No announcement yet.

Another Interesting Post on Ask RCI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a vacation guide at RCI, so I will try to answer the questions from the first post. Keep in mind that I do not speak "on the record" for RCI. Just from personal knowlege and experience.

My questions to you, Madge, are:
    1. From what inventory are these weeks being made available from? Spacebanked weeks program? Points program?
    2. Why, as a timeshare owner requesting an exchange into Hawaii, am I told by an RCI VC that there is a 2 year wait, but as a travel agent, I can book a week for the spring of 2007 and at a 25% discount to boot?
    3. Why is RCI not honoring what they promised their paying members - namely, the availability of units in desirable locations when they spacebanked their weeks for the use of other MEMBERS?

First off, any inventory listed as "rental" or "bonus" comes from 2 places. Either the resort has made it available to RCI in order to increase the flow of "potential buyers", or RCI does purchase space to offer as rental inventory for members that simply cannot "trade" for. Due to trading power, short notice...etc. This is completely separate from space that members have deposited.

Next, the "2 year wait" that you hear about for Hawaii is pretty much correct.
    It is simply a supply and demand issue. The "supply" is exponetially lower than the "demand" If you are trying to echange for Hawaii, chances are that you will not get it unless you have really good trading power, AND you search early, and since 2 years out is the earliest that you can search, there you go. Trust me when I tell you, when a member deposits space in Hawaii, it is taken in a matter of hours by someone who already set up an ongoing search. To the question of why you can rent for next spring, is because the space you are renting is not space that was deposited, and that was answered in the previous question.

And for the 3rd question, "availability of units" it all comes down to the fact that if "member A" does not deposit the space, then it will not be available for "member B" Keep in mind that is is first come, first serve. Trading power is a large part of it too. If you own space in Arkansas, then your trading power will allow you to trade for a unit that is similar, in respect to "VEP" vacation exchange profile. If you owned that nice 2 bedroom unit in Maui, would you really trade it for a unit in Arkansas? They are 2 totaly different types of vacations. That is the "fair exchange policy"

I hear everyday from members that the person who sold them their timeshare told them that thay could trade for anything. Let me be the first to tell you, I think the timeshare sales people should all be ran off a cliff. So, when you are calling in, and are frustrated, please keep in mind that I did not sell you the space you own, I did not advise you to search for Thanksgiving space today, and I did not keep you from depositing your space too late. I confirm many vacations a day, and they are normally to members who are realistic in what they are searching for, and have deposited space early (to get good trading power) and have searched early.

Comment

Thanks for this valuable "INSIDE" information

Originally posted by guide_insider View Post
      First off, any inventory listed as "rental" or "bonus" comes from 2 places. Either the resort has made it available to RCI in order to increase the flow of "potential buyers", or RCI does purchase space to offer as rental inventory for members that simply cannot "trade" for. Due to trading power, short notice...etc. This is completely separate from space that members have deposited.
      Dear guide_insider,

Thank you so much for this valuable "inside knowledge" - all my fears about RCI have now been alleviated. Now I know for sure that they are on the complete up and up!

We can all here at Timesharefoums and also TUG call Green Welling LLP (the law firm that is heading up the class action suit against RCI/Cendent) and tell them that we have it straight from the horse's mouth, that RCI is in no way renting out it's members deposits. Absolutely not. How could we have been so cynical to think such a thing?? Shame on us!
      We should get our rates increased or something for being such bad "members".

You've done a great service for the timeshare communty. Again - thank you so much.

Comment

1. From what inventory are these weeks being made available from? Spacebanked weeks program? Points program?

First off I would like to thank you personally for coming here. Now I hate to make this sound bad but I have no better way to put this. I can tell by your response here that you are a trained employee and says what he is told to be right. I believe that if you really searched for this answer you would find out that you have been Deceived. We have had other RCI employees here and on the UK site to verify this. One of those employees was a Supervisor.
        As already pointed out there are class action law suits going on right now because of the games that RCI is pulling. I hope you stick around here but I hope that you search for the truth. We have had Peon employee robots that do not know what is going on in there one company that they work. They come here and learn more in a few weeks than they did for working for there own company.
        Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Frank, did you mean to say Deceived?

I appreciate the help on this site from an RCI insider. It means a lot to have someone here that may be able to answer questions about trade power and RCI policy.

