Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boutique Resort LaJolla, Mazatlan, Mexicio $6,175.00 Scam!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boutique Resort LaJolla, Mazatlan, Mexicio $6,175.00 Scam!

On December 17, 2007 we signed a contract with Boutique Resort La Jolla, Mazatalan for 27,500 fractional ownership points. We had an addendum to the contract which made the purchase of the fractional ownership points, contingent upon the sale of our previously owned timeshare in Virginia Beach, VA. The merchant had to sell our VA beach timeshare in six months,or no later than June 17, 2008.

We signed a waiver for the 5-day cooling off period, which we found out later was illegal by Mexican law. The merchant required us to make an earnest money down payment of 50% of the purchase price, with a new application for a Bank of America credit card.

The merchant's bank, Santander Serfin, processed the credit card purchase. Bank of America purchased 24.9% of Grupo Santander Serfin in March, 2003. Making the merchant's bank and Bank of America partners. The merchant sent me an email on December 27, 2007 stating, "that the state law in Virginia Beach complicates things for us a little." I knew then that we were scammed. I notified Bank of America, and they said that I had to make the 1% interest payments on the credit card pending the expiration of the contract on June 17, 2008.However, on March 31, 2008 I received a letter from Bank of America, crediting my payments and the entire credit card purchase. One June 10, 2008, I received another letter from Bank of America stating that they had received a letter from the merchant, and they were re-issuing the charges. The merchant failed to sell the Virginia Beach timeshare, and we canceled the contract as per our option, that was written and signed by the merchant. We submitted the contract cancelation both by US certified mail and email to Boutique Resort La Jolla on June, 17, 2008. Bank of America refused to credit my credit card, and Boutique Resort La Jolla refused to honor the contract. Boutique Resort La Jolla sent us an email on July 21,2008 admitting,"first of all, you are obviously right, in not being delivered what was promised."

So, even with a signed confession, Bank of America

continued to refused to credit my credit card for the earnest money deposit of $6,175.00.Bank of America states that Boutique Resort La Jolla will no longer respond to their inquiries. My Bank of America credit card is a Mastercard. I visited the MasterCard wordlwide network website, and found that Bank of America has arbitration chargeback and other options at their disposal to seek a refund from their partner bank Santander Serfin. Boutique Resort La Jolla requested to be paid the remaining balance due on the fractional ownership points in the July 21, 2008 email. We had to hire an attorney, and paid another $500.00, to reinforce our contract cancellation with the merchant. We had to pay the Bank of America credit card charges, or risk being reported to the credit bureaus. We thought that having a written contract would protect our rights. I have submitted PROFECO complaints both directly to the PROFECO office in Mexico City, as well as through the US embassy in Mexico. I have reported Bank of America to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Better Business Bureau of Maryland and Delaware. I have written my Congressman, the Better Business Bureau of Delaware, the Attorney General Offices of Maryland and Delaware. I have been doing my research on the issue of timeshare scams in Mexico, and have found that tens of millions of America dollars are being exploited each year. I plan to exhaust every option at my disposal to obtain a refund of my earnest money down payment. So, just a reminder, to all vacationers, it's not just the timeshare salesmen to be wary of, also be wary of the banks that are in league with them. I believe that Bank of America is equally as guilty of timeshare fraud as is Boutique Resort La Jolla, Mazatlan, Mexico.

Originally posted by PJTSytms97 View Post
    On December 17, 2007 we signed a contract with Boutique Resort La Jolla, Mazatalan for 27,500 fractional ownership points. We had an addendum to the contract which made the purchase of the fractional ownership points, contingent upon the sale of our previously owned timeshare in Virginia Beach, VA. The merchant had to sell our VA beach timeshare in six months,or no later than June 17, 2008.

We signed a waiver for the 5-day cooling off period, which we found out later was illegal by Mexican law. The merchant required us to make an earnest money down payment of 50% of the purchase price, with a new application for a Bank of America credit card.

The merchant's bank, Santander Serfin, processed the credit card purchase. Bank of America purchased 24.9% of Grupo Santander Serfin in March, 2003. Making the merchant's bank and Bank of America partners. The merchant sent me an email on December 27, 2007 stating, "that the state law in Virginia Beach complicates things for us a little." I knew then that we were scammed. I notified Bank of America, and they said that I had to make the 1% interest payments on the credit card pending the expiration of the contract on June 17, 2008.However, on March 31, 2008 I received a letter from Bank of America, crediting my payments and the entire credit card purchase. One June 10, 2008, I received another letter from Bank of America stating that they had received a letter from the merchant, and they were re-issuing the charges. The merchant failed to sell the Virginia Beach timeshare, and we canceled the contract as per our option, that was written and signed by the merchant. We submitted the contract cancelation both by US certified mail and email to Boutique Resort La Jolla on June, 17, 2008. Bank of America refused to credit my credit card, and Boutique Resort La Jolla refused to honor the contract. Boutique Resort La Jolla sent us an email on July 21,2008 admitting,"first of all, you are obviously right, in not being delivered what was promised."

