Had to Downgrade the site Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had to Downgrade the site Server

Due to the fact this site costs so much to run and it was costing me $175 a month just to host the dedicated server. I had to prepay on a shared server for a year to get about a $75 savings a month. This was a 3 tier downgrade. I could have gone down 1 more tier which may have worked. Even though I am saving in the long run it still kills me to spend over $1000 on a down grade,

If you notice any difference with the site speed let me know. If you do not see a difference then this was a good move. I was told that we should not see a difference. The Host Rep said we were driving a Rolls but now driving a Caddy, Still should be good not as good but good enough I hope.
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Thank you Frank, for all you do. It is much appreciated.
    Jacki

Comment

Yes, thanks so much. You are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Thanks.

Nancy

Comment

Frank, I appreciate what you do for this forum.

I think you can go even lower painlessly. Last time I had set up the website for my friend, I went with the unlimited plan which was ~$100/year. It's hard to imagine that such a low traffic website like timeshareforums.com can cost that much to host today. Usually, all plans are unlimited transfer and start from ~$5-6/month. They vary in memory space, disk space, Mbps speed and features.

You can probably go with some middle of the road plan and pay ~$200/year and everybody will be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrry94087 View Post
            Frank, I appreciate what you do for this forum.

I think you can go even lower painlessly. Last time I had set up the website for my friend, I went with the unlimited plan which was ~$100/year. It's hard to imagine that such a low traffic website like timeshareforums.com can cost that much to host today. Usually, all plans are unlimited transfer and start from ~$5-6/month. They vary in memory space, disk space, Mbps speed and features.

You can probably go with some middle of the road plan and pay ~$200/year and everybody will be happy.
            Not sure if you know that we are far from low traffic not to mention about 12 years worth of posts many of which non posting members and non donating members see plus I try to keep the site free from ads and try to make the site as fast as I can for our members so there is no hang time. I also pay extra for site scan so our site stays clean from hackers which is not factored in.
            Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Thanks Frank. We truly do appreciate all that you do!

Comment

Thanks Frank! Glad that there is a more economical solution. Thanks for trying to maximise site functionality but I don't mind if there's a bit of lag if it'll save you even more than this. Hoping costs will come down for you.
                Syd

Comment

Thank you so much for having this forum. I had no idea that it is so expensive to run it. I didn't notice any difference tonight and a Caddy should be more than good enough.

Comment

Thanks Frank for everything that you do for TSFM's. So far, I haven't noticed any change.
                    Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

I haven't noticed any difference, and even if I did it wouldn't matter. Just having this as a resource is invaluable. It is a shame there are so many guests and lurkers who never post. In the torrent world they call those leechers. Not sure when my membership renewal date is, but you can certainly count on me to continue contributing as long as the site is available.

Comment

Don't see any difference on speed either.

I propose a setup similar to TUG, where guests are welcome to lurk and/or post, and then have an annual membership fee for regulars. Then I would propose that any posts that calls a guest a "leecher" would automatically be deleted. Very few of us are currently paying anything, so in a sense, we're all leechers on this site.

Comment

I sure appreciate this site, Frank. How does one donate? Why don't you start a thread ASKING for money and put in all the details. It is okay to ask even though I think you are think you are one of those generous people who doesn't like to ask.
                          Pat H

Comment

Originally posted by Pat H View Post
                            I sure appreciate this site, Frank. How does one donate? Why don't you start a thread ASKING for money and put in all the details. It is okay to ask even though I think you are think you are one of those generous people who doesn't like to ask.
                            There is a link near the top of the page on the right side that says 'Become a site contributor'.

Comment

Originally posted by philsfan View Post
                              There is a link near the top of the page on the right side that says 'Become a site contributor'.
                              Thanks.
                              Pat H

Comment

Working...
                              X