Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you own when you buy a timeshare? Nothing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronparise View Post
    Thanks

I know it was a stretch to include my boat along with my household expenses, but I needed to get to $50000... and after all it is part of my lifestyle that has to be paid for no different than my vacations

There are a lot of reasons to not like timeshares but some made up crap about how the developers profit from mf, is not one of them
    Now if you want to go after the developers for selling $200,000 condos for $1,500,000 with deceptive, and unethical (I would say criminal) sales practices, Im all over that.
    Some of them do and certainly a few of them in Mexico or even here in the USA. Do a lot of research before you buy from a developer or even re-sale too.

Comment

I, too, agree, that what is wrong with timeshares, mostly, is the criminal conduct which gets passed off by the authorities as legitimate business. That is the way most owners get involved.

That, mostly, is what puts the sour taste in the mouths of the general public regarding timesharing.

RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
        I, too, agree, that what is wrong with timeshares, mostly, is the criminal conduct which gets passed off by the authorities as legitimate business. That is the way most owners get involved.

That, mostly, is what puts the sour taste in the mouths of the general public regarding timesharing.

the flip side is that those overpriced developer sales are what ends up on ebay after passing through the equally unethical, even criminal timeshare relief companies. and those dollar timeshares are what has fueled my little rental operation.. 52 one dollar timeshares are the equal of one $500,000 vacation condo on the beach, better because I make all my reservations in season

Comment

We bought our timeshare from the developer in 1999, after vacationing there for two years. Because we were fairly young and used it every single year, I figured it out and we more than made up for what we paid in terms of what it would have cost to just rent there from the resort (and even private owners) each year during prime summer season. Because we could see ourselves vacationing there every year with our only child, we bought. We wanted a specific unit in a newly built building with one of the best views at the resort. Top floor- corner- mountain sunsets, our own clubhouse and pool and gym for the complex separate from the rest of the resort, etc. At the time, we also liked the idea of exchanging our http://www.timeshareforums.com/forum...flmao.giffloat week (which came "attached" to the fixed week) for when our son was in school. Now we use that float week at the resort as well and only occasionally exchange it. Just acquired a free week last year at another resort- again- a prime summer week that is right after our other timeshare week, giving us two weeks in a row. Again- a top floor, corner unit with a decent view and privacy. Our son now lives 20 minutes away from that one so we get to visit him as it is in a different state from where we live. Both timeshares we can drive to and to and from each other. We also are scouting out that area for our future retirement. This resort allows day use of their facilities which is also a plus if we decide to move to that area someday. My son also can use the facilities as well if he wants to.

I like the security of knowing we have a vacation "home" to go to- just show up. No maintenance. Love the whole concept. The only thing I worry about is when the time comes to give it away and getting someone else to take over. But not at that point yet, Have many years of vacationing left in me! So this is what I OWN!

Comment

the flip side is that those overpriced developer sales are what ends up on ebay after passing through the equally unethical, even criminal timeshare relief companies.
            As I've told Ms. Bondi a time or two, it's the policies and conduct of what passes off as the legitimate timeshare industry that gave rise to unscrupulous resale companies. The resale companies just revictimize victims of the industry. They just take advantage of people who have been taken advantage of.

One unscrupulous segment gets punished and one unscrupulous segment does not.
            RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by mpumilia View Post
              The only thing I worry about is when the time comes to give it away and getting someone else to take over. But not at that point yet, Have many years of vacationing left in me! So this is what I OWN!
              That's the point of my comments in this thread, that for those who have not had to deal with that issue, timesharing may seem OK.

But, everyone will have to sooner or later, one way or another.

All you need to remember is that when the time comes, you're on your own.

Comment

If you dont like that approach lets just consider what a timeshare costs vs what it costs to rent comparable vacation rentals or a hotel
                This is the approach I take, and everytime I look into vacationing without a timeshare I am reminded what a good deal it is. On average I pay less than $100/night for a 2 or 3 BR timeshare (or a 5 BR, sometimes!), with a full kitchen, nice grounds, sometimes ocean front view, etc. and it's pretty effortless -- I find the unit I want with Bluegreen or RCI, make the reservation, done. I do research the specific resorts, but that's a separate process. For a while after 2008, I could find similar deals for non-Timeshare-owning friends, but selection was limited and it was pretty random. Those kinds of deals are rare now, at least through my old methods.

The only problem I have with owning a Timeshare is the concern of getting rid of it when you can no longer use it. With five kids, and numerous other friends in that generation (my church is prolific), that's not a big concern for me. We bought the thing for the cost of transfer fees, and we're fine with paying the transfer fees and giving it away when the time comes.

OTOH, I despise the Timeshare sales staff and would never buy one new, back in the day), in part because the purchase of a new one pays for the Timeshare staff. It's the salespeople that give Timeshares such a bad name, for good reason. I don't like how they prey on the weak, just for starts. But, as with all salespeople, if the buyer knows more than they do, they're not a big problem. As owners, we rarely deal with the salespeople, and the people we do deal with tend to be low key and pleasant.

Comment

That was pretty intriguing! Thanks a lot for sharing this thread! Since I like the topic, I'll be following it!
                  bigfrank
                  Administrator
                  Last edited by bigfrank; 09-21-2018, 09:36 AM. Reason: removed spam link

Comment

Working...
                  X