So, even with a signed confession, Bank of America

continued to refused to credit my credit card for the earnest money deposit of $6,175.00.Bank of America states that Boutique Resort La Jolla will no longer respond to their inquiries. My Bank of America credit card is a Mastercard. I visited the MasterCard wordlwide network website, and found that Bank of America has arbitration chargeback and other options at their disposal to seek a refund from their partner bank Santander Serfin. Boutique Resort La Jolla requested to be paid the remaining balance due on the fractional ownership points in the July 21, 2008 email. We had to hire an attorney, and paid another $500.00, to reinforce our contract cancellation with the merchant. We had to pay the Bank of America credit card charges, or risk being reported to the credit bureaus. We thought that having a written contract would protect our rights. I have submitted PROFECO complaints both directly to the PROFECO office in Mexico City, as well as through the US embassy in Mexico. I have reported Bank of America to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Better Business Bureau of Maryland and Delaware. I have written my Congressman, the Better Business Bureau of Delaware, the Attorney General Offices of Maryland and Delaware. I have been doing my research on the issue of timeshare scams in Mexico, and have found that tens of millions of America dollars are being exploited each year. I plan to exhaust every option at my disposal to obtain a refund of my earnest money down payment. So, just a reminder, to all vacationers, it's not just the timeshare salesmen to be wary of, also be wary of the banks that are in league with them. I believe that Bank of America is equally as guilty of timeshare fraud as is Boutique Resort La Jolla, Mazatlan, Mexico.
    Hello,

My husband and I are at Boutique La Jolla this morning. They are treating us like royalty. They recognized my husband from El Cid where some of the La Jolla managers and employees used to work.

We had a wonderful breakfast and tour. I am here now using WiFi while they explain the program. I always check TS4SM to search the name of resorts while they quote prices.

I showed your complaint to the management. They asked if I knew your name. But you only have your TS4SM Username. We are at a loss on what happened.

They are offering a hell of a deal. Is the only reason you had a problem with Boutique La Jolla is that they could not sell your Virginia Beach timeshare?

Please let us know. Thank you.

Ken & Barbie aka Flexible
    My Website Link Oked by BF

Comment

Boutique Resort La Jolla

Originally posted by flexible
      Hello,

My husband and I are at Boutique La Jolla this morning. They are treating us like royalty. They recognized my husband from El Cid where some of the La Jolla managers and employees used to work.

We had a wonderful breakfast and tour. I am here now using WiFi while they explain the program. I always check TS4SM to search the name of resorts while they quote prices.

I showed your complaint to the management. They asked if I knew your name. But you only have your TS4SM Username. We are at a loss on what happened.

They are offering a hell of a deal. Is the only reason you had a problem with Boutique La Jolla is that they could not sell your Virginia Beach timeshare?

Please let us know. Thank you.

Ken & Barbie aka Flexible
      Hi Ken and Barbie,
      I hope that my response is not too late to help you. Mr. Lobato knows who I am, I have subscribed to a website whereby each time someone reads my story, he receives a response. He sent me an email recently stating, that he was going to block my email address. My name is Pamela J. Turner.

Our problem was breach of contract by Mr. Fernando Lobato, our salesman-now, I believe he is the developer.
      He drew up a contract with an addendum. He was to sell our Virginia Beach timeshare for $12,000 by June 17, 2008. We were to purchase 27, 500 Boutique Resort La Jolla fractional ownership points, for $11,400, if he sold our Virginia Beach timeshare. If he did not sell our timeshare by June 17, 2008, the addendum to the contract stated that we could cancel the contract and Boutique Resort La Jolla would reimburse all monies given up to that point. Mr. Lobato did not sell our timeshare, by June 17, 2008, we sent him notification that we were canceling the contract, and requested that he reimburse the earnest money down payment. Mr. Lobato to date, has refused to abide by Contract No. 417 with Addendum. We hired an attorney, who sent him a letter on July 21, 2008. We have not received any correspondence from him sense, except the email blocking my email address.
      I intend to warn as many people as possible about this scam. If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know. I can say what I have about Mr. Lobato, and Boutique Resort La Jolla, because every word is true, I wish he would come after me legally. I have lived this nightmare for almosta year now. I cannot tell you how being defrauded changes, the way you view life in general, as well as your future business interactions.

