Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Totally new to the whole Timeshare thing -- changing exchange companies (RCI to SFX)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally new to the whole Timeshare thing -- changing exchange companies (RCI to SFX)?

My parents have owned 3 timeshares for as long as I can remember, and they've done all their exchanges through RCI.
    I am new to this board and am learning about all the other exchange companies out there. It seems like two of their three resorts are also in SFX; I can't remember the name of their Hilton Head Island timeshare, so it might be as well and I just don't know it.

Is it possible to "switch" from being an RCI member to being an SFX member for our future, un-deposited weeks? It seems like SFX has timeshares in more places we actually visit, whereas RCI has no timeshares in some of those cities (SF, in particular).

This is all so new to me and kinda blowing my mind!
    Is there a benefits comparison thread to read about all the different companies? I don't even know about SFX or II or some of the others I'm just learning the names of...

TIA!!
    dvf_diva
    Last edited by dvf_diva; 09-15-2013, 10:25 PM.

They can join SFX whether they have a current RCI membership or not. It doesn't cost anything to join, unless they want the Platinum benefits.
    I use several exchange companies. RCI is my least favorite.

Comment

dvc_diva, there are several alternate exchange companies.
      SFX is just one of many.
      I've got a diamond account at SFX.
      They have rentals as low as $49 a week.

Some of the other exchange companies that are free to join besides SFX is Platinum Interchange, DAElive, Trading Places International and a few others that focus on their networks like VRIetyexchange.
      You lose nothing but joining the alternate exchange companies.
      I mostly use them for the bonus weeks cause $79 to $99 for a week in Orlando is cheaper than staying in a Motel 6 in Kissimmee when I run out of DVC points.

Comment

Interesting! May I know some of your favorite exchange companies?

I don't even know why my parents chose RCI. I think it "came with" whichever timeshare they bought first and they never looked to change it.

I will have to check out a few others.

I feel so lucky to have been introduced to this forum!

Comment

Originally posted by dvf_diva View Post
          Interesting! May I know some of your favorite exchange companies?

I don't even know why my parents chose RCI. I think it "came with" whichever timeshare they bought first and they never looked to change it.

I will have to check out a few others.

I feel so lucky to have been introduced to this forum!
          Nothing wrong with RCI. I belong to all of them.
          Some of us here belong to all of them too or most of them.

Most of the developers do deals with either RCI or II so that's how it starts.
          From there you can use some of the alternate exchange companies if you like their offerings.
          Most of them have much less inventory than the big two but most focus on a niche like SFX with San Francisco or Manhattan club.

When you purchase a Hilton HGVC ownership you get a free gold SFX account.
          I believe that Hilton has some sort of agreement with SFX although not sure what it is but I do see units in their rental lists at good prices sometimes.

This year I did an exchange with Platinum Interchange for next year to a beach front resort.
          I think it was good value. About $80 cheaper than doing the same exchange with RCI.

Comment

Your parents probably didn't choose. RCI and II are the 2 big exchange companies and timeshares are affiliated with either of those. Usually, if you have an RCI affiliated resort, you cannot exchange that resort in II and vice versa.

The independent exchange companies choose what they want to accept. Most will take anything, but SFX has requirements on quality of resorts and seasons. One reason I use them so much is because I trust them to not give me a dump! Their prices are lower than RCI, too.

I've also used Platinum Interchange. I believe they will accept any resort. They are also a management company, so most of their inventory is for specific resorts.

The other place I use is Grand Pacific Exchange, but you have to own one of their resorts to be a member there.

If you own DVC, you could find owners in other systems that will do direct exchanges with you. Then, you don't have to pay any exchange fees.

Comment

Very interesting -- thank you.

I've got to get more of my brain working to remember all this new info I am learning by the second!

Comment

No one has mentioned Trading Places, Dial an Exchange and Hawaii Timeshare Exchange yet so I will throw them out there as options, too.

Comment

Originally posted by chriskre View Post
                  Nothing wrong with RCI. I belong to all of them.
                  Some of us here belong to all of them too or most of them.

Most of the developers do deals with either RCI or II so that's how it starts.
                  From there you can use some of the alternate exchange companies if you like their offerings.
                  Most of them have much less inventory than the big two but most focus on a niche like SFX with San Francisco or Manhattan club.

When you purchase a Hilton HGVC ownership you get a free gold SFX account.
                  I believe that Hilton has some sort of agreement with SFX although not sure what it is but I do see units in their rental lists at good prices sometimes.

This year I did an exchange with Platinum Interchange for next year to a beach front resort.
                  I think it was good value. About $80 cheaper than doing the same exchange with RCI.
                  Is that true? I'm a HGVC owner for over 10 years and haven't heard anything from them about SFX membership. I've looked into it personally myself, and am still confused by how they operate with a company like HGVC, but had no idea that they have some sort of arrangement where you get a free Gold membership.

Comment

Actually I just went to the SFX website, and it appears that the Gold Account is free for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by johnf0614 View Post
                      Actually I just went to the SFX website, and it appears that the Gold Account is free for anyone.
                      That's correct.

Comment

And then the 90-day free trial for Platinum, don't forget, if you've not been on SFX before.

Comment

Originally posted by johnf0614 View Post
                          Is that true? I'm a HGVC owner for over 10 years and haven't heard anything from them about SFX membership. I've looked into it personally myself, and am still confused by how they operate with a company like HGVC, but had no idea that they have some sort of arrangement where you get a free Gold membership.
                          HGVC has been affiliated with SFX for several years. I did several exchanges into HGVC/Flamingo with SFX and received owner's benefits. I have also exchanged with SFX into HGVC West 57th St. in NYC and Hilton Vacation Club on 6th Ave in NYC.
                          John

Comment

I have used SFX exclusively for the last 16 years. Prior to that, I was with both RCI and II. I canceled RCI because they lied to me and were very rude when I caught them at it. I had no trouble with II other than they couldn't get what I wanted and SFX could and did. II did put me into a dump in Florida but they refunded my week when I complained about it.

I have done several exchanges with SFX to Mexico, New York City, Las Vegas, Hawaii, Scottsdale and Sedona AZ, etc. I also belong to DAE but have never used them as they don't have the quality of resorts I want where I want to go.

SFX also offers a lot of extra benefits and doesn't have a lot of the restrictions like the 1 in 4/5 RCI rule or bulk space banking. You also don't have to pay a lot of the resort fees that RCI exchangers often have to.
                            John

Comment

I think I will give them (SFX) a try!

Comment

Working...
                              X