St. George's Club, Bermuda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. George's Club, Bermuda

We just came back from a half-week trip to the St. George's Club. A last minute sighting was posted and the TPUs were 12. The airfare was good, so we jumped on it for a short getaway.
    The resort is close to the airport. Everyone has to take a taxi to get there. There are metered cabs. The fare was $13 to get to the resort. On the way back, it was a flat $20 and the driver did not put the meter on.
    The resort sits high on a hill overlooking a golf course on one side and the harbor on the other. It consist of a series of pale yellow cottages looping around the resort.
    The one thing about this resort is, there are stairs EVERYWHERE. If you cannot do stairs, this is not the place for you. There is a resort shuttle that will take you from your cottage to the clubhouse, or in to town, but you still have to walk up/down stairs to enter the cottages. Our cottage was on the first floor (the buildings are 2-story) and we had to walk up stairs, then down stairs to enter.
    The resort staff are very pleasant and helpful. There is a mandatory $60 per person charge that gives you a credit to their upscale restaurant, Griffin, which is pricey. Because we were there only 3 nights, we did not have to pay this, and we did not eat there. We did eat in their more casual restaurant, the Beach House, which overlooks Achilles' Bay and the resort's private beach. The beach is small but beautiful. It wasn't crowded when we went. The water was crystal clear and warm, and there is a tiki bar carved in to the rocks. There are paddle boards, kayaks, and snorkel equipment
    available.
    Our unit was a 1BR,1BA and was very clean. It was showing wear, however. The furniture was a bit worn. They replaced the arm chair in the living room the day we were there, but the green print chair did not match the black/gray striped sofa at all.
    There was a full kitchen with stainless steel appliances, very nicely equipped. There were lots of gadgets, including a pizza wheel. They gave you a full bottle of gel dishwasher detergent, and there were instructions that the dishes had to be done upon check out. There was a toaster, coffee maker and even an electric kettle. The countertop was granite.
    The bathroom had a small stall shower and a huge tub, which was not jetted. There were double sinks and plenty of towels. You do not get a towel exchange here,except at mid-week housekeeping, which each unit is charged $20 for. We still had to pay this charge even though we only stayed 3 nights.
    The bed was very comfortable, with two full closets, 2 end tables and a desk. There was also an armoire. There were 3 lamps and an overhead light in the ceiling fan.
    There was no tv in the bedroom, and a flat screen one on a dresser in the living room.
    The table only had two chairs even though the unit was supposed to sleep 4. There were 4 chairs on the patio, along with a table and a chaise lounge. We overlooked the pool and the harbor and it was very pretty.
    There are 3 pools on the premises, all small and quiet. One is enclosed by glass walls (no ceilings) and is heated, to allow people to swim in the cooler weather. A tiki bar is open at the main pool in the afternoon, but not in the evening.
    There are tennis courts which are lighted and a shop that rents mopeds on site, but we were told that the shop is not always staffed so we rented our scooter at the shop in town (same company). We were able to return the bike to the shop at the resort and drop the keys off there.
    The ferry terminal is at the foot of the hill across from the resort, and it is an easy and beautiful ride to Dockside, where the cruise ships stay. If you want to go to Hamilton, you have to take a bus, cab or scooter.
    There is a market in the town. The shuttle will take you there and pick you up. The cashier will call the resort to ask the driver to pick you up when you are done. Groceries are VERY expensive in Bermuda.
    This was my first time to the island. It was beautiful. We visited the national museum, the Crystal Caves and some other historical places. We very much enjoyed our stay at the St. George's Club.
    Jacki

How did you like there beach. I found it so nice that I did not need to go to any other beach, Did the meet the restaurant chef and mention me
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
      How did you like there beach. I found it so nice that I did not need to go to any other beach, Did the meet the restaurant chef and mention me
      We loved the beach, and didn't go to any other.
      We didn't eat in the restaurant, only the Beach House restaurant. Is it the same chef?
      Jacki

Comment

Very detailed review. Love it. So glad you were able to get away even if was just for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by jackio View Post
          We loved the beach, and didn't go to any other.
          We didn't eat in the restaurant, only the Beach House restaurant. Is it the same chef?
          He runs all the restaurants and he is sometimes at the beach house.I should have mentioned that the One of the woman who is at the front desk, her husband has a small breakfast place in town. good food but it is small and nothing to look at
          Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Thanks for your great review, Jacki! Glad you had a wonderful time.

Dori

Comment

Originally posted by Dori View Post
              Thanks for your great review, Jacki! Glad you had a wonderful time.

Dori
              +1!

Comment

We are going in September. Can't wait!

Comment

Thanks for the review, Jackie. So glad that you had a wonderful time!

Hope that happymum has a great time, too!
                  Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

Nice thorough review. Thanks!

Comment

I forgot to add that there are 2 tiers of internet service. The free service is really crappy, spotty at best. The faster service is $50/week. We didn't go for it because we were only there 3 nights/4 days but it might be worth it for the whole week. I met an owner there who said the free internet used to be good, but has been terrible for the last few years. He hinted that there is conflict between the HOA and the developer, and that the developer is cheaping out on things. He said there are 3 more years on his lease and he is anxious to see what happens.
                      Jacki

Comment

Working...
                      X