• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: La Residence Normande

Following is an overview of the review that was added:

A good base to explore Saving Private Ryan country and much more besides

Please see the review here!

Please use this thread to discuss the review.

I hope that the trip of 6 months ago is not considered too old to be worthwhile, I noticed that there were not any others for this resort

Originally posted by RayAndrews View Post
    Following is an overview of the review that was added:

A good base to explore Saving Private Ryan country and much more besides

Please see the review here!

Please use this thread to discuss the review.

I hope that the trip of 6 months ago is not considered too old to be worthwhile, I noticed that there were not any others for this resort
    Thanks for posting a review, and no, 6 months is not too old - especially since there are no other reviews.

Could you provide a bit more info by answering the follwing questions?
    Just 'quote' my post and answerin CAPS if you like!
    Thanks in advance!

Unit
    How was the unit size? Was it comfortable for 2? or 4? air conditioned?
    Were there many stairs to the unit or is there an elevator?
    What was the bed size? 2 twins, a double or queen. Murphy bed or pull out sofa?
    How was the bathroom? Shower or tub? Room to put your 'stuff'
    How was the kitchen? was it 'well supplied' with plates and utensils, coffee pot! was there a cook top and oven? microwave?
    Do you think it was a comfortable place to stay to tour the area?

Resort
    Was there a restaurant onsite? Nearby places to eat?

Transportation
    Do you need a car? Public Transportation?
    Nearest major/secondary airport(s)?

Area attractions that u enjoyed, sights/areas visited? Places you WISH you visited! How far away were these places?
    Pat
    *** My Website ***

Comment

Pat

Some of your questions can be answered by the RCI description:

La Residence Normande

At 120km from Paris, in the heart of a wooded park set in three acres of gardens, La Residence Normande comprises of 14 units. It is less than 100m from an elegant four star hotel named Le Moulin De Connelles, independent from the timeshare resort, where you can appreciate the Gastronome Restaurant. On the 'island', the park includes a heated outdoor pool (summer only) and small rowing boats on the river. The resort is ideal for those in search of peace and quiet. A car is considered essential.
      But I too would like more info about the rooms.
      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill4728 View Post
        Pat

Some of your questions can be answered by the RCI description:

But I too would like more info about the rooms.
        I have found that the descriptions provided by RCI and II are not always "accurate'.
        Pat
        *** My Website ***

Comment

Ray, thanks for posting the review!

I've got an exchange for La Residence Normandie in May of 2009. I understand I will need a car, is the driving very difficult? Did you utilize a GPS and if so can you recommend one.

I'm thinking of staying a few days in Paris, then an overnight in Versailles, then on to the Normandy. Did you also visit Honfleur and Mont-St-Michel?

Thanks!

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by mpizza View Post
            Ray, thanks for posting the review!

I've got an exchange for La Residence Normandie in May of 2009. I understand I will need a car, is the driving very difficult? Did you utilize a GPS and if so can you recommend one.

I'm thinking of staying a few days in Paris, then an overnight in Versailles, then on to the Normandy. Did you also visit Honfleur and Mont-St-Michel?

Thanks!

Maria
            II or RCI???

Ray said he will add some more details for us - LOL, he didn't realize how curious everyone is about this resort!
            Excellent choice for your first review Ray
            Pat
            *** My Website ***

Comment

Dh and I stayed in Honfleur a few years ago in a studio apartment we exchanged through Dial an Exchange. The owners ( British couple) we met while i at the apartment. It was small, but clean and only a short walk from many of the restaurants and quayside. They also have a larger apartment available...I did not view that apartment but have inclused the link below. I found the area lovely and the people wonderful. I would go back in an instant. We were there in mid-May and found the weather cool to cold with a good bit of rain. We rented a car and parking is a challenge in the area, but due to having the apartment we did have a resident permit.

Honfleur france Apartments

If you have Dial an Exchange banked weeks the owners, John and Jane Donabie, have been known to receive calls from Dial an Exchange asking for banking and have done so. It is just an additional outlet for a possible exhcnage. I am not affiliated in any way with John and Jane Donabie, only know of them from my exchange and found the area delightful.

