Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Passport Requirement...possible effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Passport Requirement...possible effect?

Effective Jan. 23, 2007, all customers traveling by air to/from the U.S. will be required to have a passport. Does everybody who has booked a flt overseas from Jan-Mar know this? I wonder how many will arrive at airport and not be able to fly. It would perhaps make this a good time to try for standby flights, because planes might have more seats empty than ususual. Bumps are perhaps unlikely during this time if there could be more no-shows than usual. Any thoughts?
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed and those who are cold and are not clothed."
    -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

I have always been required to have a passport to fly internationally...maybe I am misunderstanding your post.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom52 View Post
      I have always been required to have a passport to fly internationally...maybe I am misunderstanding your post.
      Carol is talking about the new caribbean/mexico requirement; until now a photo id/birth certificate was enough for travel to/from the US.

I think it's been pretty well published, though, I haven't been able to book anything for the last year without being alerted to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom52 View Post
        Passports have not previously been required for travel to Canada and Mexico.
        “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

Will now be required to fly from and to USA from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Before you could do it with a pictured government ID and raised sealed birth certificate.

Comment

Yep, I should have been clearer, saying Mex, Cnd and Carib instead of the word I used "overseas". Anyway, I'm going to be looking for standby opportunities and possible sales to those destinations in Feb, just in case they do end up with empty seats. Ya never know!
            "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed and those who are cold and are not clothed."
            -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

There is huge concern here about the impact on tourism, not so much this year, but next when you'll need a passport to come over the border in your car. I believe that border cities/states in the U.S. are also concerned, although proportionately, more Canadians have passports than Americans.

Bev

Comment

Originally posted by bevvy5 View Post
                There is huge concern here about the impact on tourism, not so much this year, but next when you'll need a passport to come over the border in your car. I believe that border cities/states in the U.S. are also concerned, although proportionately, more Canadians have passports than Americans.

Bev
                Bev,

I just got back from Mazatlan, which is always struggling for a bit of the Mexican tourist market. Folks there are also worried about the new passports, and the expense of them. At 90+ bucks a pop for US citizens, a family of four would have to budget way more than they normally do. And in the "real world" (not the world of timeshare addicts like us), many families would only go to Mexico once in a lifetime. Thus they might not want to consider a trip to someplace like Mexico, or the Caribbean, due to that added expense of passports for an entire family. It will be interesting to follow those kinds of impact on tourism.

Carol
                -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Fake papers or no papers.

It is a lot easier to fake a birth certificate and ID than a passport. Could there be folks who will not be able to travel because they cannot get a passport?

I have a client who is 80 and he has a passport but he got his several years ago and just renews it. He said he was born at home and the place in Miss. that had his birth certificate burned down.

Old folks are a big part of the cruise users, and when they do not allow them to get off the ship this will be a big problem.

Some folks might be illegals and other just might not have access to the needed info or not want to bother.

Short

Comment

I don't think it will effect Air Travel, it really is not that much in comparison to what people are spending to travel.

But I do think it will effect the driving travelers. I live in Michigan, and alot of people would drive to Canada (3 hours or less). Now, no passport, no Canada.

Comment

effect

I think it's already having an effect, and that's why they keep putting off the date for requiring it for sea and land travel. You take a bargain cruise and tack on $110 per person, that 3 day cruise to nassau starts to look like less of a deal. Tijuana will really be affected.

Garrick

Comment

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Just so the sea/land part is accurate, that's January 1, 2008

FWIW, I bought my first passport back when I was making 10 bucks an hour and it was about 65.00 with the pictures. IMO, folks who are sweating a passport shouldn't be traveling internationally if their budget is that close to breaking. Even one good deal or coupon could easily pay for the whole family's passports.

I like a passport because it's accepted as ID everywhere I want to go and no one examining it knows where I live and any more than the most essential personal information.

Effect? More supply, less demand, cheaper vacations for me

Pat

Comment

When I travel, I use my passport for ID as much as I can. I keep it in a pocket in a travel case that always goes with me, so it's there and it's easier to get to than my drivers license. I also think using a passport is a bit more secure against identiity theft than is a drivers license.

A passport is also a great backup ID. My son lost his wallet a couple of years ago. Having a passport made it a snap to get a replacement drivers license issued, because we didn't go through the work again of proving that he was who he claimed to be.
                          “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

Yup but what about the family visiting Buffalo NY who'd like to see Niagra Falls from the bottom, oh sorry not without a passport. Crossing the canadian border's going to be "international travel" even if it's only for a few hours.

Garrick

Originally posted by camachinist View Post
                            http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Just so the sea/land part is accurate, that's January 1, 2008

FWIW, I bought my first passport back when I was making 10 bucks an hour and it was about 65.00 with the pictures. IMO, folks who are sweating a passport shouldn't be traveling internationally if their budget is that close to breaking. Even one good deal or coupon could easily pay for the whole family's passports.

Pat

Comment

Helluva lot cheaper for them to get to Niagra Falls than me...

Sorry, there's just no justification IMO. If you wanna travel you gotta play by the government's rules. We've had it pretty easy, IMO. I've gone through heck getting visitor visa's/sponsorship letters for the FSU and paying good money for visa's to Africa. That's in addition to the passport. I'm just a working stiff who likes to travel, likely no different than that family going to Niagra Falls.

If you want it bad enough, you do what you have to..

Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X