to tell you this. Indeed, I would call it an unfair and deceptive business practice under consumer protection law.

From what I have learned, at least in Europe, the government forces them to let you use other search engines and browsers on Android phones. We need that level of consumer protection in the US.

Comment

Working...
                              X