I know the site says to bring your own sheets, towels, etc., but the owners understanding we were coming from the US supplied everything for us and stated that it was understood by them when the exchanger or tenant is traveling by air.

Joy
              “ Peace, if it ever exists, will not be based on the fear of war but on the love of peace. ”

— Herman Wouk

Comment

I am a Diamond points owner and got this booking as a half point last minute deal booking 24th October for 22nd December arrival.

Unit: We stayed in a 1 bed standard, (sleeps 2).Bedroom with wardrobe, adequate space for 2 persons. Plenty of space for two persons. Air conditioning when it is -4° C is not an issue! The apptmnt was very warm and comfortable for two persons.

The arrangement of this part of the resort is maisonettes (not sure if this term is used in US, but basically we had a ground floor unit, there was a separate door with stairs to access the first floor unit) No elevator as resort is low rise.
                We had 2 twins, one of the units in the Manoir that we looked at had a Murphy, I think that as a general comment you will find that European accommodation is smaller than US standard.
                The Bathroom had a shower. There was adequate space for “stuff “
                The kitchen was cramped, a vacant space in the corner could have been used to provide more worktop space and a microwave, we didn’t ask for one whilst there as there was nowhere to put it without reducing the rest of the space. Having said that we cooked Christmas dinner (Forerib of beef + 4 Veg, and a dessert) although we moved the table from the kitchen into the lounge which was a larger space with more room.

There was no restaurant onsite, although there was a small restaurant across the road from the resort, we did not eat there, although others who have give favourable reports. As mentioned in my report there is a four star hotel and restaurant where we had a gastronomic meal which was very enjoyable. Moulin de Connelles - Hotel **** Restaurant
                There are also other restaurants within 15 mins drive both in the surrounding countryside and nearby town.
                Bread to order and wine are available from reception, for most supplies a trip to the local town is necessary.

Transportation:

Car essential, only realistic option from US is CDG, which is 80 miles, a €200 taxifare one way is quoted, and once at the resort there is nothing close by apart from walks along the river.

There is more than enough to do within a 2 hr car drive, for me the D Day landing beach sites and associated museums were a major draw, with Utah Beach, Omaha Beach and the American Cemetry being obvious highlights for Americans.
                We visited:
                Cluizel’s Chocolate factory tour Chocolatrium he has a store in New York Chocolat Michel Cluizel – great trip we spent about $100 on the products after!
                Bayeux Tapestry - 1000 yrs old, depicting the last time we got beaten up by the French! This is 78 yards long and is really special.
                Disney – not a treat if you have experienced US version
                Rouen Cathedral – built over 400 years between 12th and 16th century
                Honfleur – Picturesque maritime port – probably more attractive in summer
                Les Andelys – site of Richard the Lionheart’s ruined castle

We would like to see:
                Mont-St-Michel – Abbey on a rock just off the coast founded 1000 years ago
                Giverny – Monet’s house and gardens that inspired his paintings

Paris is only 90 mins drive and could be tagged on as a few days extra to do the city tours. As I said in my review I used a satnav (TomTom) and did not have problems while I left it set to using quickest route, (I have seen other posts where people have ended up in remote farmyards!). On the one occasion when I did set shortest route, we were take through some fairly bumpy farm tracks. I think I would just take a day trip to Vesailles when staying in Paris, rather than move for one night. I hope this covers all your questions but if not you know where to find me!

Lastly it is worth mentioning that the resort is two in one, the slightly grander Manoir des Deux Amants shares the same address, but is listed as a separate resort. I used the Dorling Kindersley, Top 10 Normandy guide book and would recommend it to anyone travelling to the region as it gives a much better account than I ever could here

Diamond link: https://www.diamondresorts.com/europ...x?property=LRN

Interval link:
                Resort Directory | Le Manoir des Deux Amants

regards

Ray

Comment

HOLY COW Ray - this is GREAT!!!

Thank you so much for providing such thorough information - now I want to go
                  Pat
                  *** My Website ***

Comment

RAY - thank you so much for your report - absolutely fantastic. I'm going to Residence Normande in October 2008 - really looking forward to it now.
                    I've only just joined this forum, so I hope I've done this OK!

Comment

Working...
                    X