As far as the rental inventory is concerned, I would have to guess that many of the weeks we see for last minute trades, I am talking specifically about Hawaii, were probably in the rental pool and did not move that way, so they are suddenly made available in a two-to-three week window for exchange. I used to be bitter about it but am now okay. This is how I am going to travel to Hawaii from now on because it works best for us. Any week will pull those last-minute trades, I can put two weeks on hold, then I can check airfare and book a much cheaper trip without the anticipation for a year or more. It works for me and my supposed red weeks (that are really not great traders) will get the trades I want.

Orlando weeks are the absolute best value at the last minute within Last Call.

Question about Last Call, insider guy: Why does Last Call for Orlando disappear before December? I would think there would be a lot of availability in December, January and February as well as April, May and early June, so why stop it? I am guessing it is because RCI does not want us to count on the inventory being there and not make regular reservations, hoping for the ideal vacation to show up there?

Comment

FEW COMMENTS:
            - I went to Kauii several years ago on an average exchange because "the resort has made it available to RCI in order to increase the flow of "potential buyers". Apparently, RCI is either:
            - ignoring what their PAYING members want
            - deciding WHO has the funds to purchase (PROFILING)

RCI wants the rental income . . . THE HECK WITH THE MEMBERS!

RE: . . . or RCI does purchase space to offer as rental inventory for members that simply cannot "trade" for.
            - Isn't this what POINTS is all about? Technically, RCI can get "several" weeks for their Hawaii properties - does this not equate to a form of rent?

I appreciate the comments from the vacation counselor - his/her loyalty to their company AND the time to write this well written reply.

HOWEVER, I DO NOT BUY IT!

Comment

Originally posted by shopgirl View Post
              Frank, did you mean to say Deceived?
              Yes Thank you I fixed it, I can have a spell checker but that does not help when I spell the wrong word right.
              Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

You can't be right - others don't agree

Originally posted by Bobo
                Dear guide_insider,

Thank you so much for this valuable "inside knowledge" - all my fears about RCI have now been alleviated. Now I know for sure that they are on the complete up and up!

We can all here at Timesharefoums and also TUG call Green Welling LLP (the law firm that is heading up the class action suit against RCI/Cendent) and tell them that we have it straight from the horse's mouth, that RCI is in no way renting out it's members deposits. Absolutely not. How could we have been so cynical to think such a thing?? Shame on us!
                We should get our rates increased or something for being such bad "members".

You've done a great service for the timeshare communty. Again - thank you so much.

Gee, I never expected to see an "insider" that DIDN'T agree with the conspiracy theories to be brushed off as unreliable or uninformed. Only those that are willing to back the dissenters could possibly speak the truth!

Anyone who really thinks this through has to know that the facts fall somewhere in the middle of the two mindsets. RCI isn't perfect and I'm sure a few uneven transfers occur between the rental and exchange side. But I'm equally sure it isn't a wholesale policy to rape the exchange system for anything of value either.

Thanks Insider - whoever you are - for supplying another view which has just as much chance of being based in fact as the other, not so positive "insiders" have posted in the past. Who knows - maybe after hundreds of thousands of dollars are wasted on the class action lawsuits we'll know that, after all is done, there were two sides to the story and the truth was in the middle! Hopefully the money grubbing lawyers will get well fed and the cost to the members won't be too much higher to reach that monumental conclusion.

Comment

Thanks to OPKansas' post, I think I figured something out, but I may be grasping here.

When we first deposited our 2007 week, at about ten months out, we had almost no units available for exchange, we had used them all. The trade power for that week is awesome, allowing us to see every sighting anyone posts in Hawaii, no problem. We have since added several weeks to our account through resale and have about a dozen deposited, just sitting in our account. I now believe that by adding that 2008 week, to RCI it looks like we cannot use what we own, so now we are not going to see units in Hawaii with that week, even though our trading power and VEP are the same as ever. We are not likely to buy because we cannot use what we have.

Am I on the right track, Insider? The funny thing is that the VG (one of them, but I called three to see if I could get two identical answers) said something to me when I asked about my trading power difference between 2007 and 2008. He said, "you have a lot of weeks on deposit right now." I thought he was saying that he was having a hard time figuring out what week I was talking about. I think he was implying, without coming right out and saying it, that the number of weeks was hurting me for Hawaii.

What do you think, Insider?

