Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever have a resort turn off the power at night? Costa del Sol did.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever have a resort turn off the power at night? Costa del Sol did.

FAKE NEWS per the resort this never happened.

I am staying at Costa del Sol in Lauderdale by the sea this week and they posted a notice on the elevators that
    they were shutting off the electricity on Wednesday night from midnight to 6am.

I approached the staff and asked them why they were doing this at night and their answer was that they were
    not doing it but it was FPL (Florida Power & Light) that was doing it.
    Talk about passing the buck.
    FPL does not turn off the power to a full building without notifying the association and coordinating it with them.
    I know because I am a condo President in my complex.
    Nothing like this happens without coordination and agreement.
    So this association arranged this with FPL regardless of what they say.

Now the problem with doing this at night aside from the obvious is that for me I use a CPAP and without electricity
    I would not be sleeping at all.
    Not to mention that it's mid August in FL where the temps at night are in the high 80's plus our humidity factor.
    And never mind that there are a lot of seniors here who could easily fall in the middle of the night in the dark.
    Plus 6 hours of food in the fridge may not survive the outage if it went longer and they didn't provide any extra ice.
    There are only two ice trays in each fridge.

I spoke to other exchangers in the hot tub, cause isn't that where you talk to other guests :big grin: and one of the l
    adies had an autistic daughter and was freaking out how she would handle that.
    She was on an RCI exchange and of course RCI knew nothing about this.
    I'm on an II exchange and it wasn't mentioned there either.
    I did book this a year out though.
    She ended up taking a hotel close by to avoid a problem with her daughter.
    Luckily this was just a stay cation for me and I only live an hour away (vietnam is an hour from Florida ?) so came home for the night.
    I guess I'll find out today and tomorrow what others ended up doing.

I asked the staff why they didn't rent an emergency generator for the night and they said that it wasn't in their budget.
    Mind you this is a full service (daily maid service) resort.
    Why they have daily maid service I haven't a clue cause it's overkill for sure.

I called II to see what they could do on their end. I know it's not their fault but I feel like doing a re-do of this vacation.
    I've lost more than just the 1 night since I had to bring my food home and now schlep it back again today.
    Talk about inconvenient (Florida to Vietnam and back would kill some time). Luckily I have one of those giant costco freezer bags and most of it fit.
    I've emailed the customer service with II about my displeasure.
    Hopefully they can lean on the resort a bit cause this certainly could have been done during daylight hours like noon to 6pm. :roll eyes:

Other than this huge inconvenience it's actually a nice little place.
    tonyg
    Goomba & Super Moderator
    Last edited by tonyg; 08-28-2018, 08:46 AM. Reason: call story false

Wow. I had one exchange where I was warned in advance that the water was going to be turned off for several hours during the day. I agree that an electricity shut off would have been better during the day. There should always be a back up plan for people with medical issues.
    Jacki

Comment

Wow is right, the OP must have lost some sleep going home that night all the way from Florida to Vietnam and back. Someone should check to see if the whole story is a lie.

Comment

I called the resort this morning and they say they have never turned the power off overnight.

Comment

Okay, not sure what is up with this but this was my thread a few years ago.
          I am the one who originally posted this.
          Not sure how he was able to take over my post as his own.
          So it seems we have been hacked. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyg View Post
            I called the resort this morning and they say they have never turned the power off overnight.
            They didn't turn it off, FPL did but they knew it was going to happen and didn't warn everyone.
            Lots of people had to go to hotels because of it. So the resort is either lying or had an employee
            that wasn't aware that it happened. I experienced this first hand and it did happen.

Comment

Apparently this was an attempt to sound credible by someone to gain acceptance for some purpose. I couldn't find your original post here or on google, so I don't know where it was found.

Comment

Working...
              X