This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I converted last summer

I was able to convert my resale points into Club points last summer. As everyone else has mentioned, I got the run-around about this until I told them I was willing to buy some points to do it. I was told I could convert if I bought 2,000 points and that it was a "really good offer" because they don't normally let you convert anymore.

I'm sure they were just saying that to convince me to do it. But I have no idea who else I could have talked to in order to buy into the Club...once they find out you have resale points, it's like having leprosy or something.

My suggestion--if you really want to buy resale to save $$ (which there's tons of stuff for cheap or "free" right now), just plan on being happy with whatever home resort you buy into. If you REALLY want the Club though (as I did), just factor the cost of the 2,000 points into your decision.

Most importantly, make sure you "buy" your points at the resort that is in your Trust. For example, if you bought a US Collection Trust, DO NOT buy the points at the California or Hawaii collection resorts. You will get charged TWICE for the HOA costs (but once for the maintenance fees). In short, you'll be throwing away about $250 per year extra that you wouldn't if you just bought ALL of the points in the same Trust.

So, in short, they don't make it easy to convert and maybe there's a way to do it without buying points, but good luck to you! Otherwise, just figure you'll have to spend an additional $7,000-$10,000 for the Club privileges depending upon whatever 2,000 points costs these days. Just remember you still saved tens of thousands of dollars for buying resale...

Comment

• About adding a new contract at a resort that's part of a different collection...

I was CSV-1 which became teh US Collection.
      I'm a Left Coaster and as you know the bulk of those resorts are in the East.
      SLBI, Lake Tahoe, Sedona and others are part of US and CA Collections.

I did my Resale Roll-in at San Luis Bay Inn, purchased 2500 points and they rolled in my existing four resale contracts, two of which were gimmee's (take over M&T and pay transfer fees).
      Well, of course they added teh new contract to the California Collection so I have double collection fees.

I heard from a sales person later they didn't have to do that, and as part of his pitch to add more points and keep my price-protection going they'd move it to US and refund the collection fees paid for 2010.

I'll have to use that when and if I add anything else, but for now I guess I get to pay the extra annual fee... which gives me some options at West Coast resorts I suspect.

Comment

• Make them put all of your points into one collection!

I HIGHLY recommend you do not own two separate collections. You will be charged an additional $270 PER YEAR just for doing so. Since the CA Collection only has a few resorts in it you would be FAR better off telling them that they need to put them all in the US Collection or you will void your latest purchase.

Frankly, the resorts in the CA Collection are already in the US Collection so I don't think you'll be giving up anything anyway. I am a member of the US Collection and both Tahoe and San Luis are considered "home resorts" for me. I was in the exact same boat you are but once I realized how much more $$ per year it was going to cost me I sent in my cancellation notice, after which I got a call back from someone who was VERY willing to re-do the deal so that everything was in 1 collection. This was after I was told several times that there was "nothing they could do."

Trust me--maintenance fees are already high enough. You don't want to pay another $270 per year on top of that for nothing more than being part of two separate collections that are ultimately really part of the US Collection anyway (unless somehow they put some of the Hawaii properties in the CA Collection--but even then, that's a lot of $$ to just book a few months earlier in Hawaii).

Good luck!

Originally posted by madmitch
        About adding a new contract at a resort that's part of a different collection...

I was CSV-1 which became teh US Collection.
        I'm a Left Coaster and as you know the bulk of those resorts are in the East.
        SLBI, Lake Tahoe, Sedona and others are part of US and CA Collections.

I did my Resale Roll-in at San Luis Bay Inn, purchased 2500 points and they rolled in my existing four resale contracts, two of which were gimmee's (take over M&T and pay transfer fees).
        Well, of course they added teh new contract to the California Collection so I have double collection fees.

I heard from a sales person later they didn't have to do that, and as part of his pitch to add more points and keep my price-protection going they'd move it to US and refund the collection fees paid for 2010.

I'll have to use that when and if I add anything else, but for now I guess I get to pay the extra annual fee... which gives me some options at West Coast resorts I suspect.