Comment

Originally posted by PJTSytms97
        Hi Ken and Barbie,
        I hope that my response is not too late to help you. Mr. Lobato knows who I am, I have subscribed to a website whereby each time someone reads my story, he receives a response. He sent me an email recently stating, that he was going to block my email address. My name is Pamela J. Turner.

Our problem was breach of contract by Mr. Fernando Lobato, our salesman-now, I believe he is the developer.
        He drew up a contract with an addendum. He was to sell our Virginia Beach timeshare for $12,000 by June 17, 2008. We were to purchase 27, 500 Boutique Resort La Jolla fractional ownership points, for $11,400, if he sold our Virginia Beach timeshare. If he did not sell our timeshare by June 17, 2008, the addendum to the contract stated that we could cancel the contract and Boutique Resort La Jolla would reimburse all monies given up to that point. Mr. Lobato did not sell our timeshare, by June 17, 2008, we sent him notification that we were canceling the contract, and requested that he reimburse the earnest money down payment. Mr. Lobato to date, has refused to abide by Contract No. 417 with Addendum. We hired an attorney, who sent him a letter on July 21, 2008. We have not received any correspondence from him sense, except the email blocking my email address.
        I intend to warn as many people as possible about this scam. If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know. I can say what I have about Mr. Lobato, and Boutique Resort La Jolla, because every word is true, I wish he would come after me legally. I have lived this nightmare for almosta year now. I cannot tell you how being defrauded changes, the way you view life in general, as well as your future business interactions.
        Yes, Fernando Lobato's card lists his title as 'developer'. He drives a fancy yellow sports car. He and his partner who handles more of the construction were there each of the three days we visited last week.

Our understanding is that Fernando Lobato and several of his sales team were formerly employed with El Cid. They recognized us immediately as we have a 3.4M point contract with El Cid.

We showed the staff your post. I also mentioned it to Fernando Lobato.

So you can be sure they are aware of your concerns. I hope they return your earnest money.

Best wishes.

Comment

We bought the month of June in Diamond 2. That is the 2nd floor of the building closest to the beach, pool, and swim-up bar. The price was phenominal and with fixed maintenance fees, we did not feel that we could go wrong. We are looking forward to going next June when there will only be 8 families there! We did not trade anything in - just bought outright. All of our MP & GM weeks are set up that if we do not use them, we do not pay MF, so we figured we would try LaJolla next summer and use our GM weeks for our family vacation at Thanksgiving. LaJolla is not as snazzy as the Grand Mayan, but we liked the small resort for taking grandkids to.
          Phyllis

Comment

Originally posted by pittle View Post
            We bought the month of June in Diamond 2. That is the 2nd floor of the building closest to the beach, pool, and swim-up bar. The price was phenominal and with fixed maintenance fees, we did not feel that we could go wrong. We are looking forward to going next June when there will only be 8 families there! We did not trade anything in - just bought outright. All of our MP & GM weeks are set up that if we do not use them, we do not pay MF, so we figured we would try LaJolla next summer and use our GM weeks for our family vacation at Thanksgiving. LaJolla is not as snazzy as the Grand Mayan, but we liked the small resort for taking grandkids to.
            They offered us a "Hell of a Deal" as the TS Reps like to say. It includes HSI (Holiday Systems International). They told us HSI would reimburse MF for our other resorts. I asked about HSI on a separate post. I still haven't gotten a straight answer about HSI. I am in Mazatlan now. The few people I have met that say they have HSI mention they haven't 'used it.'

We emailed the Sales Manager at La Jolla on Monday and are awaiting his reply regarding HSI. HSI told us on the phone they don't want to answer prospective members questions directly.

Comment

From what I've heard in the past, the HSI part of the deal is pretty much useless. You only get reimbursed if they rent it, etc.

Where in MZT is the resort? Out North of the Zona Dorado?

Fern
              Fern Modena
              To email me, click here
              No one can make you feel inferior without your permission--Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

If you are not using a week at your resort HSI will take your week and pay the MF's. We did this several years ago and at that time they charged $50 for the service. I don't understand how this would benefit you if you don't pay MF's on weeks you don't use anyway.

Lynn

Comment

Boutique Resort La Jolla, Mazatlan Mexico $6,175.00 Scam!

I am glad to hear that all of you are pleased with your deals with Boutique Resort La Jolla, and I hope that you continue to have success with their program. The purpose of my post on this site and the others is to warn as many people, as I can, about the unscrupulous timeshare salesmen out there. If my alert can help others, to prevent them from being defrauded, then I have met my goal. Last night, I received a reply on another travel forum, from a fellow victim like myself, of Boutique Resort La Jolla, but this person stated that they had been defrauded of the entire purchase price of the fractional ownership points, and they were asking about the steps that I have taken to obtain a reimbursement of my earnest money down payment. So, not all of us have been as fortunate as you have with Boutique Resort La Jolla, Mazatlan, Mexico. I have a sense that there are many other victms out there, I just hope that they will read my posts, and take action, against this very formidible entity.

