Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Resort, great vacation till check out sigh..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Resort, great vacation till check out sigh..

Feb 28-March 7, 2014
    Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta

We arrived to Grand Mayan Property and so, so many changes since we had been there last. Everything is changed and elaborate.
    We drove so we followed signs to Grand Mayan check in. A bit daunting as they have these loading areas, you pull up, they unload your car/taxi what have you and then place your things in these covered luggage carts , telling you repeatedly how secure they are and they even lock them but not with keys, more like plastic tabs. Off goes your luggage, you are shown where to go to check in, frankly quite the walk, but I think if handicapped they can wheelchair you or so forth. Check in was quick and easy, leaving a credit card on hold. We were there thru RCI but are actually members of Grand Luxxe, but booked RCI before we became members. We were assigned our room, a two bedroom, we had friends checking in to share unit with us in a few days. They have train like golf carts to take you around property. We called for our luggage upon arrival to room, as they said and it all appeared. Valet parking was good as was bellboy service to room, though no clue where our car was actually parked.

The rooms are the same as at any Grand Mayan. Spacious, well kept, everything you might need in a kitchen for appliances. We were not able to get an ocean view room, but our room faced over the property so was fine.
    They do have available room service for fee and also have a coupon like meal plan but does not include any beverages or drinks so we found it pricey and opted out of that. We went to grocery store for staples, and also went to the Plaza store at Grand Luxxe which was a higher price but had everything you can imagine. More on that later. We find they tend to nickel and dime you for everything for example liter of water 25 pesos in room, so we did not use.

There are numerous pools with fountains etc., throughout resort. The lazy river is just great. Poolside service is quick and easy but again pricey though portions are quite plentiful. There is a wave pool and a beach like pool. The waiters are on 2 wheeled scooters.
    The whole place has changed so much and is so expansive, and unique it feels like a mini Disney world. We dined at a few restaurants while there and again food was always good and in large portions. Service was good, drinks were also good but quite pricey. Everything was fine but there is due to the large size that lack of personalization. Not complaining as we enjoyed our stay a lot. We dined one night at Samba Restaurant and everything was great. The two ladies were celebrating birthdays so waiters were told. They brought a dessert at end of meal.. which was a nice touch until we noted they charged for it. Sort of strange as if going to pay for a dessert I would have picked what I enjoyed.

The Plaza, the shopping mall on site is two floors, groceries, chocolates, wine, alcohol, anything you can imagine, prepared food and or raw food to cook in room, all of high quality. Essentially you never have to leave the property. On the second floor were clothes and such. Even a Diamonds International. Just amazing.

The Sancturio, where you can go at night for drinks, a free shows nightly, if drinking etc. is amazing in and of itself. If you are not drinking there is a 50 peso cover charge, so at least have one drink and enjoy! It is an impressive area.

We had daily maid service and turn down service if desired. The keys another unique feature, are actually your bracelets you wear as guests. So always accessible. We went into Puerto Vallarta only one night as there was just so much going on that we did not need to venture about.

We had a great time and looked forward to our return, until checkout. You have to check out by 10am, early check out I think. Called bellboys and the guys went to pay, check out, and such. The bellboy loaded all our luggage, two couples, driving onto one luggage cart, which I thought was a bit much, but so be it. The cart was locked in front of us and off the luggage went. The guys went to car to have it loaded while the ladies waited in room. This was the first mistake. Apparently when bellboy arrived with luggage, it was separated into two carts ( huge mistake, breach of their own policy). The guys had them load everything into car and felt all was okay as number of pieces of luggage was correct. I would never have done that I would have checked certain bags for things, but I am the packer. Off we went , quite happy.

Upon arrival via car to Lake Chapala, I went to get my Ipad out of my pink bag, where I keep it in a case with keyboard. I usually carry this bag with me, but I felt very secure in this luggage cart locking procedure etc., so I let them take that bag also. ( Third mistake). No Ipad in the pink bag, just the Ipad case and keyboard. I told hubby and he said oh no, maybe you put in different bag so we unpacked everything. No IPad. Then it is when hubby told me about the two luggage carts. I would have questioned it right away. I would have checked for my Ipad. Well we called Grand Mayan, filed a complaint and they tried to say must have been taken by airline, no we drove and never left car alone. We send letters, to many people at Grand Mayan, Vida Headquarters etc., and they assured us everything was on camera and so on and so forth. In the end their response was there was no proof the Ipad was taken by bellboys. Well the biggest point I felt was just in breaching their own policy and opening the luggage cart and changing it into two without one of us present was enough proof of a problem. I was told a manager was present, frankly I did not care who was present, my Ipad was taken, and they broke their own procedure and have an unhappy customer, who is actually an owner at Grand Luxxe and not so sure how we feel about that now.
    We are due at Grand Bliss in a few weeks via an RCI exchange also booked before becoming Grand Luxxe members. They are giving us a VIP check in, not too impressed. My Ipad has never been found, I have disabled it online. I do feel they, Vida property should have taken responsibility for this due to their breaking their own rules. If I were to say something was missing, as a lie, it would be something much more than an Ipad 3. So I advise anyone going there to make sure al valuables are with you the whole time during check in and check out, despite the feeling of security they give you.

