Is this good or bad for me???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not thrilled to go to VI

I too am a great links owner of about 4 years and bonus time and location were the two reasons we joined.

I have seen in a couple of posts were it has been asserted that what we liked about our timeshare (bonus time and lower fees) was a system that was unsustainable and the proof is the selling of great links to VI.

I do not agree.

I think our maintenance fees would of gone up over time certainly, almost all of our properties were relatively new and as they aged would require more capital than they currently do.

Who says Bonus time has to be twice as much as we paid, airlines do seat sales all the time. Could an argument not be made that buildings with a higher percentage of occupancy at lower rates generates as much income, with the added bonus of more people willing to buy in and happier for it

I had spoken to great links ( to almost every single person in their office excluding the owner and my wife did actually speak to the owners wife for what it is worth) leading up to the vote to move to VI.

My understanding of the financial situation of the parent company was that it was obviously in dire straights. The owner put all or almost all of his assets on the block to see what would sell first.

We the Great links owners are what he sold to VI more so than Homestead and in exchange he retained more than half of the properties deeded to Great links timeshare owners, even though he personally only owned about 10% of the points (one million plus points out of the nearly 11 million) Desert Canyon was over 5 million points alone Homestead was about 2 807 000 points with the two additional small 1 bdrm's.

We the maintenance fee paying owners are the coveted asset VI wants. The differential they are giving up in points (which if you check ebay or craigslist for VI points are not selling for much of anything) will be absorbed with there currently undersold properties. Vi gets in maintenance fees (10 000 000 points worth of great links owners divided by 69 = 144 927 VI points multiply that by the $7 per point maintenance fee VI charges and you get $1 014 489 per year)

$1 014 489 added into your maintenance fee budget minus what it costs to maintain homestead. I imagine that goes along way when times are tough.

The way I look at it the owner of great links parent company got 5 million points worth of property, VI got 1 million worth of annual maintenance fee income and we got screwed.

P.S point numbers taken from spreadsheet from gl

Comment

anyone still out there??

I know no one has posted on this topic in a while but I just found this thread.

I was also a member of GL. I did not sign with VI. I no longer have points and I no longer pay mait. fees.
      According to Resort Funding I still owe them around 3,000 for my point purchase. I have been making the payments every month up until this month,,April 2011 when I stopped the auto withdrawl.
      No one, not GL, not VI or resort funding will give me a copy of my orginal contract for the "loan" i got to pay may points through resort funding.

Last month VI told me I am the only one that has not converted my points, I find this hard to believe.

Has anyone else stopped paying resort funding and has it affected your credit?? Everything I read tells me that I cant be sent to collection unless they can validate my debt with my orginal loan contract...which they have not provided to me.

Comment

I converted

Well I just recently accepted VI's offer. I believe with the addition of the new properties on Canada there is sufficient properties within driving distance to make it worthwhile.

Do you live in the U.S or Canada, I think their ability to affect your credit would be very minimal if you reside in Canada. I would digest talking to someone at your bank.

Tell resort funding according to your records you are paid in full. Make them at least provide you with some paperwork showing where you stand according to them.

If you live in the States I think that ultimately you are responsible for the debt regardless of what happened to the timeshare.

I can 100 percent guarantee that there are still GL owners that have not converted, my buddy being one of them.

Comment

Great Links to VI

I paid my timeshare in full during the presentation scam. I used it a couple of times a year and was reasonably happy with it but when it changed over to VI it didn't work for me. As of today I have not converted. Does anyone know then am I just out the 6k-7k that I paid in full or do I have recourse? I am still not interested in converting my points over. It doesn't seem like I really have enough points to do much with anyway and since the time I purchased the timeshare I've been laid off so economically it's not an option to convert.

Comment

OH and I did recently check my credit and it did not show up. Even though I paid in full I still supposedly owe maintenance fees. But if I haven't signed over to VI then technically I do not owe? And since GL doesn't exist so apparently I don't owe fees to them either. All of my paperwork is in storage so I can't review them at this time. I'd love to have them reviewed by a lawyer to see if I can be compensated in some way. Has anyone gone that far??

Comment

Points value and bonus time

I am an owner of VI and I wasn't aware of the merge. I do know that as for your bonus time, VI bonus time is the best in the industry. I can book you bonus time right now for tonight at about 15 properties. I have caught wind that VI is taking over Aviawest and most likely all 6 of their resorts in BC. Last year we merged with Point to Point. Which will bring VI owned resorts to 47. I love the inventory and local access. Your 56 points will easily get you a week in a studio or 1 bd. You can get a beach 2 bedroom for 4 points a night in spring or fall.

Comment

Working...
              X