Comment

Originally posted by timeos2 View Post
                    Gee, I never expected to see an "insider" that DIDN'T agree with the conspiracy theories to be brushed off as unreliable or uninformed. Only those that are willing to back the dissenters could possibly speak the truth!

Anyone who really thinks this through has to know that the facts fall somewhere in the middle of the two mindsets. RCI isn't perfect and I'm sure a few uneven transfers occur between the rental and exchange side. But I'm equally sure it isn't a wholesale policy to rape the exchange system for anything of value either.

Thanks Insider - whoever you are - for supplying another view which has just as much chance of being based in fact as the other, not so positive "insiders" have posted in the past. Who knows - maybe after hundreds of thousands of dollars are wasted on the class action lawsuits we'll know that, after all is done, there were two sides to the story and the truth was in the middle! Hopefully the money grubbing lawyers will get well fed and the cost to the members won't be too much higher to reach that monumental conclusion.
                    Yeah, I don't think the employees at RCI are to blame for lack of trades, so I really appreciate Insider's presence here.

I am sure John is right, the truth is somewhere in the middle. I actually found Insider's explanation plausible. I know they do have to pay for all of these points activities that some of us love so well, not to mention the airfare, so I do not begrudge their renting of some weeks. We just do not know the truth, so let's give this guy the benefit of the doubt that he knows the same as all of us.

Hatrack told a wonderful story about bags of apples, potatoes, oranges and other fruits and vegetables, the perfect analogy for RCI points vs. weeks, but the moderators chose to close the thread when the debate started. I was very upset that the thread was closed because it was the best way for others to understand how points really work and it made sense. Hatrack has not posted much since. I wonder why? I will ask him next Saturday at our HOA meeting.

Comment

Gee, you are even more defensive about RCI's rental policies than RCI is itself. At least it admits rentals come from more sources than you do.

I know from the level of RCI inbound reports to resorts that rentals DO come from spacebank deposits and mostly NOT in dead off-season. The resorts involved are sold out and do not deposit any HOA weeks with RCI, nor do they rent weeks to RCI. We can look back in resort records to see that they are weeks deposited by our own members for exchange that RCI is renting out.

If someone wants to trade for Hawaii, their best bet is Hawaii Timeshare Exchange, www.htse.net . Plenty of inventory there!

I am a vacation guide at RCI, so I will try to answer the questions from the first post. Keep in mind that I do not speak "on the record" for RCI. Just from personal knowlege and experience.

2. Why, as a timeshare owner requesting an exchange into Hawaii, am I told by an RCI VC that there is a 2 year wait, but as a travel agent, I can book a week for the spring of 2007 and at a 25% discount to boot?
                      3. Why is RCI not honoring what they promised their paying members - namely, the availability of units in desirable locations when they spacebanked their weeks for the use of other MEMBERS?

Next, the "2 year wait" that you hear about for Hawaii is pretty much correct.
                      It is simply a supply and demand issue. The "supply" is exponetially lower than the "demand" If you are trying to echange for Hawaii, chances are that you will not get it unless you have really good trading power, AND you search early, and since 2 years out is the earliest that you can search, there you go. Trust me when I tell you, when a member deposits space in Hawaii, it is taken in a matter of hours by someone who already set up an ongoing search. To the question of why you can rent for next spring, is because the space you are renting is not space that was deposited, and that was answered in the previous question.

And for the 3rd question, "availability of units" it all comes down to the fact that if "member A" does not deposit the space, then it will not be available for "member B" Keep in mind that is is first come, first serve. Trading power is a large part of it too. If you own space in Arkansas, then your trading power will allow you to trade for a unit that is similar, in respect to "VEP" vacation exchange profile. If you owned that nice 2 bedroom unit in Maui, would you really trade it for a unit in Arkansas? They are 2 totaly different types of vacations. That is the "fair exchange policy"

I hear everyday from members that the person who sold them their timeshare told them that thay could trade for anything. Let me be the first to tell you, I think the timeshare sales people should all be ran off a cliff. So, when you are calling in, and are frustrated, please keep in mind that I did not sell you the space you own, I did not advise you to search for Thanksgiving space today, and I did not keep you from depositing your space too late. I confirm many vacations a day, and they are normally to members who are realistic in what they are searching for, and have deposited space early (to get good trading power) and have searched early.

