Help me fill out this quitclaim deed! Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me fill out this quitclaim deed! Please

I am giving away one of my timeshares. I called the resort and was told to fill out a quitclaim deed. I got one and am meeting with the buyer this afternoon. It seems pretty straight forward but my head is spinning and I'm afraid of filling it out incorrectly. Does anyone have anyone have any experience with these and can help me out?

I just copied the information of the warranty deed. If you want, i can try to locate the quit claim deed, from a previous sale and forward it to you.

Comment

I've done the same thing as rapmarks... just take your current deed, copy it (changing the names & dates, of course), have it notarized and mail it to the county for recording (with recording fees). When you receive the recorded deed back from the county, submit a copy to your resort with a check for transfer fees (if required).
      Juanita

Comment

Make sure your form in from the state where the timeshare is located. Sometimes nuances in real property law, which is state specific, makes a deed form that is perfectly fine in one state not valid in another.

Comment

Well, I copied the legal description straight from the current deed which took some finagling since it was so long. I'll mail it off today. I hope it works.

Comment

What you need to be careful on as to being state specific is the deed form, NOT the legal description.

Comment

Congrats on your transfer.

I'm never a fan of "do-it-yourself" deeds.. They have caused countless problems over the years with resales. There are often numerous differences in deeding requirements, as well as language used on the document itself that vary by location. Often simple things such as margin requirements, witness requirements, etc can be problematical. My advice is always the same- spend the hundred dollars or so to have the deed professionally prepared by an attorney who is licensed in the state where the property is located.

http://www.justdeeds.com is run by a respected timeshare closing agent out of Florida that has relationships with attorneys in many different states and offers deed prep for as little as $85. There are likely other closing agents that offer similar services.
              my travel website: Vacation-Times.org.

"A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you’ve been taking."
              ~Earl Wilson

Comment

Ugh. On the advice that I received here, I did some more thorough checking and found my quit claim deed to be inadequate. I should of known better than to believe a timeshare sales office worker. Anyhow, I did some research and got a new deed made up and notarized. Called the court today to make sure I had the correct address and fee enclosed only to find out that I am missing a code needed since I am gifting the ownership. When I asked about that code, she told me that I would have to call and talk to a lawyer. The government and the lawyers sure seem to be in bed with each, so to speak. A simple google search retrieved that code, but now my next issue. All my research before told me to state the consideration at $10 if there was no money changing hands so that's what I did. When I told the first lady at the court that, she kind of laughed and said that is just a figure of speech. In reading the code online, it states " Such deed shall state therein that it is a deed of gift." My dilemma: Do I add the code to the top and send it in as is or redo the entire thing changing "the sum of $10.00" to "gifted" and get it notarized a third time?

BTW This is in Williamsburg, VA.

Comment

I can't tell you the answer to that, but I will tell you that in about one half the transactions we did with lawyers concerning real estate, they made a mistake. in fact, while a lawyer was doing something with the title to my mother's condo, he discovered that my sister's condo has the incorrect unit number o it (my mother's condo number). that was done by a lawyer. This lawyer is not blameless however, he redid my mother's will, and inadvertantly added a complete strangers name to the list of heirs.

I sold my timeshare to a lawyer, he typed up a quit claim deed, registered it, and it appears everything is fine. I originally bought that timeshare using a quit claim deed and used a quit claim deed I typed myself to transfer it to my trust.

Comment

Any recommendations of a closing company for North Carolina?

Comment

Originally posted by riverdees05 View Post
                      Any recommendations of a closing company for North Carolina?
                      North Carolina is an attorney state, so you need to work with a North Carolina licensed attorney.

Comment

Be careful with quit claim deeds. They should only be used when you trust the other party thoroughly. It only gives up your rights to the property. It does not give up your responsibility to pay for said property unless the other party is honest enough to take over that responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                        X