Comment

• Originally posted by xymox9 View Post
          I am a member of the US Collection and both Tahoe and San Luis are considered "home resorts" for me. I was in the exact same boat you are but once I realized how much more $$ per year it was going to cost me I sent in my cancellation notice, after which I got a call back from someone who was VERY willing to re-do the deal so that everything was in 1 collection. This was after I was told several times that there was "nothing they could do."
          the additional overhead is significant, but the consideration is how much inventory at the resort that you really want is in what collection. Your 13month priority is not for whatever inventory DRI has but for whatever inventory belongs to your collection, not a sermon, just a thought.
          ... not enough time for all the timeshares ®

Comment

• Originally posted by Spence View Post
            the additional overhead is significant, but the consideration is how much inventory at the resort that you really want is in what collection. Your 13month priority is not for whatever inventory DRI has but for whatever inventory belongs to your collection, not a sermon, just a thought.
            Thanks for pointing that out. In my case I felt it wasn't worth the extra yearly fees but I already think the maintenance fees are out-of-control expensive as it is for 10,500 points...

Comment

• In my instance of adding the 2500 points to convert my 4 resale contracts (total 30,000 now) I wasn't offered the option to have that new addition as part of the US Collection, rather when I questioned it I was told it had to be CA Collection as I purchased at SLBI.
              Later I was told that didn't have to be the case, and maybe they'll let me roll it all back into a single collection, but I'm not holding my breath nor am I planning to add anything in the extended future.

Comment

• UPDATE
                DRI must monitor this or another site I posted my CA Collection purchase info and I was offered the opportunity to have the latest 2500 points moved to US Collection.
                Thank You Very Much, and do I get a credit or is that effective 2011?

Comment

• Has anyone bought into points recently? What is the best deal they are offering to convert a fixed week in VA into points?

Comment

• Coverted in August. Just had to purchase additional 1500 pts to get to elite status, converted one resale into the Club, and bring an additional two timeshares into Club Select.

Comment

• Don't convert to points - you lose your voting rights

I am sorry you decided to put your deeded weeks into the Trust.
                      Guess what! You no longer have voting rights. You have no control over decisions made to your resort or any others.
                      Go on Ebay and take a look at what your points are worth.
                      I hope this doesn't come off as sarcastic because I feel bad for everyone that either purchased or converted to points. I hope you can sue the "s" out of someone (you know who) because "in my opinion" it is just a ponzi scheme.

I'm not sure if you are aware that two resorts managed by Diamond Resorts International, Poipu Point and Kaanapali Beach Club have formed websites designed to keep owners informed in an effort to gain enough support to regain control of the boards that make the decisions for these two resorts.

[B]Http://kbcowners.com
                      CDOPP Home Page

Go to the websites that I listed above and get involved if you want any chance of protecting the value of your vacation in Paradise.

Comment

• Kpaul - I'm glad you just posted these websites! I was not aware of the websites and I'm eager to help the deeded owners have some say in how our resort is run. If we all don't vote together, our voices will not be heard.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Kpaul View Post

I'm not sure if you are aware that two resorts managed by Diamond Resorts International, Poipu Point and Kaanapali Beach Club have formed websites designed to keep owners informed in an effort to gain enough support to regain control of the boards that make the decisions for these two resorts.

Http://kbcowners.com
                        CDOPP Home Page

Go to the websites that I listed above and get involved if you want any chance of protecting the value of your vacation in Paradise.

Comment

• Owners and votes

I must say that I think it's completely ludicrous that Diamond Resorts employees can serve on the board at all. That should be considered a complete conflict of interest and should not be allowed...because it results in the exact problem we have right now, which is a self-serving group of people running a homeowner's assocation for properties that other people actually own but have no control over.

I feel strongly that the board should only be comprised of both deed and trust owners and all members should have voting rights with the votes being weighed by how many "points" are owned, etc.

Then they would stop raising fees every year, maintain what we have, and stop trying to add more locations, more "features" and more of everything else that we don't really need or want. The fact that maintenance fees have gone up by at least 3% in each of the PAST 3 YEARS is completely crazy. If anything they should have gone DOWN! I cringe when I think about what will happen if the economy ever turns around and they feel inclined to start really sticking it to us. Pretty soon NO ONE will be able to afford the maintenance fees anymore and everyone will just jump ship altogether. Bad, bad news. They are killing the golden goose!

Comment

Working...
                          X