Best fast food burger chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best fast food burger chains

Fast food burgers are something I rarely eat unless travelling, and then fast food burger chains are a common pit stop for me. I am curious how others rate the burger chains. For myself, I look at cooking method (chargrilled versus fried), general taste, burger thickness (one large pattie versus 2 stacked on top of each other), and condiments offered.

My personal ranking of burger chains is as follows:

#1 Cookout

Their burgers are all chargrilled, and in my opinion have the best taste of the chargrilled burgers. They have an offering of either a thin pattie or a larger burger with a think pattie. Then there is a monster burger with one of each. The condiments offered on burgers include such southern favorites as chili and slaw.

Cookout is growing rapidly in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia, but I don't know if they have expanded elsewhere

#2 Hardees

The burgers are again all chargrilled, and second best tasting of the chargrilled burgers. Smaller burgers have the thin pattie and larger burgers the thick pattie. I think they were the first chain to start offering thick patties. Condiments are pretty standard

Hardees started in Greenville, North Carolina and expanded across much of the country decades ago.

#3 Burger King

Burgers are chargrilled, but only thin patties offered, Condiments are pretty standard

#4 Wendy's

Best tasting of the fried burgers. Condiments are pretty standard

#5 McDonald's

Big Mac is one of the better fried burger options given its condiments

#6 5 Guys

Fired burgers with thin patties. Fair condiment selection for northern tastes but nothing extra for southerners. For an establishment that sells hotdogs too, it is odd that slaw and chili - pretty standare for hotdogs - are not availible.

I am surprised in out burger did not make your list only had it once since it is in the west coast and I am in the east. Wait White Castle did not make your list? No belly bombers for you
    Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

No cookout or Hardee's hereabouts, so Burger King tops my list from your list. Burger King varies fro restaurant to restaurant and day to day, so you can't be guaranteed a great burger. Maine has a chain called Governor's that makes a great hamburger and offer them on Monday specials for $4 or $5 served with french fries. Cole slaw can be added for $1. I always look for that special on my June and September trips to Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank View Post
        I am surprised in out burger did not make your list only had it once since it is in the west coast and I am in the east. Wait White Castle did not make your list? No belly bombers for you
        I am not familiar with White Castle or in out Burger. We do not have them, and I have not seen any in my travels. I have heard of a chain called Carls, Jr. but I have seen one or eaten there.

Comment

#1 Cookout - I've seen them on my drives through the Carolinas, but have not been. My stepfather said they are decent though.

#2 Hardees - we had quite a few here in Illinois, and then they all closed. We've gotten one or two back, and I enjoy the sourdough melt

#3 Burger King, #4 Wendy's, #5 McDonald's - I agree with your sentiments here. The big mac is the only burger at McDonald's that I can still eat. The quarter pounder with cheese was my favorite growing up, but now it makes my stomach upset.

#6 5 Guys - I ate at one over the weekend for the first time. The burger was OK, as were the fries, but I don't see why people make a big deal about the place.

I would personally put Culver's as my favorite.
          Scott

Comment

There is a new chain called smash burger they use a ball of fresh meat and yes it gets smashed flat.

IMO the best burgers are the ones you get at the local pubs, 100% fresh ground can not be beat
            Timeshareforums Shirts and Mugs on sale now! http://www.cafepress.com/ts4ms

Comment

Habit Burger for me. They may only be on West Coast though.

Comment

Whataburger in Texas

Comment

If I stop for a burger Red Robin is my first choice.

Comment

There is a new chain called smash burger they use a ball of fresh meat and yes it gets smashed flat.

IMO the best burgers are the ones you get at the local pubs, 100% fresh ground can not be beat
                    I am in total agreement!
                    M. Henley

Comment

They sound similar to Steak & Shake, whom I would put just behind Culver's in my personal ranking.
                      Scott

Comment

We have a Way Back Burger not to far away, but have yet to try it or hear what anyone thought of it.

They even have a Carolina burger on their menu and they are in North and South Carolina..

Comment

I pretty much don't frequent fast food burger places. In my opinion Red Robin is NOT a fast food chain (not that I eat there either). I agree that the best burgers are usually found in local places. The "best" burger place in Santa Fe, Santa Fe Bites, just closed. After 30 years the owners decided it was time to retire. But don't worry, I can still get a very good burger at many other places around.
                          Luanne

Comment

Hamurger is said to have first been served in 1900 at Louis Lunch in New Haven, CT. I ate one there once- pretty good & served between 2 pieces of toast.
                            Cheeseburger is said to have originated in Louisville, Kentucky at Kaelin's Restaurant in 1934- perhaps Melvin had one there. Pasadena also claims to have mad the first cheeseburger in 1926.

Comment

Tony the birth of the Burger can be debated. The Meche Brothers created a burger at the 1885 Erie county Fair

Comment

Working...
                              X