Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making Lemonade from those Lemons we bought.....

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Lemonade from those Lemons we bought.....

Okay....remember that first developer purchase that you made?

The one they SWORE you could trade into anything in the II book.....?

WoW - this is great,,,,I can deposit week 2 in Hilton Head and get week 10 in Hawaii or Harborside or the Westin St John or Southern California in July....or even Hilton Head in August.....

WHAT a great thing!

So now, reality has set in, you have found this isn't happening, you have found internet TS sites like TS4Ms and heard from a variety of people that it is NOT going to happen....so what do you do???

MAXimize your time.....look in the II book to check the index at the beginning of each section - to see when the HIGHest demand for your season is.
    I am surprised sometimes when I look - but also keep in mind that some Holidays float - like Easter - every year so this can effect the index.

Call Marriott Customer Service EXACTLY on the day your week will be released...there are other people who have figured this out, too....so don't be disappointed by trying to reserve a GOOD week 6 months out. You want to travel Sunday, April 8, 2007 - call on Thursday April 6, 2006 to reserve the Friday 4/6, Saturday 4/7 and Sunday 4/8 check-in.

Deposit early with II - 12 months out for optimal trading power....deposits received before or AT the 12 month mark have highest trading power...it decreases from there with the next 'drop off' at 10 months, then 8 months then 6 months....

Request EARLY - be the first online for your requests....13-14 months ahead has worked for me.

Know when your requested resort owners depoit with II - an example of this is the Royal Resorts in Cancun. Owners there deposit 2 years ahead of use date...I got my Presidents week 2007 exchange to the Royal Sands in March 2005

Be willing to pay an additional exchange fee to get a 2BR many times I will see a resort online that I want to trade into but I want a 2BR for my 2BR deposit...and my GOLD but II RED week won't pull a 2BR.....or the resort....such as Desert Springs I & II - usually only shows studios and 1BRs deposited...eeven in the off season.
    Call the II Marriott Desk and ask them to give you the 1BR for your $89 exchange fee and offer to pay an additional $89 to get the studio, too.
    I have done this at Marriott Shadow Ridge with a non-Marriott 2BR ($121+121 exchange fee) - but it also works with Marriott weeks.

Check the sightings on this website and even if you can't go this year, write down when these weeks appeared and the time frame...and make a plan to request that resort next year. Example - Harborside at Atlantis deposits Jan, May & Sept/Oct weeks....DVC deposits a lot of Fall and January weeks...Four Seasons Aviara - May & October......

I hope these are helpful tips and others with less then WONDERFUL weeks will post their experiences and strategies, too.
    Pat
    *** My Website ***

Here is some of the trades I made with my 'lemon'

Exchange
    Marriott's Fairway Villas at Seaview • MFV
    Unit: TOVI (2 bedrooms)
    Week: 52
    Sat, December 27, 2003
    Sat, January 03, 2004
    Confirmed To:
    Marriott's Grande Vista Resort • MGR
    Unit: THMV (2 bedrooms)
    Week: 7 Fri, February 13, 2004 Presidents Week
    Fri, February 20, 2004
    I own at Grande Vista but since it trades VERY WELL - I use my MFV to trade back in for 2BR units

Exchange
    Week: 50
    Fri, December 14, 2001
    Fri, December 21, 2001
    Confirmed To:
    Marriott's Manor Club Sequel • MSE
    Unit: ZZAA (2 bedrooms)
    Week: 39 Sat, September 27, 2003
    Sat, October 04, 2003
    My parents used this week and the 6 rounds of free golf

Exchange
    Week: 14
    Sun, April 04, 2004
    Sun, April 11, 2004
    Confirmed To:
    Marriott's Village d'Ile de France • MVF
    Unit: DTOVI (2 bedrooms)
    Week: 9 Fri, February 27, 2004
    Fri, March 05, 2004
    This was my sons college spring break....he and 6 friends traveled to Paris and Italy for 10 days

Exchange
    Week: 52
    Sat, December 27, 2003
    Sat, January 03, 2004
    Confirmed To:
    The Royal Caribbean • RCB
    Unit: D1115 (2 bedrooms)
    Week: 21 Sat, May 22, 2004
    Sat, May 29, 2004
    Family Trip after kids home from College

