My struggles with my Toshiba Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My struggles with my Toshiba Laptop

My Toshiba Laptop is getting old. I think I bought this on Black Friday in 2007. It has been a good enough for me laptop for personal use. I have another laptop for business that is much newer. Chrome and Microsoft have abandoned this laptop and Im currently using Opera. It has been crashing occasionally when programs try to update. Recently it was flash.

Today it took me about 90 minutes to get the laptop operating. As you can see, I won. I was thinking of getting another laptop but decided to see how long I can keep this laptop going. I hope to make it to next black friday.

I also have an old Toshiba that I bought when my old Dell started acting up. Have you checked for malware and cleaned up internet temporary files and registry errors ? There are a lot of things that can be done to improve performance.

Comment

I have an old one as well, Only issue some of the keys came off.
      Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

The only protection this laptop has is free AVG. Im only having problems when some thing tries to update. Other problems are the speakers are out and it weighs a lot. I clear the cookies and history every once in a while and it seems to be doing its own defraging. It is actually working pretty fast currently.

Comment

Tony is right. Cleaning out junk files, cleaning the registry, cleaning out tracking cookies etc. can make all the difference in the world. I use Advanced System Optimizer to keep everything running well. I have been using it for several years. I also use Norton, Scan Guard, and Spybot to take care of viruses and malware.
          John

Comment

This toshiba is a 2007 32 bit vista home version that microsoft and google no longer support so what I think is happening is flash or adobe tries to update and causes problems with the os ( opera). I haven't ever tried to clean the registry.

Comment

The registry is a major problem with the operating system. It has to be cleaned out periodically and defragged. If Microsoft had designed it properly, that wouldn't be necessary.

Other operating systems don't have that problem because when tasks exit the system, junk isn't left behind.
              John

Comment

Yesterday I bought a new Dell laptop with Windows 10. I think I do not like windows 10. I have been adding all of my favorite sites to the favorite list and I didn't realize how many travel related sites I use. So the travel folder is almost done. Next will be the forums. Some are done, but wow, I didn't realize how many forums I use. Most only seasonal like the fishing forums, motorcycle forums, scuba, snowmobiling and other fun stuff. Then it is the money stuff.

Everything works on this laptop but I'm not sure what the deal is with the word processer. It needs to be activated but I can't find the activation key. Maybe I have to pay extra for the key. I'm going to call Best Buy and see whats going on.

Comment

I have Windows 10 Professional on one of my laptops. I took advantage of the free upgrade from Windows 7.

I like it, especially the Edge browser.
                  John

Comment

I have my moments with EDGE but Windows 10 was not a difficult change over from 7 PRO and I do like it better.
                    Lawren
                    ------------------------
                    There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
                    - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Probably a little late for you, Bill, but Firefox has a sync option that will duplicate all you bookmarks and toolbars from another computer. That made it a one step move to get everything on my new computer a month or so ago.

I had windows 10 but went back to 7 pro when it was still a free upgrade. Never liked 10 and a few things just stopped working when I had it.

Comment

Working...
                      X