New tax imposed on timeshares in the US Virgin Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tax imposed on timeshares in the US Virgin Islands

Governor Kenneth Mapp recently signed five bills into law, among them key elements of the revised Revenue Enhancement and Economic Recovery Act, widely known as the sin tax bill. The new laws increase taxes on alcoholic beverages, sugary carbonated beverages, cigarettes, and timeshare unit owners. During his press conference, the governor said that the sin tax bill will produce an additional $8 million in tax revenue between May 1 and September 30.

The new tax imposes an environmental/infrastructure impact fee levied at $25 per day of occupancy by the owner/user in the timeshare unit. The new fee will be collected by the resort and must be transmitted and paid within 30 days following the last day of the month concerned. For a weekly timeshare interval, this single tax adds another $175 in fees to an already overburdened ownership base.

Timeshares that will be impacted by this include:
    Bluebeard's Beach Club
    Bluebeard's Castle
    Divi Carina Bay
    Elysian Beach Resort
    Hotel on the Cay
    Magens Point
    Margaritaville Vacation Club by Wyndham at St Thomas
    Marriott Frenchman's Cove
    Sapphire Beach Resort
    Ritz Carlton- St Thomas

The new sin taxes are intended to raise funds to keep government agencies open amid ongoing budget shortfalls, and also to reassure markets that have downgraded the government's debt rating and are no longer lending to the territory. It is interesting to note, however, that the island's governor vetoed parts of the tax bill which sought to impose additional austerity measures on the Executive Branch of government.

Those vetoed provisions would have:

– Prohibited the use of nonessential government vehicles after the end of the work day;
    – Mandated a 30 percent reduction in vehicle use;
    – Required government cell phones be returned within 30 days;
    – Mandated that agencies are to coordinate with entities that have teleconferencing to meet by teleconference instead of paying for members to travel between islands;
    – Prohibited government officials from staying overnight in hotels on holidays;
    – Limited government fuel use to 10 gallons every two days and mandate users of vehicles to maintain fuel logs and turn them over to Property and Procurement for compilation.
    my travel website: Vacation-Times.org.

"A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you’ve been taking."
    ~Earl Wilson

Westin St John
    Pat
    *** My Website ***

Comment

Worldmark has units at the elysian, and they already have a fairly substantial energy fee. Adding the tax makes it one of the most expensive resorts in the network. I have to think this will hurt occupancy, partially offsetting the point of the tax.

I am also not impressed that timeshares got lumped into a sin tax. Drinking, gambling, smoking, timesharing, one of these is not like the others (or maybe it is also addictive, bit I don't think it's bad for you...)

Comment

I own at Hotel on the Cay, Been paying MF every year and have not gone back in 10 years.
        Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

I always thought that Hotel on the Cay was an interesting property, and those resale listings sold very quickly back in the early 2000's, but I haven't seen any activity there for some time. The staff was always wonderful to work with and seemed very supportive of the secondary market. The biggest delay was getting Phillip (memory is a bit fuzzy on their names so I apologize if I whiffed on the name) to cross over to the mainland to pick up and send transfer letters. The guy was also the activity director, so I always imagined him crossing over on a kayak!

Seems like the last ten years the increasing fees really hurt that property. This tax will just make it worse.... ARDA-ROC filed a lawsuit to try and get the fee declared unconstitutional- but unless that judge grants a stay to stop implementation, the damage to small resorts will be significant long before the case ever completes. Unfortunately, with the severe financial trouble on the island- I don't have much faith that a local judge will attempt to stop collection and risk insolvency. If the current government runs out of money, I believe a federal oversight board from the US would take over as we saw in Puerto Rico. While that might be beneficial in the long run- no local islander would be happy with outsiders taking over their government finances.
          my travel website: Vacation-Times.org.

"A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you’ve been taking."
          ~Earl Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by bizaro86 View Post
            Worldmark has units at the elysian, and they already have a fairly substantial energy fee. Adding the tax makes it one of the most expensive resorts in the network. I have to think this will hurt occupancy, partially offsetting the point of the tax.

I am also not impressed that timeshares got lumped into a sin tax. Drinking, gambling, smoking, timesharing, one of these is not like the others (or maybe it is also addictive, bit I don't think it's bad for you...)
            It looks like all the WM inventory are studio. I don't know what the resort was before WM bought some units but it could be an old motel converted into small WM units regarding the WM inventory. Maybe Wyndham has larger units at this resort, idk.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
              I own at Hotel on the Cay, Been paying MF every year and have not gone back in 10 years.
              So what are you doing with this ? Renting it out ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
                That place looks very neat. I have added it to my bucket list, as the beach/location seem worth a trip.

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                  So what are you doing with this ? Renting it out ?
                  Let me know if you are interested in going, just pay the MF
                  Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Well this really sucks for the owners.
                    I was hoping to go to St. Thomas again next year.

Are they trying to force these resorts into default?
                    I imagine hotels would bring in alot more revenue
                    than timeshares so maybe they want them gone.

I'm seeing the same sort of sentiment here with
                    the older timeshares. The land is just to valuable
                    to leave as an old frumpy dumpy converted motel
                    TS. I know my days are numbered in my little
                    happy place in the sand. Trump already took one
                    of my favorites here in Miami beach and Hollywood
                    beach is just up the road where the new Margaritaville
                    is.

Even my home condo where I live is being eyed by the
                    Russians. We are just sitting on a much too valuable
                    piece of real estate. I'm afraid our days are numbered
                    here too. I just hope we can cash out big time when the
                    day comes. It won't be cheap to replace this lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by chriskre View Post
                      Well this really sucks for the owners.
                      I was hoping to go to St. Thomas again next year.

Are they trying to force these resorts into default?
                      I imagine hotels would bring in alot more revenue
                      than timeshares so maybe they want them gone.

I'm seeing the same sort of sentiment here with
                      the older timeshares. The land is just to valuable
                      to leave as an old frumpy dumpy converted motel
                      TS. I know my days are numbered in my little
                      happy place in the sand. Trump already took one
                      of my favorites here in Miami beach and Hollywood
                      beach is just up the road where the new Margaritaville
                      is.

Even my home condo where I live is being eyed by the
                      Russians. We are just sitting on a much too valuable
                      piece of real estate. I'm afraid our days are numbered
                      here too. I just hope we can cash out big time when the
                      day comes. It won't be cheap to replace this lifestyle.
                      With full ownership condos I think you're more likely to get a payday if the land gets valuable enough. Owners have a big enough stake that you can get people to vote and pay attention to any funny business.

Comment

Most people don't own in the town they live in, so hitting the timeshares with as big a tax as possible is not something there will be lots of complaints about. Timeshare owners often pay more than they should for taxes. They don't use many services that the locals get, particularly taxes that go for schools. Timeshare valuations are also often higher than they should be, particularly when resale values are low. Timeshares are a good deal for the local taxing authority and bring lots of money into the local and surrounding areas.

Comment

There are two lawsuits filed against the USVI government re this new occupancy fee. One by ARDA and other one by Ritz owners, can find them if you google.

Comment

Working...
                          X