NYC Restaurant week, 7/10-7/14 and 7/17-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC Restaurant week, 7/10-7/14 and 7/17-21

they have been running this twice a year during 'slow' season, last one was winter. Some of the restaurants do continue these or similar specials during the season as well

"New York’s finest restaurants are serving up three-course prix-fixe lunches for $24.07 and/or three-course dinners for $35.00. Beverage, tax and gratuity are additional."

Not all the restaurants serve both lunch and dinner, there are more lunches than dinners available. Look for the 'L" and "D" above the listing.

http://www.nycvisit.com/RestaurantWeek

Sounds great, but the link doesn't work for me...
    Life is short, live it with this awareness.

Comment

Sorry bout that, link should work now!

Comment

If your gonna be in the city during those weeks, there are some worthwhile deals to be taken advantage of......
        Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

Need Recommendations for Restaurant Week

We'll be at the Manhattan Club that first week (Thanks SFX!), but WE NEED RECOMMENDATIONS!!

I clicked on the link and there's a very large group of restaurants participating.
          But, as a tourist I have an uncanny knack for picking the **worst** places instead of the best.

We'd probably want to do lunch instead of dinner, since it's a little less expensive and we'll be a group of 5. Although maybe dinner is a better value??

Any thoughts?

--- Rene McDaniel

Comment

Rene,

I think in this situation, dinner is a better deal than lunch. Lunch is $24.00 PP, dinner is $35.00 PP. It is usually easier to find a reasonably priced lunch in the city than dinner, so $35.00 for a good three course meal is a great price. Maybe you can do one of both.

If you give us an idea of the type of food you enjoy, steak, fish, Italian, etc., we can recommend some restaurants.....

PS...

Let us know if you are traveling with children.
            Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

I agree with Angela re dinner vs. lunch. But if you're like us, you will run up your tab with drinks/wine at dinner

Here are some of my thoughts on places from the list. I have only included places I would recommend, or those I would not. I left out the 'in betweens.' Hopefully someone will add a few, since we haven't hit all of them (at least not yet )

Oh, MAKE RESERVATIONS SOON, Restaurant week gets these places busy, we had some trouble getting in to where we wanted last time.

Aureole: Fine french 'upper east side.' More formal atmosphere. One of the city's best for a long time, still gets a 27 from Zagat's for food (that is very very high, highest score is 28). Only offering lunch, but their regular lunch Prix Fixe is $35.

Bond 45: In the theatre district, big bustling steakhouse-type restaurant in a converted old department store. We had a good meal here recently. Offering lunch and dinner, the dinner would be a bargain here.

Cafe Boulud (lunch only). If I had to pick one favorite chef, it'd be Daniel Boulud. This is his 'casual' 'less expensive' restaurant, can't go wrong here. On the upper east side, you could combine this with an afternoon at the Metropolitan Museum.

Cafe Des Artistes: We have been disappointed with our last few meals here

Chez Josephine (dinner only): on West 42nd, this is a good pre-theatre destination depending on the theatre. We love the kitschy deco decor, and there is live piano every night. Sometimes there's an off player, but the regular guy is pretty good. Food is french, good.

Dawat: (lunch and dinner) If you like Indian food, go! This is upscale Indian, very fine.

db Bistro Moderne: Daniel Boulud "bistro" style. You can't go wrong here. This is theatre district.

Gotham Bar and Grill (lunch only): I would recommend this as much for the place itself as for the neighborhood it's in. This has been a hit in the city for many years, and it's in Greenwich Village, convenient to both East and West Village, or you could head north to Chelsea.

Gramercy Tavern (lunch only). I love this place. Great selection of oysters! Also in a great neighborhood.

Indochine (Dinner only): I love this place too!!! Asian/fusion, great decor, a staple on the downtown scene for years. Across from the public theatre, also convenient to East Village, Soho. They always have a $35 prix fixe pre-theatre, but this will allow you to go a bit later. But if you are going to see Blue Man Group, this is right next door (that would make for a fun night if you haven't seen Blue Man Group).

Mercer Kitchen (lunch and dinner): Good food in a dark, hip room, in the heart of Soho. Plan an afternoon of shopping in Soho, stop in for dinner. If you are looking for lunch in Soho, my favorite is Peep for Thai food on Prince Street (177 Prince Street near Sullivan). You don't need a restaurant week special, lunch is about $8 for an appetizer and main course. Excellent food, and one of my favorite bathrooms. They make really good Mojitos if you want to add some liquor dollars to your bill...

Nobu (lunch only): I wouldn't recommend bothering for lunch. We went last time, it was pretty dead and we left hungry. Nobu used to be the big hot japanese place, but it now seems a little tired. If you want to go to say you went to Nobu, then do it, but otherwise I would pass.

One if By Land, Two if By Sea (dinner): In the heart of the west Village, a favorite among many, though we haven't been.

Petrossian (lunch and dinner): Famous russian restaurant. Near the Manhattan Club. We haven't been, but friends like it. They do run lunch/brunch specials all the time, but dinner is probably a good deal.

Central Park Boathouse (lunch): I would recommend this just to be by the lake in Central Park

The Modern-Bar Room (dinner only): this is a new addition next to the Museum of Modern Art. The main restaurant is getting great reviews, the discount is for the bar room rather than the main restaurant, but I would go. We haven't been yet, but are planning on going

ViceVersa (lunch and dinner): Excellent choice for pre-theatre, we had a terrific meal here a few weeks ago. Contemporary italian.

Thalia: We also ate here a few weeks before theatre and loved it. It is a refreshing addition to the theatre district, spacious and hip (great bathrooms too). Excellent food, sort of asian/fusion/eclectic. www.restaurantthalia.com

Montrachet: generally good, but we found the prix fixe to be poorly executed. They do offer it year round, btw. But I would go again on a Monday anytime, for BYOB nite, it's neat to watch all the oenophiles ogling each other's bottles.

Comment

Working...
              X