Just saw 14 turtles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saw 14 turtles

Down at the Black Sands Beach on the BI (of course!). we're staying at Sea Mountain and walked down, and saw several along the beach and several in the water. Such fun
    7 years of fulltime timesharing, only 6-7 months, now based in Puyallup, WA
    www.ronandjoanjourney@blogspot.com

Awesome! Punalu'u Beach is honu sightings guaranteed! Love it there. Enjoy!

Comment

It is fun to see them and it is even more exciting to swim with them. I only snorkel so saw the turtles from above and they are so graceful in the water. My husband used to dive so saw much bigger ones at a favorite diving spot on Maui where they took them to on a boat. He told me that they were as big as a Volkswagen but I doubt that.

I also remember driving by a beach on the Big Island where people were snorkeling and dolphins were right there with them. We had our snorkel gear with us so jumped in and saw them too but they are super fast swimmers in comparison to the turtles and they jumped over and over again. What a thrill that was. We have never experienced this on Maui yet.

Is the volcano active still and how long will you be staying on the Big Island, Joan? Will you be back at PV this winter?

Comment

Just home from a couple of weeks on the Big Island and a couple of weeks on Kauai. There seemed to be lots of turtles in the water this year!

And the volcano is AMAZING right now.

Comment

Counting down to a Partridge in a Pear Tree?

It is great that you saw them. Best we can claim is a sea turtle nest near our unit this past autumn. Notices, police tape, and much anticipation that everything would go well.

Comment

When I got down here, I noticed a sizeable burrow dug next to the side of our house. My neighbor's wife is a local and when I showed it to her, she said we had a gopher.

No, I said, a gopher is much smaller.

When I showed it to her husband, he added the word tortoise.

Oh.
            RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

How exciting! I have never seen turtles on the beach but have swam (snorkeled) with them this year in Barbados and St Thomas - I had my first encounter a few years ago in St John - it is really magical.
              Pat
              *** My Website ***

Comment

When we were there several years ago the college students were putting identification tags on them. It was really interesting to watch.

Lynn

Comment

I'm watching an endangered turtle and tortoise story on 60 Minutes.
                  RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                    I'm watching an endangered turtle and tortoise story on 60 Minutes.
                    We are too, great story...so sad what people do to them.

=iconnections= how long will you be staying on the Big Island, Joan? Will you be back at PV this winter?
                    We're here for a month. and yes, we'll be in PV in Feb , (St Augsutine FL in January.)
                    GrayFal
                    Silver Contributor and supermoderator
                    Last edited by GrayFal; 12-10-2012, 08:20 AM. Reason: fix quote
                    7 years of fulltime timesharing, only 6-7 months, now based in Puyallup, WA
                    www.ronandjoanjourney@blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by ronandjoan View Post
                      We are too, great story...so sad what people do to them.
                      Well, when you're impoverished, you don't think the same as those who are not. If someone will give $60,000 for a turtle, it's hard to say no.

Comment

Working...
                      X