Comment

Even RCI admits that some of their rentals come from "excess inventory" and I have no doubt that some of this "excess inventory" would be used by exchangers had RCI not appropriated it. Also, some very nice weeks are held back by RCI from the spacebank for what I might call special purposes.
                        First off, any inventory listed as "rental" or "bonus" comes from 2 places. Either the resort has made it available to RCI in order to increase the flow of "potential buyers", or RCI does purchase space to offer as rental inventory for members that simply cannot "trade" for. Due to trading power, short notice...etc. This is completely separate from space that members have deposited....

Comment

Guide_Insider, Please Comment On This Thread!

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12717

This is a Thread from Ask RCI of last year. Please read the whole Thread.

What RCI told me and what the Embassy Maui told me don't match.

Either the Maui Embassy was not telling the Truth or RCI was not telling the Truth.

Here are some post from that Thread.

Walt

Maui Embassy March April May 2006 Excess Inventory?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a copy of a post I put on ASK RCI:

Maui Embassy March April May 2006 Marketable Inventory?

"I can assure you that ALL of the weeks deposited by RCI Weeks members for exchange are available exclusively for exchange unless and until they fall within the "marketable inventory" category (at which point they are still available for exchange), which refers to weeks that members historically simply do not want or use."

A Generally-Comments from a Vice President, RCI
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told today by the Embassy Maui that the deposit below were owners weeks made with a Bulk Spacebanking. The were not used for Cruises or any other Points program. I have not had one Weeks owner tell me that they can see these weeks when doing an Exchange Search. I used a week for an Weeks Exchanged Search that had Maximum Trade Value as told to me by a VC. I saw nothing.

One would have to assume that Spring Break time in March, April, and May would be a Prime Time in a Prime Location. This is not historically simply a time people do not want or use.

There are other Hawaiian Resorts listed for rentals during this time period but are not available for Weeks exchanges. Before Friday Snap Travel had these weeks listed for $699.99. I would like to point out to you that this is less than the Maintenance Fee. Why Buy (Weeks or Points) when you can rent for less than the MF.

Would you please explain why these weeks do not show up in any Weeks Exchange Search?

Walt,

The units offered in Extra Vacations (or a vendor such as SnapTravel) may not always be the specific units that were deposited for non-exchange transactions. For example, the member who requests a cruise exchange may be using a deposited week that was long ago assigned to another RCI member. When this is the case, an equivalent unit is taken in place of that member's deposited unit. Equivalence here is based on our standard Trading Power guidelines.

Walt

Hi Madge

I was told by the Embassy Maui that the deposit below were owners weeks made with a Bulk Spacebanking. The were not used for Cruises or any other Points program. I have not had one Weeks owner tell me that they can see these weeks when doing an Exchange Search. I used a week for an Weeks Exchanged Search that had Maximum Trade Value as told to me by a VC. I saw nothing.

In all due respect to you. I know that you are just the messenger. But please let RCI know that this is just not a believable answer.

Please give me your take on what was told to me by the Embassy Maui. Your statement and the Embassy Maui's statement can not both be correct. What possible timeshare week does RCI have that is equal to a Embassy Maui week in March, April, and May? The other Hawaii Resorts weeks are also being rented and have not been placed in the Exchange Pool either. So what is equal to a Hawaiian week in March, April, and May?

EMBASSY VACATION RESORT AT KAANAPALI
                          Property ID:4985
                          Lahaina, Maui,104 Kaanapali Shores Place

Correct me if am wrong, Madge, but equivalency trades were previously described as a transfer between Points and Weeks required to even the books when a Points owner exchanges into a Weeks unit. When that occurrs, an equivalency trade is made to place in the Weeks system a week from Points of equivalent value to the Weeks unit claimed by the Points member.

Because Weeks owners cannot exchange into Points inventory, the equivalency trades would be one way only - Points weeks going into the Weeks pool, but never Weeks units going into the Points pool.

At the Embassy Maui the only weeks deposited by the resort are owner weeks. The developer is not affiliated with RCI; hence there are no deposits of developer weeks.

The Embassy Maui is not an RCI Points resorts - so owner deposits are not Points deposits.

Given these condiitions, can you explain the process by which RCI transferred Weeks system deposits at the Embassy Maui into a Points rental pool to offset Points members purchases of non-timeshare product?

Is RCI now using "equivalency trades" as a way to move product between Weeks and Points on RCI's own volitiion, and not solely in response to Points members accessing the Weeks inventory?

Comment

Working...
                          X