NW Wine area resorts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NW Wine area resorts

The DW and I are thinking of spending a summer week in Seattle or Portland area. We would like to visit wineries and ocean if that works out. I have looked a little of the NW forum, but still don't have a 'we must go here' resort. Good restaurants and history is a plus.

I have Bluegreen, but the direct exchange resorts they offer is limited.

Any suggestions for Seattle or Portland would be helpful.

Thanks.
    Don

When we went to Seattle we used Priceline. I forget the name of the Hotel But I am sure Steve or Bill will chime in. I believe I paid $110 a night on a weekend during a Seahawks home game and the location was great
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

I love Seattle, and went there during my previous life. Ex and I house-sat for the Dr. who owned Sports Medicine Clinic (I think that was the name), that did that for Pro and college teams.

I went back for the wedding of my ex-BIL.

That was a long time ago.
      RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Willows Lodge is in the middle of the area's 'wine country'. Not Frank's $110 a night though.
        No one can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. - T. Bankhead

Comment

We stayed in Chelan Washington this summer. Lots of wineries around and a few timeshares. In Seattle we rented from Seattle Oasis. Not a timeshare but 1 bedroom condo within walking distance, some long, of most of sites of Seattle.

Nancy

ps. In Chelan, we stayed at Wapato Point. Gold Crown. I probably would not give it that high of rating, but it was fine and I'd stay there again. We loved the Chelan area.
          Nancy
          Platinum Contributor
          Last edited by Nancy; 10-14-2014, 02:06 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Originally posted by vintner View Post
            The DW and I are thinking of spending a summer week in Seattle or Portland area. We would like to visit wineries and ocean if that works out. I have looked a little of the NW forum, but still don't have a 'we must go here' resort. Good restaurants and history is a plus.

I have Bluegreen, but the direct exchange resorts they offer is limited.

Any suggestions for Seattle or Portland would be helpful.

Thanks.
            If you're looking for a timeshare I suggest Whispering Woods in Welches, Oregon. It's not "in" the wine country, but it's about one hour drive west from there to Yamhill County at the north end of the Willamette Valley and about 1-1/2 hours to Hood River. In less than an hour beyond Hood River you can be in the Horse Heaven Hills AVA. Welches is not far from Mt. Hood and Timberline, which is a beautiful WPA era historic lodge. Also about one hour from Portland. Drawbacks - about three hours drive, each way, to reach the ocean. Also,Welches gets rain. Lots of it. If you're not there in dry season, plan accordingly.

Anything in Seattle will give you easy access to Woodinville, with more wineries than you can imagine. Almost all of them are tasting rooms only. And none of them are estate. But you can probably do more tasting in less space than anywhere else in the US, Napa Valley included. Camlin is the only timeshare I'm aware of in Seattle.

Now, if you want Pinot Noir, Yamhill County and the north Willamette is where you want to head. As regards other reds, the farther inland you go, the better. IMHO, the area is Washington and Oregon near Walla Walla and Milton-Freewater are the most consistently high quality. You will probably find grapes grown in that area being used in of the wines available in tasting rooms in the Hood River and the Yakima Valley, and the closer you get to Walla Walla the more of it you will find. Nothing timesharing in that area.

If you're goal is to stay in either Portland or Seattle, that simplifies things greatly. If you want Pinot Noir (and some other cooler weather varietals) and you want to do estate tasting, then Portland is what you want. If estate tasting isn't significant, then Seattle/Woodinville is a good choice.
            “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
              When we went to Seattle we used Priceline. I forget the name of the Hotel But I am sure Steve or Bill will chime in. I believe I paid $110 a night on a weekend during a Seahawks home game and the location was great
              IIRC you were at the Edgewater.

Comment

I guess it depends on what your looking for. History and restaurants would be Seattle, imo. If your doing a wine tour and wanting to visit wineries then the Yakima Valley through the Walla Walla Valley is the area to visit. Steve has it figured out with the Walla Walla area as it is more scenic than the desert area of the Yakima Valley.

Whispering Woods in Welches is a beautiful resort that isn't too far from the Willamette Valley. Its about a hour drive into Portland unless you stuck in traffic.

You might have to do a few nights in some b&b's or vrbo type rental before or after your timeshare stay to really experience wine country.

Comment

Originally posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
                  If you're looking for a timeshare I suggest Whispering Woods in Welches, Oregon. <SNIP>
                  If you're goal is to stay in either Portland or Seattle, that simplifies things greatly. If you want Pinot Noir (and some other cooler weather varietals) and you want to do estate tasting, then Portland is what you want. If estate tasting isn't significant, then Seattle/Woodinville is a good choice.
                  Great info.
                  We have been trying to book Whispering Woods online. Either they are fully booked in July or they have not opened up the availability to Bluegreen.
                  With the info you have provided, we will be looking into RCI to see what they can find for availability for us.
                  Don

Comment

Great info.
                    We have been trying to book Whispering Woods online. Either they are fully booked in July or they have not opened up the availability to Bluegreen.
                    With the info you have provided, we will be looking into RCI to see what they can find for availability for us.
                    Trading Places is a good place to look for WW inventory.

Comment

We are booked into Whispering Woods for July! Now I just need to get flight and car. We don't do anything last minute.

A new wine area for us will be explored for the perfect noir.
                      I have a co-worker who used to live out there who is offering suggestions for wineries to visit. He is also a home winemaker so does have a back ground that I can trust. I have a former high school classmate living in that area that I may also contact.
                      Don

Comment

We are booked into Whispering Woods for July! Now I just need to get flight and car. We don't do anything last minute.

A new wine area for us will be explored for the perfect noir.
                        I have a co-worker who used to live out there who is offering suggestions for wineries to visit. He is also a home winemaker so does have a back ground that I can trust. I have a former high school classmate living in that area that I may also contact.
                        Congratulations. I hope you have a great trip.

Comment

Working...
                        X