Thinking of Buying A Marriott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of Buying A Marriott

We went to the Westin Nanea Villas over Christmas, and took a timeshare tour to get a deal on the room. The presentation actually seemed fairly attractive, but it made me realize I have not kept up to date with the options for Marriott Timeshares. They were talking about a points system, and the points they were offering were sufficient to get a one bedroom, ocean view unit every other year at Westin Nanea. There was the option to convert them into Marriott Rewards (yes, I know they just started a new program), and the package they offered came with lifetime gold membership in Marriott. I figured that you can probably get a better deal resale, but I remembered that Marriott usually did not allow points conversion with resale owners.

Where can I look to get a good handle on the Marriott points program, pluses and minuses of buying Marriott points resale, and the various quirks of the program?

TIA

Good question and a good idea to look further than the system favorable spiel you got.

Comment

So, after spending some time and doing some research, I seem to have discovered the following; (Let me know if I'm wrong here):

All of the Westin Timeshares are currently being managed by Vistana, even though the timeshares are listed under the Marriott family. If I want to buy a Westin (I'm looking at the Westin Nanea), I have to buy it in the form of Vistana StarOptions. StarOptions purchased resale cannot be converted to Marriott (now Bonvoy) rewards, though if you buy a subsequent unit direct from the developer, then the developer can "retro" your resale unit and make it so that all of your StarOptions can be converted to Bonvoy points on an annual basis. This is not usually a beneficial option, but it's a way to avoid losing your points in a year. On average, a one-week StarOptions interest can be converted into enough Bonvoy points to book something like 5 nights in a hotel.

One thing I can't figure out: What happens if Marriott decides to take over management of the Westin Timeshares? Will our StarOptions still be usable to book the Westin resorts? Is there any "out" where they can increase the number of StarOptions necessary to book the Westins, so that suddenly, the week I bought at Nanea will no longer book an entire week? Very confusing system. . . .

Comment

Also, for those of you who already own at Westin Nanea, how difficult is it to get the week you want when you try to book? Are you waiting on the phone at 11:59, hoping to get through so you can book a desirable week, like those who bought at Marriott Newport Coast?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, for those of you who already own at Westin Nanea, how difficult is it to get the week you want when you try to book? Are you waiting on the phone at 11:59, hoping to get through so you can book a desirable week, like those who bought at Marriott Newport Coast?

Comment

I am in the middle of something so will answer tomorrow.
          If you are buying Starwood now know as Vistana Signature Experience you are better buying a resale at a mandatory resort.
          Or if you ONLY want Nanea, but a Nanea resale.

I own Marriott and Vistana TS

- - - Updated - - -

If you are buying Starwood now know as Vistana Signature Experience you are better buying a resale at a mandatory resort.

Pat
          *** My Website ***

Comment

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post

My wife wants to go to Westin Nanea regularly, so we are looking to buy a resale there. Another confusing thing is that some blogs state that StarOptions cannot transfer in a voluntary resort. Since Nanea is Voluntary, but I am told that the seller is selling staroptions, I'm very confused on this. Does the sale of the unit at Nanea turn the ownership into a week, or is it actually a sale of the StarOptions? Also, my understanding is that, because it would be our home resort, we can book starting at 12 months before our use, but then it would turn into StarOptions that could be booked elsewhere at 8 months before the use. Am I getting this right?
            P.S. -- I'll check back in a day or so when you have time to answer. And, whatever I get, NO TOASTERS!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post

My wife wants to go to Westin Nanea regularly, so we are looking to buy a resale there. Another confusing thing is that some blogs state that StarOptions cannot transfer in a voluntary resort. Since Nanea is Voluntary, but I am told that the seller is selling staroptions, I'm very confused on this. Does the sale of the unit at Nanea turn the ownership into a week, or is it actually a sale of the StarOptions? Also, my understanding is that, because it would be our home resort, we can book starting at 12 months before our use, but then it would turn into StarOptions that could be booked elsewhere at 8 months before the use. Am I getting this right?
            P.S. -- I'll check back in a day or so when you have time to answer. And, whatever I get, NO TOASTERS!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X