Fri, April 08, 2005
    Fri, April 15, 2005
    Confirmed To:
    Marriott's Custom House • MCU
    Unit: OBVI (1 bedroom)
    Week: 20 Fri, May 20, 2005
    Fri, May 27, 2005
    Sons College Graduation

Fri, April 08, 2005
    Fri, April 15, 2005
    Confirmed To:
    Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara • FSA
    Unit: UUU2 (2 bedrooms)
    Week: 18 Sun, May 01, 2005
    Sun, May 08, 2005
    Got this thanks to a sighting on TUG

Sat, April 08, 2006
    Sat, April 15, 2006
    Confirmed To:
    Westin Mission Hills Resort Villas • WM1
    Unit: 3111 (1 bedroom)
    Week: 13 March 26, 2006
    Sun, April 02, 2006
    I could have gotten a 2BR here but my friends were undecided...and i missed out..great area in high season

So what GREAT trades have you gotten????
    Pat
    *** My Website ***

Comment

Pat, thanks for all the info.

It seems that you were able to make some very good exchanges.

I am curios about you saying to request early, 13-14 month out. On my II account , it will say that I have a week available for deposit about 18 months in advance of my season. If I can only call Marriott to get a week 12 months out, what does this mean? And, how can I request 13-14 months out? Don't I need to wait till the 12 month time frame and first get my week?

thanks....
      Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

Know when requested week deposits to II

[QUOTE=GrayFal]

Know when your requested resort owners depoit with II - an example of this is the Royal Resorts in Cancun. Owners there deposit 2 years ahead of use date...I got my Presidents week 2007 exchange to the Royal Sands in March 2005

Most of this I do. However how do I accomplish this step?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by artsieang

I am curios about you saying to request early, 13-14 month out. On my II account , it will say that I have a week available for deposit about 18 months in advance of my season. If I can only call Marriott to get a week 12 months out, what does this mean? And, how can I request 13-14 months out? Don't I need to wait till the 12 month time frame and first get my week?

thanks....
          Angela,

Yes you need to get your week first. BUT once you do that, you can request an exchange up to two years ahead of today's date. It won't get matched until a year out at the earliest, but you'll have queued up early.

Avery

Comment

Originally posted by Avery
            Angela,

Yes you need to get your week first. BUT once you do that, you can request an exchange up to two years ahead of today's date. It won't get matched until a year out at the earliest, but you'll have queued up early.

Avery
            OK, thank you, now I understand. I actually did that unitentionally in 2005 on a week that we could not use. We ran out of vaction time for 2006, so I requested a week in 2007.( I still haven't gotten a confirmation.) I wasn't sure if I was missing something.

That is probably the best strategy for getting what you want. As long as you don't need the week for vacationing. I may plan on doing that with all my weeks.

Do you know what happens if you change your request. For instance, I have changed the dates on the request for 2007, and also added another location. I wasn't sure if the request is dated by the date you made your deposit, the original request, or the date of the last request?

Also, can you do this with your home resort? Can I make a request directly to Marriott for a week at my home resort, but for the following year, so that I am ahead of the people who are able to request 13 month out?

I know that I am asking lots of questions. I just want you to know that I really appreciate you taking out the time to answer.....thanks again.
            Angela

Comment

thanks....
              Originally posted by Avery
              Angela,

Avery
              Remember that mulitple week owners can reserve 13 months out and if they own 3 or 4 weeks and do lock-offs, deposits can go to II as early as 14 months from use date....again, early requests are better....your exchange could be confirmed at 13 months out when many people don't even request until 10 or 8 months out.
              The early bird catches the best exchanges
              Pat
              *** My Website ***

Comment

Originally posted by Hostelling
                Originally posted by GrayFal

Most of this I do. However how do I accomplish this step?

Daniel
                How do you exchange 2 years ahead or how do you know when resorts deposit?
                Pat
                *** My Website ***

Comment

That is probably the best strategy for getting what you want. As long as you don't need the week for vacationing. I may plan on doing that with all my weeks.

