Time off or location first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time off or location first

Ok, similar question to one I have asked before regarding flight's or accommodations first (which seemed to come with a consensus of accommodations first).

When planning your vacation, do you get the time of work off first and then find a location that matches? Or do you find a location first you want and then get the time off (of course, only applicable to those still working)

We have to request leave during June to September and December to March. When I request leave during these periods, there is no guarantee that Karen and I will both get the dates we request. For the other 4 months of the year, I can go last minute.

Karen is somewhat what same however she actually has to have her entire year in advance (so 2013 will be requested in November). Her schedule has her work every 3rd Saturday, and when she does work Saturday, she alternates the Monday and Wednesday prior off (always working 5 days, unless there is a holiday)

This is good, because it allows us to take a 4/5 day vacations by just taking off a Tuesday / Wednesday and only using a couple vacation days. When the Monday is a holiday she would get the Tuesday off, and or we can take the Thursday / Friday for an extension. This can make things somewhat difficult for scheduling (especially when adding in friends or family)

I have a very elaborate spreadsheet for these purposes, and have always tried to plan around this but wonder if it is worth it?

I have to book my location first and hope i can get the time off, I work for a big company, but Paid Time off is managed individually by each supervisor....my supervisor has trouble keeping track when i request off more then two months in advance.....and with me booking next March, July and August now....that means i have about 12 months before i can put in a request for those times!

Its a bit of a pain in the ass, because by the time i get a response for my PTO requests, its too late to cancel any travel plans i've made...i'm still hoping i get approved for THIS July and August let alone next year!

Comment

In a lucky situation

We have to turn in our vacation requests by the end of February each year. Luckily the tow of us have the most time with the company and always get what we want. We usually book the timeshares first. Sometimes we get all but one or two weeks set up but then our mamager works with us (and us with her) for the other two weeks. Our mamager also owns a timeshare so she knows our situation. Oh, and having 42 years in and 38 years in does pay off.
      Bart
      I live to vacation and vacation to live.

Comment

I book first - I make my own schedule and am only required to work X hours per month.
        DH can pretty much get off whenever he wants with the except of July and that is not a month we travel.

So definitely TS first.
        Pat
        *** My Website ***

Comment

I usually request the time off first and then look for the good opportunities but lately I'm finding the opportunities and keeping fingers crossed that the job cooperates with my plans. It helps a little to have 26 years of seniority.

Comment

I first look for good vacation deals as if I can actually take off anytime I want from work. When I find a really cool vacation for a good price, I quickly verify with my manager that those dates are okay and then book it. The timing usually works out, but not always.

Comment

I'm on a school schedule and DH usually has to have vacation time put in by Jan. of each year. He's got 33 yrs seniority-so we don't worry so much about him. I am usually booking next year's vacation while I'm packing for this year's..and then fill in weekends or other trips around "the big one" I'm also accommodation's first. This year, I did sweat it out a bit as I started a different position within the school district that had a before school start time. I lucked out!! This year's summer vacation ends on Sunday and my start date is the following Monday. I guess that's how the regular folks do it

Comment

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post
                I book first - I make my own schedule and am only required to work X hours per month.
                Are you hiring?

Comment

Stuck going around a school schedule for a few years. I'd much rather just hop on a plane whenever there is a good airfare to somewhere like Hawaii. For now, we book our room and then find flights to get us there.

Comment

Nope
                    Pat
                    *** My Website ***

Comment

When planning your vacation, do you get the time of work off first and then find a location that matches? Or do you find a location first you want and then get the time off (of course, only applicable to those still working)
                      We generally limit our planning to times we know we can travel without missing work/school obligations.

Comment

I book first as well. My vacation time is very flexible, and we just let our managers know when we will be off -- no "requests" needed. Out of professional courtesy, we usually let them know a couple of weeks ahead of time if we are going to take a full week off.

Kurt

Comment

I haven't had to deal with schedules since 1995 as I have been retired and had my own business since then. We have been TS owners since 1988. However not much has changed regarding scheduling our vacations. It has always been location first. We first decide where we want to go and then pick the time to visit based on local weather at the destination. We then decide on what accommodations are best, be it TS or upscale hotel. If it is TS, then we make a request for the week. Prior to 1995, I would then tell my employer when we were going on vacation. Since then we just go. It has always worked.
                          John

Comment

Travel list must be prepared to help you get the most out of your trip by planning well and packing everything.

Comment

Lists? I think by now I know that I need undies, sunscreen and credit card. Short list.

Comment

Working...
                              X