Donita's Email was hijacked,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donita's Email was hijacked,

I just spoke with her and she is OK, She had no idea her email was hijacked.

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I came down here to London, United Kingdom for a short vacation. unfortunately,we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash and credit card were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.

We've been to the Embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves in few hours from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills. Well I really need your financial assistance..Please, let me know if you can help us out?

Am freaked out at the moment!!

Donita
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Interesting. My husband received almost that exact email from someone visiting Spain.

Comment

This one is particularly nasty, wow. I wonder how many people get taken in by this. How does it work? Is the reply going to a masked address that is visible on close inspection of the reply address or do they really have access to the email of the person whose contacts they've stolen?

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
        This one is particularly nasty, wow. I wonder how many people get taken in by this.
        Because she deals with TRAVEL they were smart picking her to use as bait, I admit that I had a 50/50 idea that it was a Phising attempt. But then was wondering that it could be a real cry for help and that is why Called her. Now I have no idea what I was reading cause I thought she was here in NY which made it look to me even more real. But when I read it to Donita I saw that the email said that she was in London which should have put up a Red flag right there. Either way I am glad I contacted her so she can make changes to her password.

Comment

e-mail hijacked

Thank you so much Big Frank, yes my e-mail was hijacked and thanks to you I was on top of it before they got to my credit cards.

I changed all my passwords and am really sorry that this happened, I still don't know how as I am so careful.

To set the record straight, I am in San Diego where I have been since 1997.
          Things are going well.

Have a great evening

Donita

Comment

Donita get your self a good virus scan and spy ware that updates daily and is live so when you click on a link or open an email it will stop it. You most likely clicked on an email link that took over your account.

You do not have to pay to get a good virus and apy ware scans. There are many good free anti virus out there. I use AVG and Lavasofts Ad a ware/

Comment

e-mail hijacked

Thank you Big Frank, I will work on that in the morning. I thought I had good protection--but I will find a better one.

Donita

Comment

More ways accounts get hacked

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
                Donita get your self a good virus scan and spy ware that updates daily and is live so when you click on a link or open an email it will stop it. You most likely clicked on an email link that took over your account.

You do not have to pay to get a good virus and apy ware scans. There are many good free anti virus out there. I use AVG and Lavasofts Ad a ware/
                Donita,
                glad to hear BigFrank called you and all is well now.

In case the info below helps someone else.....

My hotmail and facebook accounts were hacked when I accessed them from a Best Western in Obregon, Mexico (on the hotel strip there) in April 2011. When I reached Scottsdale the next evening and used a resort computer in their lobby while I was checking in I realized I could NOT sign into either hotmail or facebook. And those were the ONLY two websites I had checked the night before.

My netbook had updated Norton 360. In my case, I suspect someone at the Best Western got into computers using the UNSECURED WiFi. I could be wrong about how it happened though.

The security questions for my passwords had been changed. Luckily, since I pay the $20 extra for either MSN or hotmail plus (I can't remember which charges it every year) I was able to call a toll free number, then answer a ton of questions to prove I was the real account owner. They wanted to know subject lines of emails I recently sent before it was hacked etc and lots of stuff only the real account owner would know.

After another 24 hours I was able to gain access to my accounts and change passwords. I can't remember facebook's procedure but it took about a full day. But it might have happened on a weekend and they might have added to the delay.
                My Website Link Oked by BF

Comment

e-mail hijacked

Thank you, I have my computer man coming in to put new security on my machines and trying to retrive my address book from MicroSoft Outlook.

Even thought this has been a very bad experience the bright light is having so many caring people out there calling and e-mailing. I just hope no one sent money.

Take care

Donita

Comment

I wrote to her when I got the obvious scam, there was no 50/50...
                    Maybe she's not getting all her emails either.
                    ... not enough time for all the timeshares ®

Comment

e-mail hijacked

Thank you Spence

I am getting e-mail since late afternoon yesterday the rest were stolen along with my address book.

I just got another form only it is for SBC Global and it the same that caught me. This one has an e-mail address and I plan on giving it to the FBI. Something has to be done. I would hate anyone to send money.

Take care

Donita

Comment

A friends account was hacked and it seemed that they targetted his email from a LinkedIn page where he had his personal email and work title.

This one said he was in Barcelona when his money, CC and passports were stolen. He had been in Barcelona before and my brother in law did have his wallet stolen when he was in Barcelona a couple of summers ago. Fortunately he was traveling with my sister and their kids and his brother and his family so they were not totally stranded.

I know my sister got into some issues on a previous trip when they flagged her CC due to the travel since she forgot to notify them she was going on vacation so only had 1 CC that soon hit its limit with hotel charges and they were hitting ATMS a lot to take out cash for restaurants, etc.

The replied to for that phishing email was similar to his personal email but @ymail.com rather than @gmail.com.

when he recovered his account a few weeks later from gmail, his address book was gone and no record of who was send the phishing email.
                        Traveling Broadens the mind and I want to do more French Quarter Fest in New Orleans is my favourite festival

Comment

Originally posted by flexible
                          My hotmail and facebook accounts were hacked when I accessed them from a Best Western in Obregon, Mexico (on the hotel strip there) in April 2011. When I reached Scottsdale the next evening and used a resort computer in their lobby while I was checking in I realized I could NOT sign into either hotmail or facebook. And those were the ONLY two websites I had checked the night before.

My netbook had updated Norton 360. In my case, I suspect someone at the Best Western got into computers using the UNSECURED WiFi. I could be wrong about how it happened though..
                          It's more likely that someone had installed a keystroke logging program on the resort computer.
                          “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

Donita

Thank you all for your concern, I know it is something that is happening to many people. I always am so careful, I will be even more so now.

Take care

Donita

Comment

What, that was a fake??? Great, how do I get my $1000 back now? Does TS4Ms have a reimbursement fund?

only kidding... if you couldn't tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X