Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many countries have you driven a car in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many countries have you driven a car in?

How many countries (or overseas territories) have you driven a car in? Did you ever have to get an international drivers license? Have you ever gotten stopped by the police abroad? Which did you deem the best / worst to drive in?

For me - 34
    (UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Andorra, Spain, Monaco, Italy, Switzerland, Malta, Germany, Poland, Liechtenstein, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Moldova, Bulgaria, Greece, Canary Islands, Canada, Mexico, South Africa, Botswana, Swaziland, Barbados, Cayman Islands, Guadeloupe, Sint Maarten, St. Kitts, Puerto Rico) (if I included scooters, I would add Bahamas, Bermuda, Saba)

I have never had to get an international drivers license, although St. Kitts and Barbados required me to get a temporary 6 month local drivers license.

I had one trip where I was constantly being stopped by police but never got a ticket. I was driving a rental car with German plates through what was once called the Suedetenland in the Czech Republic.. I guess Driving while German was a problem there, but once they saw my US passport, everything was okay.

Worst country to drive in - Greece, runner up - Malta.
    Best country to drive in - photo finish between Switzerland, Germany, and Austria

Driven in Greece, Italy, Germany, Austria. Canada, Mexico, Aruba, Bermuda. I had gotten an international driver's license for Europe, In Italy, I was stopped at a checkpoint where they stopped cars to check papers. It did not look like they even knew what they were looking at when I gave them the driver's license.
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Only 3 I can remember.

Does a horse driven carriage count, where the horse was the only one who knew where we were going ?
      tonyg
      Goomba & Super Moderator
      Last edited by tonyg; 09-17-2021, 07:49 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
        Only 3 I can remember.

Does a horse driven carriage count, where the horse was the only one who knew where we were going ?
        Don

Comment

Well, 3-4 I think. The most extreme places to drive were Cyprus and Turkey. Cyprus because of its right-side driving, which was very uncomfortable for me, and turkey because of crazy Turkish drivers, who don't follow any rules. The easiest place was Maui. We stopped with family at Maui Luxury Vacation Rentals and rented a car. Driving on Maui can be intimidating at first, especially for visitors used to a faster pace at home. Generally, speeds don't exceed 55 miles per hour on Maui, and most of the roads vary between 25 mph and 45 mph. But I did not have to drive very often, the place where we stopped was adorable. So I didn't want to leave, we had everything at our rentals.
          Antafinyb
          Last edited by Antafinyb; 05-03-2022, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X