• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RCI PFD Grid

http://www.rci.com/docs/KnowledgeBas...rsionGrids.pdf
    Lawren
    ------------------------
    There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
    - Rolf Kopfle

Isn't South Africa usually included in this chart?

Comment

Yes it is/was on the old one, europe and asia too. Good pick-up.

I haven't had much chance to compare to the old one. There don't seem to be any obvious changes from a fast glance.
      Lawren
      ------------------------
      There are many wonderful places in the world, but one of my favourite places is on the back of my horse.
      - Rolf Kopfle

Comment

Looks like New England got a boost in points.
        Lucky for you guys up there.

Comment

OK, this being my first year as a member of RCI, I've never seen this chart before......Why are the points being given by RCI the same in many cases regardless of peak season at a particular location? Even when the points do differ, it appears that peak season points are extended into shoulder season.

EX: Caribbean, Jan - Dec .....56,500 for a 1 bdrm
          Mid-Atlantic, Jan - Dec.....40,000 for a 1 bdrm

Huh? I don't get it?
          Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtsieAng
            OK, this being my first year as a member of RCI, I've never seen this chart before......Why are the points being given by RCI the same in many cases regardless of peak season at a particular location? Even when the points do differ, it appears that peak season points are extended into shoulder season.

Huh? I don't get it?
            I've noticed that RCI makes some places redweeks all year and that appears to be why the points are the same despite there obviously being slower seasons but they don't penalize those owners as much for being off season owners.
            For example my 2 bedroom beachfront unit gets 38K for July 4th and also for Labor Day. July 4th in FL beachfront is definitely more popular than Labor Day cause of the kids out of school. I get the same points for both weeks.
            A reason why they'll never see my July 4th week for deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtsieAng

Huh? I don't get it?
              Most of the Caribbean is ''red all year'' but there is a huge difference in demand between say February on one hand and hurricane season in September on the other. If they set the same points for both, that is just nuts. If they give an average of all weeks, then that greatly overvalues the September week and greatly undervalues the February week.

Comment

I think Crossover Grid is the more appropriate name, because where it originated and where it is a big threat to the system is as the mechanism for Points members to raid Weeks. By overaveraging, it grossly undervalues the prime inventory in Weeks, hence the raiding.

But if some uses it for PFD, they would have to be nuts to give RCI a prime week in the ''Weeks'' system, as those are hugely undervalued. In the old grid, however, those depositing marginal weeks like pink weeks made out like bandits because those weeks were grossly overvalued due to the overaveraging.

Comment

Originally posted by chriskre View Post
                  I've noticed that RCI makes some places redweeks all year and that appears to be why the points are the same despite there obviously being slower seasons but they don't penalize those owners as much for being off season owners.
                  For example my 2 bedroom beachfront unit gets 38K for July 4th and also for Labor Day. July 4th in FL beachfront is definitely more popular than Labor Day cause of the kids out of school. I get the same points for both weeks.
                  A reason why they'll never see my July 4th week for deposit.
                  I don't blame you. It seems odd to me, but I guess it benefits those with pinkish-red, and shoulder weeks. Win some, and lose some, I guess.

At any rate, it appears that my Myrtle Bch week will get less next year than it did this year.
                  Angela

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinian View Post
                    Most of the Caribbean is ''red all year'' but there is a huge difference in demand between say February on one hand and hurricane season in September on the other. If they set the same points for both, that is just nuts. If they give an average of all weeks, then that greatly overvalues the September week and greatly undervalues the February week.
                    I agree, but they are giving the same amount of points for each week in the calendar year, as far as I can tell.
                    Angela

Comment

I guess buying with doing PFD in mind is a risky strategy depending on what you own. I hope this doesn't affect already converted weeks.

I know a resort can be downgraded but I haven't seen that yet with what I own. At least with my converted beach motel I don't think you can get lower than standard unless they just kick us out completely from RCI which wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to the place.

Comment

I could not get the linik to work from my other computer, but now I can on this one.

Overall, I would say that RCI in inching in the right direction, by breaking everything down month by month instead of my color code seasons. That at least facilitates a better and more accurate breakdown of values. But as previously pointed out, they don't, at least in some cases actually follow through by breaking them down by month. While it creates the illusiion of accuracy by showing different blocks for February and September in the Caribbean, for example, it looks like they are moving toward getting things right, but when you then see the same number in both boxes, you just have to shake your head.

They are still overaveraging on area as well. Inland resorts in Georgia are treated the same as coastal resorts in North and South Carolina and that is just nuts. In Europe, RCI Points does a much better job of seperating resort regions that have similar characteristics. The geographic overaveraging in the US market makes this a flawed chart. Same with the Caribbean, as there are some islands much easier to trade into than others. In Florida, they give the same numbers to very difficult to trade into Sanibel and Captiva as they do easy as pie trade Orlando, and that is so nuitty it is bouncing off the walls.

Comment

Is there any information on trade in values for south africa properties?

Comment

The lack of stated values for South Africa and Europe may indicate that RCI is going to whack their values in Points, just as they just have in Points Lite (''Weeks''). I have raised an inquiry of a European board as to whether anyone there has heard of a new grid for Europe. The old grid for Europe was significantly better than the one for North America because it divided the calendar into more segments and created smaller geographic zones, so there was less of the overaveraging that RCI's points based systems are prone to.

Comment

The points allocations haven't changed from previous years. It just the format in which it shows has changed. This report has actually been available for a couple of months.

I don't like the new format because it's misleading because it makes you think it costs more/less to book/deposit your week. You still have to go the specific resort you're interested in in the RCI online directory and look up the red/white/blue weeks that show the actual dates. In the old format, you cross-referenced those dates to let you know how many points you got/needed to use. Now, you can't tell without having to call in and talking with an RCI guide. They've just made it more complicated.

Comment

Working...
                              X