Powell Place in San Fran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powell Place in San Fran

I'll be staying in Powell Place this summer. I have decided to fly, but am trying to decide on renting a car vs. public transportation. I know I'd prefer public transportation, but want to see if it is easy to get where I want to go. I was going to post this in Ask SFX and direct it to Mark, but thought others here may have stayed at Powell recently.

Places we will go from Powell Place:

Chinatown
    Alcatraz
    Golden Gate Park
    Fisherman's Wharf
    Lombard Street - my son has never been to SF, so I want to show him that.

We rented a car when we stayed there but only used it to travel outside of SFO. Prob not worth it for you. Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf are accessible by trolley. The boat to Alcatraz leaves from near Fisherman's Wharf. Lombard street is close to Powell Place, but you will want to either drive or walk it, unless you want to just look at it from the street below. We took a bus to Golden Gate Park and rented bikes just outside. Cabs are easy enough too.

There may be other ways to get around, I'm not that familiar with the busses and their equivalent of the subway, but you really don't need a car. Traffic is manageable once you get used to the giant hills, but parking is a big PIA.

Comment

All very manageable with Mass Transit. We went to all those places and more using trolley and buses when we stayed at Donatello. I would not rent a car unless you get one for a day trip. They have multiday discounts for the trolley not sure about the buses.

Coit Tower is great for the view, Twin Peaks as well. There is a very nice Japanese garden in Golden Gate Park and an historic glass house in the botanical garden located there. The zoo was cute but the bus ride was rather long.
      Lawren
      ------------------------
      There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
      - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

When I was there last with my niece (aged 18 at the time) I rented a car for one day. We used taxis, walked and also the trolley and bus. I only rented the car because we wanted to see a friend who lives in Brentwood and needed to drive there.

Public transportation is excellent in San Francisco. We stayed at the Donatello.

Joy
        “ Peace, if it ever exists, will not be based on the fear of war but on the love of peace. ”

— Herman Wouk

Comment

I lived in the San Francisco Bay area and have stayed in the city many times. There is absolutely no way that I would rent a car to travel around the city. The city is very compact and there is good public transportation. Parking is very expensive and difficult to find.

When my wife and I lived in the Bay area, we would drive to the nearest BART station and take BART into the city leaving our car at the station. From there we would either walk, take the muni, or taxi to where we wanted to go.
          John

Comment

Get the week-long mass transit pass that includes buses, trolley cars, and street cars. We bought ours at the desk in the luggage claim at SFO. Inexpensive way to go everywhere for the week. If I remember correctly, each pass cost something like $50.

Comment

You could spend a good 5 days in the park alone.

Golden Gate Park - San Francisco, CA

Now I have to go back and it's all your fault!
              Lawren
              ------------------------
              There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
              - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Originally posted by Presley
                I'll be staying in Powell Place this summer. I have decided to fly, but am trying to decide on renting a car vs. public transportation. I know I'd prefer public transportation, but want to see if it is easy to get where I want to go. I was going to post this in Ask SFX and direct it to Mark, but thought others here may have stayed at Powell recently.

Places we will go from Powell Place:

Chinatown
                Alcatraz
                Golden Gate Park
                Fisherman's Wharf
                Lombard Street - my son has never been to SF, so I want to show him that.
                Hi Presley - Don't rent a car for your city stay. Everything is easily accessible by walking, taxis or cable car. Not to mention parking on the street is close to impossible, and a parking garage is very expensive.

If you want to take excursions out of the city, eg. Monterey, Carmel, Napa Valley... rent a car just for those day trips.

You will have a Great Trip !!

Thanks,
                Mark @sfx
                Member Communications
                SFX Video

Comment

What dates during the summer? August 10 - 12 Golden Gate Park will be overrun for Outside Lands. You won't want to be in that location unless you have tickets for the event.
                  Luanne

Comment

How old is your son?

Comment

Originally posted by happymum View Post
                      How old is your son?
                      Are you thinking Segway down Lombard?
                      Luanne

Comment

Why, yes I was ! How did you guess??

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne View Post
                          Are you thinking Segway down Lombard?
                          Originally posted by happymum
                          Why, yes I was ! How did you guess??
                          Wow, never would have thought about doing that. He is closing in on 16 years. In fact, he will have his driving permit. Maybe I can have him learn to drive on Lombard. Just kidding, of course!!!

Thanks for all the responses. I am looking forward to it.

BTW, we are going in July, so we don't need to worry about Golden Gate park.

Comment

Originally posted by Presley View Post
                            Wow, never would have thought about doing that. He is closing in on 16 years. In fact, he will have his driving permit. Maybe I can have him learn to drive on Lombard. Just kidding, of course!!!

Thanks for all the responses. I am looking forward to it.

BTW, we are going in July, so we don't need to worry about Golden Gate park.
                            Happymum has done the Segway down Lombard (and lived to tell ). She's a lot more adventureous than I am. I have ridden (not driven) down it in a car. That was good enough for me.
                            Luanne

Comment

I have driven many times down Lombard ( Crookedest street ) from one end to the other. I am not too sure I would want to do it on a Segway. When we lived in the Bay area we had several visitors that wanted to go see the city. Driving down Lombard was one of the must do/see things. It was like we were running a tour for our friends and relatives visiting the area. I had a set route to drive through San Francisco and Suasalito. Some of the things on my tour were The Presidio, Lombard Street, Coit Tower, Twin Peaks, Golden Gate Park, under the Golden Gate Bridge, etc., etc. Of course we did the standard places like Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, etc.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X