My husband says when we go to Grand Bliss we are staying with luggage but not sure that is possible, as they have a system. I do know we had a great vacation and the property is amazing, but we are thoroughly disappointed in their handling of this situation. If I were not a member, it could be that we would not return at all. For the sake of a small amount of money to replace an Ipad they have made a very unhappy customer/member. ( Mind you was bad enough I had sensitive information on my Ipad due to being a breast cancer survivor so some pictures etc. not what you want out there). In closing great vacation and property, very poor customer satisfaction in a bad situation.

I am looking forward to staying at Grand Bliss and then using our membership at Grand Luxxe despite all this but my husband is not, and feels sorry we purchased he said. His words Customer is always right and an unhappy customer is poor business.
    Timeshare Addict - Mexico Travel Abounds - Happy Vacations!!

We stayed here some 15 years ago. Back then w3e felt like this was there best property. the waiter service was tops and the entertainment by the pool was also the best. Just be sure to look over your bill at checkout. There were other peoples bills on my groups bills
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Sorry to hear this Bezerk. I can understand Hubby's frustration.
      The Grand resorts look so beautiful it's a shame but it happens everywhere.
      I've had issues at the Hilton timeshares in Orlando and the management
      never does anything about it. Disney handled it a bit better but I have
      learned my lesson.

I don't trust anyone with my electronics and valuables at any of these hotels or timeshares anymore.
      It's just too tempting and too easy to steal.
      I only travel with my kindle now or take it with me in the car if I take the laptop.
      Can you put a claim with your homeowners insurance?

Comment

I'm glad you had such a nice stay and sorry to hear about the unfortunate ending. I hope you are able to chalk it up to "lesson learned," try to focus on the positives of your trip, and avoid leaving valuables with checked luggage in the future. This kind of thing is all too common and without clear evidence it's not surprising the resort wouldn't do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
          We stayed here some 15 years ago. Back then w3e felt like this was there best property. the waiter service was tops and the entertainment by the pool was also the best. Just be sure to look over your bill at checkout. There were other peoples bills on my groups bills
          In 15 years it is completely different Frank....it remains an incredible property, good service with yes some security issues ie: the Ipad and such and poor customer relations but the service and grounds, rooms etc. are wonderful. You would not believe the changes.

Comment

Lesson learned and yes I know these things happen everywhere just they push so hard to tel you how secure and all and then to have this happen especially where they broke their own rules, changing from one luggage cart to two, without our presence. I never leave my bag of valuables, I lost my senses with their showmanship!!! Not again...

Comment

Sorry to hear about your ipad! What a shame! Glad that you had a great trip, otherwise, tho. BTW, did you have any travel insurance? Sometimes they cover stolen items, up to a set amount.

Originally posted by bezerk View Post
              Lesson learned and yes I know these things happen everywhere just they push so hard to tel you how secure and all and then to have this happen especially where they broke their own rules, changing from one luggage cart to two, without our presence. I never leave my bag of valuables, I lost my senses with their showmanship!!! Not again...
              Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

no insurance, oh well....

Comment

Thank you for your review, but I'm so sorry about your ipad! Ever since an airline lost my luggage when I was a teenager I've been paranoid about letting my luggage out of my sight -- which can make staying some places rather interesting. I must not be the only one who wants to hang onto my stuff, or they wouldn't have such an elaborate system set up there. Bummer that it didn't help. Hope your next experience there is better.
                  Hobbitess
                  Last edited by Hobbitess; 07-15-2014, 01:17 PM.

Comment

We've been there twice but they were changing things the last time we were there, and we've heard that you can hardly get off property now. It used to be easy to walk over to the marina, etc an eat at great small restaurants, but no more, apparently.
                    7 years of fulltime timesharing, only 6-7 months, now based in Puyallup, WA
                    www.ronandjoanjourney@blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by ronandjoan View Post
                      We've been there twice but they were changing things the last time we were there, and we've heard that you can hardly get off property now. It used to be easy to walk over to the marina, etc an eat at great small restaurants, but no more, apparently.
                      Yes that is true you now have to either take a taxi out or walk the beach.. so much has changed.

As an aside my Ipad showed up about two years later when a maid called me at home and said she had it, she had bought it at resort in lost and found..How interesting? They never checked that area despite my reports..very weird. The resort did recover the ipad and I did pick it up at resort but by then I had a new tablet and a sour taste in my mouth, I sold the Ipad and frankly the manager who returned it was not exactly kind, apologetic or anything.

Oh well, so long ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X