Good Luck!
                  PJTSytms97

Comment

Originally posted by Fern View Post
                    From what I've heard in the past, the HSI part of the deal is pretty much useless. You only get reimbursed if they rent it, etc.

Where in MZT is the resort? Out North of the Zona Dorado?

Fern
                    It is the "Nueva Mazatlan" area. Actually as you drive North, you reach Avenue Ernesto Coppel, and turn left for Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay. You take that road but go past Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay about two blocks. You will see Boutique La Jolla on the Right. I think their beachfront is nicer than Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay as it doesn't seem to have the big rocks.

The same road continues and passes the Mazatlan Betty Ford Center in a few miles.

Comment

Originally posted by LynnW View Post
                      If you are not using a week at your resort HSI will take your week and pay the MF's. We did this several years ago and at that time they charged $50 for the service. I don't understand how this would benefit you if you don't pay MF's on weeks you don't use anyway.

Lynn
                      We pay about $21,000 per year for MF for numerous contracts. We are inquiring about whether HSI would reimburse for some of those. We have yet to get a straight answer. At first the HSI rep said they would accept any resort that trades with RCI or II. Then we faxed her a list. A few days later she said the resort has a list of "resorts HSI will not accept." We have yet to see it. The HSI rep wouldn't answer our questions specifically and that concerns us.

Comment

Boutique Resort La Jolla, Mazatlan, Mexico $6,157.00 Scam!

I just wanted to post an update to my case against Boutique Resort La Jolla, Mazatlan, Mexico. I am continuing to work with PROFECO in Mexico City, in filing my consumer complaint for a full refund of my earnest money down payment in the amount of $6175.00. After reading all the travel forums and websites, and discovering just how many Americans have, and are undergoing this same dreaded experience, I sent a letter to President Calerone of Mexico. I have read a biography of this Harvard-educated man, and I decided that he should know, from a victim, just how one feels to be
                        treated, by some of the timeshare merchants in Mexico.
                        I told President Calderone my entire story, or should I say nightmare, of being lied to and defrauded by Boutique Resort La Jolla, and our salesman Mr. Fernando Lobato, on December 17, 2007. I informed President Calderone`
                        that I am just one of hundreds, or thousands of tourists, who let their "guards
                        down," while on vacation, and fall prey to unscrupulous timeshare salesmen, all saying, the same thing, "Let me make you a deal that you can't refuse!"

I was very moved by what I read in President Calderone's biography. I believe that he is a very just and honorable man. I am going to trust that he will have someone in his Executive Branch investigate these abuses of tourists in Mexico. If others would like to email President Calderone, I have listed the email address below.
                        www.presidencia.gob.mx/?IDM=1

Comment

Is Fernando still wearing his "WWJD" bracelet???
                          He screwed me out $15000 when he was at El Cid.
                          He is an outright liar and cheat. I filed a complaint with El Cid and Fairfield concerning his practices but I never heard anything from either.

Comment

Boutique Resort LaJolla Mazatlan Mexico $6175.00 Scam!

Hi biskits,

You sound as angry as I am. I decided to channel my anger into action.
                            That is why I have posted my story on as many travel forums as I possibly can, and plan to continue to do so, until I receive a full refund of my earnest money down payment. I am trying to find a local news station and newspaper, who will take up my campaign against salesmen, like Mr. Fernando Lobato, Boutique Resort La Jolla, Mazatlan, Mexico. What if we could form a group? A group to fight back against Boutique Resort La Jolla.

Through my blogs, I have met several people, just like you and I who have been defrauded by Boutique Resort La Jolla. We are angry, because no one cares, but us, or knows how it feels to be cheated out of our hard earned money. I wrote my Congressman, Senator, Attorney General Offices of both Maryland and Delaware, all to no avail. I bet there are enough victims of Mr. Lobato out there, to start a class action lawsuit. I read somewhere, that
                            a group of timeshare owners recently won a successful lawsuit against a large Mexican resort organization. There is power in numbers. I would be more
                            than willing to get the ball started!

Comment

PJ
                              I was duped by Fernando when he worked for El Cid Marina selling Fairfield points.
                              As much as I dispise Fernando for telling blatent lies concerning Fairfield program, I have to take responsibility for entering into the contract without doing my own due diligence. I so wish I had found TS4MS BEFORE that trip to Mexico. But the reality is that I didnt. With the help of those on this board, I have been able to make lemonade out of that lemon that I bought, and have had several wonderful vacations. Good luck with your case. I hope you get
                              your money back. And maybe by your posting your story here on TS4MS you will save some other future ts owner from the same plight.
                              Best wishes,
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X