Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please watch 60 Minutes Sunday. RE: H1B Visa Abuse

"Please don't turn this political. I want the correct message to get out."

The Blonde lady front row center is a personal friend and former co-worker Dawn Collins from Hicksville, NY. She and I were on the DBA team at New York Life. I parted ways with NYL in 2012. In the years since I left my former team mates have been fired and forced to train their offshore replacements.

I want to give a huge shout out to Dawn for getting the publicity out regarding this blatant corporate abuse of the American IT professional.

MARCH 16, 2017, 3:19 PM| It was supposed to give American companies access to the best tech talent in the world, but loopholes in the H-1B visa program allow firms to outsource American jobs and displace American workers. Bill Whitaker reports on Sunday, March 19 at 7:30 p.m. ET and 7 p.m. PT.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/preview-youre-fired/
    Flying at MACH4 +

My wife was talking about that this morning, we will probably be watching.

Comment

It is pretty hard for this not to be political. I was a software developer in Silicon Valley for several years. There are more H1B workers in Silicon Valley than all of the US. A large percentage of my co-workers were on H1B visas. I was a contractor so I worked with many different companies, large and small.

I have to say that I totally disagree with you. The H1B program needs to be expanded if anything. That is all I will say about it. I am a US citizen so I don't have any bias.
      John

Comment

Originally posted by JWC View Post
        It is pretty hard for this not to be political. I was a software developer in Silicon Valley for several years. There are more H1B workers in Silicon Valley than all of the US. A large percentage of my co-workers were on H1B visas. I was a contractor so I worked with many different companies, large and small.

I have to say that I totally disagree with you. The H1B program needs to be expanded if anything. That is all I will say about it. I am a US citizen so I don't have any bias.
        You are wrong in 2017.

John, you are missing the point here. The H1B program was started with good intention. However Corporate America is bringing in unqualified talent at low pay to undercut a knowledge backbone of the existing workforce.

The H1B is not being used as intended. It is being abused.

John I have to ask the last year you were actively employed. I get the sense you have been retired for many years. Correct me if I am wrong.

Flying at MACH4 +

Comment

The big 5 Indian consultant companies are also taking advantage of the H1B laws. Microsoft, Apple, and other Silicon Valley firms go out of their way to hire cheap labor via the H1B.

Hold on I have another piece of evidence to share as well. I will show you how labor law firms conspire to eliminate qualified American talent.

"Watch this video and keep it in mind the next time you hear a high-tech industry titan such as Bill Gates complain that he simply cannot find qualified American employees and therefore the country needs more H-1B visas: You'll see a panel discussion that looks like a sit-down with "the families" on The Sopranos, only instead of talking about organized crime these lawyers are discussing the ins and outs of helping employers side-step immigration law."

http://www.networkworld.com/article...eo-as-in-how-to-avoid-hiring-an-american.html

OK John let's get some more H1B's to shove qualified American job candidates to the unemployment line.
          Flying at MACH4 +

Comment

So what is your plan of action Billy M. Is there a formal procedure in place to help American tech workers in place ?

Comment

Well now you are asking me to get political. But I will send you an IM for my personal plan of action!

In the interim the Current Administration in the White House who shall remain nameless so I remain totally PC.... Has a cabinet that is prepared to revise this practice. My point here is to raise awareness of this scourge.
              Flying at MACH4 +

Comment

So corporate america will do anything to keep costs down and income up ... Who knew?

Comment

This link is now circulating on LinkedIN. Quote from
                  Jim Czuprynski

Senior Solutions Architect at OnX Enterprise Solutions

As the saying goes, "Sunlight is the best disinfectant." It is excellent to see CBS bringing this story to light, but it has been a well-known dirty secret of Information Technology for at least 15 years. I hope to see that this report focuses not only on the American workers displaced, but also reports on the relative lack of skills that is common among H-1B replacement workers as well. My IT colleagues and I have encountered numerous fake CVs, falsified skill sets, manufactured certifications and credentials, and even outright fraud - including cases where the technical screening for the actual applicant has been fulfilled by a completely different person. What needs to happen next is for my fellow IT workers to speak out about this morass of corruption among these outsourced IT candidates. If you want to bring your stories to light, send them to me, as I'm building a catalog of these anecdotal data points so that as an industry we can begin to quantify exactly what the damage has been to our professions and organizations.
                  Flying at MACH4 +

Comment

You're Fired.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/youre-fired/

Must watch 60 Minutes piece on H1B Abuse. It exposes the real issues and is a main stream media outlet that is bravely talking about the issue of H1B abuse. Please tell everyone to watch and to challenge President Trump to step up and act prior to the April deadline for an executive order. Also, challenge your congressmen to act. We need change.

http://protectusworkers.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RURAkekvOc
                    Flying at MACH4 +

Comment

The abuse is a crock.

But, it's a shame that all professional journalism has been brought into question.
                      RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

I watched 60 minutes last night. I certainly do not agree with bringing in foreign workers to be trained so they outsource the jobs which seems what they are talking about. This is a gross abuse pf the H1B visa program as was also stated on the show.

What needs to be done is enforce the H1B rules, not get rid of it. The purpose of the H1B visa was to allow highly skilled and educated workers to fill jobs that couldn't be filled by Americans. These workers that were on the show are definitely not in that category.

There is a real shortage of qualified software engineers and the H1B fills that void. In fact it needs to be expanded. I get 2-3 emails and phone calls a week offering me software engineering jobs. Even when I tell them I am retired they still want me to go to work. If there wasn't a shortage, they wouldn't be calling a retired guy who is over 70. Also salaries have increased rapidly in Silicon Valley. There are many startups in Silicon Valley employing Americans that were started by engineers that came to the US on H1B visas. I worked for one of these.

Yes, the abuse of the program needs to be stopped but don't eliminate the program. There was an article in a Canadian newspaper about the Canadian High Tech companies hoping that we stop the H1B program so the foreign engineers will go to Canada instead of the US. Many of those companies are branches of US companies like Microsoft, etc. The foreign engineers would rather work in the US but Canada is their 2nd choice and it will become their first choice if we stop them from coming here. That will result in a decline in the High Tech industry in the US. I don't think we want that to happen. There are 45,000 Canadian engineers working in the US. Most of these are on TSN visas that come under NAFTA.

One thing we should do is change immigration so it is merit based like it is in Canada. You get so many points for education, job skills, age ( younger is better ), etc. You have to get a certain number of points to apply for immigration. I don't want to get too political but President Trump does favor the merit based system.
                        John

Comment

Working...
                        X