Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You have to pay next years MF's to use saved points from this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have to pay next years MF's to use saved points from this year?

I must have missed something somewhere along the way. I didn't realize that, if you saved points from one year to the next, before DRI would allow you to use those points (points you've already paid MF's and club dues to use), that you must pay a deposit (I expect that's the amount of last years MF's) in order to use those saved points.

For example, I'm planning on an internal exchange into the Santa Fe next year. To do this I was going to save either 5,000 or 5,500 points from this years allotment into next year. I thought I'd look at the DRI website to make sure I had all my T's crossed and I's dotted so I didn't get caught by surprise with something I didn't know or understand. I guess I'm glad I did as I had no intention of paying next years MF's early for any of my DRI weeks.

Here's what I found on the DRI website. Bold highlight is my doing.

Plan for that dream vacation you want to take next year. Members of THE ClubSM may now save their points online. A member must request to save points by:

June 30 if you would like to save up to 100% of your annual points allocation
    August 31 if you would like to save up to 50% of your annual points allocation
    October 31 if you would like to save up to 25% of your annual points allocation
    Remember that the amount eligible to be saved is not based on your current balance but the amount of points allotted annually. Any points that are not used by December 31 of any given year expire so if you do not intend to use your points for travel before December 31 it is advisable to save your points for use in the following year. There is no limit to the number of savings that can be made during the year, as long as the request is made within the timeframe previously described. However, once you have carried your points forward should you need to utilize them, you will be required to make a payment as deposit towards next year's fees

So, for those that have been with Sunterra prior to DRI buying out the program, has it always been this way or is this a new DRI twist to get MF's paid a little earlier than before?
    Our timeshare and other photo's at http://dougp26364.smugmug.com/

The statement you bolded is simply a caution that once you have saved your 2009 points into 2010 you will not be able to get them back for 2009 use. If you need points for 2009 (after having saved forward) any points you bring back to 2009 will be treated as an advance of 2010 points and be subject to payment of the applicable estimate of 2010 fees.

Comment

It has always been that way, by the rules, and in my experience. But, it's better to save and pay MFs early to get them back than to not save and lose because a trip didn't materialize.
      ... not enough time for all the timeshares ®

Comment

if the 2009 pts carried to 2010 were used to book 2010 time, then no mf/dep is required, correct? A mf/dep is required only if you bring the pts back into 2009 for use...do i understand this is what you guys are saying?
        Posted via Mobile Device
        EMAIL me if you wish, do NOT PM

Comment

At least it's not a new change since DRI bought out Sunterra. Still, I'm not thrilled about having to pay additional MF's to use points I've already paid MF's on.

Comment

Originally posted by dougp26364
            At least it's not a new change since DRI bought out Sunterra. Still, I'm not thrilled about having to pay additional MF's to use points I've already paid MF's on.
            Don't give them any ideas. They may require you to pay next year's maintenance fees to save them and then pay the year after that to use them.
            My Rental Site
            My Resale Site

Comment

Originally posted by winger
              if the 2009 pts carried to 2010 were used to book 2010 time, then no mf/dep is required, correct? A mf/dep is required only if you bring the pts back into 2009 for use...do i understand this is what you guys are saying?
              Posted via Mobile Device
              That is my understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by BocaBum99
                Don't give them any ideas. They may require you to pay next year's maintenance fees to save them and then pay the year after that to use them.

The way things have gone throughout my years with DRI, I've always kept my MF receipts to prove they've been paid. It didn't happen every year but there were occasions when I had to gently remind them that I had already paid my bill.

In the past, if I wanted to deposit my week, DRI, as many other timeshare companies will do, required advance payment of the MF's in order to deposit the next years week. If they MF's went up (they didn't always go up), then I was required to only pay the difference at the end of the year.

Most of the trouble came when I'd pay my fee's and then want to deposit my week with I.I. The norm seemed to become to call Polo Towers reservations and have them call I.I. for a confrence/3 way call. I could then make my deposit request and have the reservationist look up my account and find where I had pay those MF's. That was the surest way to get it done if I.I. said my deposit request had bounced because DRI wouldn't release my week.

I just don't like paying things ahead with DRI anymore. It seems that my record keeping always has to be better than their record keeping or I end up paying for something I've already paid. I have the same issue with a couple of doctors offices here who keep forgetting that I paid my co-payment when service was rendered and get billed a second time, only to have to send them my reciept. Even the thought of having to prove I've already paid a fee in advance irritates me.

Comment

Posted via Mobile Device
                  Originally posted by Schooner
                  That is my understanding.
                  Now this would be fine but, from reading the above portion from DRI's web site, that's not how I was understanding things. If I wanted to borrow and use points for a reservation from a year in which I had not paid MF's, sure I can see them requiring that I make a payment.

It's only if they require that I make a payment on future MF's when I'm not using points from that year, but only using points saved, which already have the MF's paid, that it would upset me. So long as there's no additional MF payment requirements to use points I've already paid MF's and Club Dues on, then I'm fine. I could see them requiring that I pay my THE Club dues for a future year should my request for an internal exchange be for the next year. IMO, that would seem reasonable.

Comment

actually, last summer (aug), i did borrow 2008 pts saved to 2009 for a 2008 short weekend stay. i did pay the 2009 mf's at the time. i remember now as i paid 2009 mf's last day or two of 2008, that unit's invoice effectively said $0 owed !
                    Posted via Mobile Device
                    EMAIL me if you wish, do NOT PM

Comment

Any time that I have carried points to the next year and want to use them this year then I would have to pay the maintenance fees and it has been that way for many years.

Comment

actually, last summer (aug), i did borrow 2008 pts saved to 2009 for a 2008 short weekend stay. i did pay the 2009 mf's at the time. i remember now as i paid 2009 mf's last day or two of 2008, that unit's invoice effectively said $0 owed !
                        Posted via Mobile Device
                        Originally posted by dale7
                        Any time that I have carried points to the next year and want to use them this year then I would have to pay the maintenance fees and it has been that way for many years.

Well, IMHO, that sucks but, at least it's not something new that was brought in with the change in ownership.

At least I know this now rather than getting surprised after I saved points and then wanted to make an exchange.

Comment

Working...
                        X