You really need to be a year ahead of yourself......that is what allows you to plan early....the first year we bought was 2001...but things did not REALLY come together until 2003 when we were in full exchange mode....LOL

Do you know what happens if you change your request. For instance, I have changed the dates on the request for 2007, and also added another location. I wasn't sure if the request is dated by the date you made your deposit, the original request, or the date of the last request?

I THINK it is based on your original request date.....BECAUSE....I have a request in for Aruba using a Marriott week that I put in Oct 2005 for Dec 2006 with about 6 resorts paying the $149 international exchange fee. Recently, I changed the request to only the 2 Marriotts....and when I asked if I could get a refund of my fee, they said no. I asked "What if I cancelled and put in a new request?" - II said I would then be 'in the back' of the request line so to keep my current request. It does make sense.

Also, can you do this with your home resort? Can I make a request directly to Marriott for a week at my home resort, but for the following year, so that I am ahead of the people who are able to request 13 month out?

Not sure what you mean?
                  You can take a current week you have reserved and exchange back into your home resort thru II...but you can't reserve your week until 12 months out or 13 months if you own 2 same season/time of year weeks.

I know that I am asking lots of questions. I just want you to know that I really appreciate you taking out the time to answer.....thanks again.
                  Pat
                  *** My Website ***

Comment

Thanks Pat,

I have to say, that for the first time since we purchased our timeshares, I feel as if I understand the system.

You, and others on this site have been more than gracious with your knowledge. I really appreciate the information and time that you all take out of your lives to educate people such as myself.

Pat, you have been so patient, and the information you have given me will help me and my family to take the vacations we have always wanted to take. I can't thank you enough.....That lunch I owe you has turned into a really nice dinner.

Thanks again.....
                    Angela

Comment

Originally posted by GrayFal
                      How do you exchange 2 years ahead or how do you know when resorts deposit?
                      How do you know when resorts deposit?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Hostelling
                        How do you know when resorts deposit?

Daniel
                        From reading these message boards ,,,,and TUG.....and asking questions like this

If you are trying to exchange into a particular resort, or resort chain, you can post on the resort change board or the exchanging board.
                        There is always the option of calling the resort or management company and asking them.....how many people deposit and which exchange company do they exchange into.....
                        Pat
                        *** My Website ***

Comment

Great post !!!!

Thanks for taking the time.

Comment

My greatest trade up just occurred. It was the result of three occurrances. A helpful tugger posting. A bulk spacebanking. And II's valuation policy of matching supply and demand. Suddenly, because the Westin Kaanapali Resort on Maui did a Bulk spacebanking, there was a increase in supply!!!! A kind tugger posted it on the sightings board and I put in a request against my "lemon" deposit, the Royal Aloha Vacation Club. The RAVC is a standard resort which I bought on ebay for essentially $1. I paid $1500 including closing costs for it, but it included three banked weeks with the club. The MF per year is almost $500/yr. Hence, my $1 estimate. One of those banked weeks I deposited with II. Well, my II banked week matched for a one bedroom against the Westin Kaanapali. I think that qualifies for lemonade. Ben

Comment

Originally posted by reddiablosv
                              My greatest trade up just occurred. It was the result of three occurrances. A helpful tugger posting. A bulk spacebanking. And II's valuation policy of matching supply and demand. Suddenly, because the Westin Kaanapali Resort on Maui did a Bulk spacebanking, there was a surplus in demand!!!! A kind tugger posted it on the sightings board and I put in a request against my "lemon" deposit the Royal Aloha Vacation Club. The RAVC is a standard resort which I bought on ebay for essentially $1. I paid $1500 including closing costs, but it included three banked weeks with the club. The MF per year is almost $500/yr. Hence, my $1 estimate. One of those banked weeks I deposited with II. Well, It matched for a one bedroom against the Westin Kaanapali. I think that qualifies for lemonade. Ben
                              You got your $1500 purchase price back in one trade!

My week at Four Seasons...1 night in a 2BR was $800 + tax....the weekly rate was a discounted $3600!
                              Pat
                              *** My Website ***

Comment

Working...
                              X