No announcement yet.

Hurricane water hack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in Tampa area and we survived fine. Just now got electric plus tv and internet. Damage in our area was mostly trees and limbs down. Sometime they got houses, cars etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy View Post
      I'm in Tampa area and we survived fine. Just now got electric plus tv and internet. Damage in our area was mostly trees and limbs down. Sometime they got houses, cars etc.
      Thank goodness. It could have been much worse.
      Jacki

Comment

Chris posted on FB that she is fine also.

Comment

almost everyone I know lucked out but one. A close friend has a house on the canal his two neighbors had major damage he escaped with just plant damage his house stood up
          Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Sorry I disappeared but it's been a crazy month.

Originally posted by T. R. Oglodyte View Post
            Fill the bathtub (but don't use it to take a bath).
            I only have a walk in shower so I just filled up empty kitty litter bins.
            Worked great but luckily we didn't lose water and surprisingly the water dept.
            didn't lose power so we didn't go on a boil water order.

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
            If you run out of water you can get some out of your hot water tank. There is a valve at the bottom to let water out. Make sure to turn the power off first. If you have some Iodine you can clean your other water up. If its clear 5 drops per quart and if its cloudy 10 drops per quart.
            Bill
            I have a tankless water heater so wouldn't work but good idea for those who do.

Originally posted by Icc5 View Post
            One tip I heard was your dishwasher will keep water in or if closed will keep water out so it is a good place to store valuables/pictures,documents to keep them safe and undamaged.
            Good luck to all and stay safe.
            Bart
            Lots of people put valuable documents in the dishwasher.
            I imagine if you put them in zip loc bags it should work.
            I just put them in plastic bags and inside drawers.

Originally posted by rapmarks View Post
            I am not in Florida and quite worried about our home in estero. The manager of our community has been great, with daily communication regarding the situation and what is planned. Chris be safe, hold on to those kitties
            How did your home do Pat?

Another tip I saw, fill you wash machine with ice. You can put water bottles in to keep cold
            I'm so used to room temp that I don't even worry about ice anymore.
            But boy was it hot with no AC.
            And no breeze at all once the storm passed.
            It was eerie.

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
            Do you have a safe room at your place ? If not, a closet or bathroom in the center of your place might work out.
            No I don't have a safe room.
            I do have an interior bathroom but the wall is only drywall
            and faces the stairwell which has 2 stories of plate glass that faces east.
            If it were to blow then that bathroom wall would easily go too.
            Not any real good place to hide in my place if the window blows.
            I ended up going west to the suburbs with mom at her house.
            I live right across the bay on the Street that was on CNN that flooded, Brickell Ave.

Originally posted by ronparise View Post
            I left south west Florida for Orlando yesterday. We expect to lose power here and we will get high winds, but nothing like what we will get at home (cape coral). The big plus here is no storm surge

Ive prepped the house as good as I can, but god knows what Im going to find when I next see it
            How did you do?
            Any damage?

Chris, are you okay?
            Major flooding in Our subdivision and no one has reached our street or let us know. No contact with several people who remained in place. Power out and spotty cell service. One person lost a roof and it landed on neighbor lanai and truck. Several pictures of trees down on houses and water very high in streets.
            Yes we totally dodged this bullet and I am fine.
            I did get sick after the storm which sucked but our homes weren't damaged
            except for trees and fences down.

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
            With evacuations and power outages, it would not at surprising if we didn't hear from our Floridians for days.
            Yeah once electric goes so does cell and internet.
            Then there is absolutely nothing to do! LOL
            I can't believe how addicted i am to all things internet.

Originally posted by Nancy View Post
            Chris posted on FB that she is fine also.
            Sorry guys and gals. I did post on FB.
            That's because I was getting all sorts of frantic texts and messages
            that i couldn't read because we had nothing. No electric, gas or cell.
            Totally sucks. Like being in a 3rd world country.

Comment

Welcome back Chris!
              Jacki

Comment

Originally posted by jackio View Post
                Welcome back Chris!
                Thanks.
                Glad to be back.
                I missed you guys.

I had two vacations cancelled because of this hurricane.
                I didn't purchase insurance on either of them but
                RCI let me book something else for free and so did II.
                I had bought the re-trade on the II exchange and had
                one re-trade left but I had to do it on the phone.
                Unfortunately II gave me a replacement week with a
                30 day restriction on it. I was able to use it for Orlando
                so it's okay but then ended up re-trading another week
                that I had exchanged in Orlando and got something
                better in the end so all worked out okay.

Comment

Chris, we heard our home did fine. I left food in the refrigerator and we had no power for three days, so I will be cleaning that out when I return in one week. They posted drone photos of our subdivision and it looks like the landscaping is still there. I heard hundreds of trees came down in our subdivision. The eye went right over it,.

Comment

Chris, we heard our home did fine. I left food in the refrigerator and we had no power for three days, so I will be cleaning that out when I return in one week. They posted drone photos of our subdivision and it looks like the landscaping is still there. I heard hundreds of trees came down in our subdivision. The eye went right over it,.
                    Oh wow. 😳
                    Glad you weren’t there.
                    That’s scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not taking any chances, throwing all food away. We lost the cover on the outside phone box, and the outside light is twisted and destroyed. Our yard looks okay, lost one palm tree and all the leaves on our oleander bushes. There are loads of tree stumps when you ride around the community, and lots of trees with maybe one or two branches left. Lots of plants destroyed where we had standing water, maybe two feet deep. They are still removing dumpsters of yard debris daily. Our manager was great, communicating daily before the storm, and leading the clean up effort. Those that stayed in the community worked hard to clean up debris for their neighbors. One blue tarp in the subdivision and the poor guy bought the house in the spring, went back to Canada, never lived in t.

Comment

Working...
                      X