No announcement yet.

Tipping at timeshares - what do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping at timeshares - what do you do?

It's been a while since I've seen this discussed and I thought I'd get an update. A few scenarios, please share your practices for each that you've encountered:

1. Timeshare stay with daily housekeeping
    2. Timeshare stay with no housekeeping
    3. Timeshare stay with midweek tidy
    4. Calling for maintenance/housekeeping to come to the unit to deliver or fix things

I'll go first, though I fear I may be cheap (part of the reason for this thread):

1. $10/day for full service including bed linen changes, kitchen cleaning, etc, $40-50/week for less intense daily tidy
    2. $20
    3. $20 -$30 depending on what's in my wallet
    4. This depends on the task. I recently tried to tip a maintenance guy $10 after he spent a half hour fixing a broken ceiling fan, and he tried hard not to accept it but eventually did. I don't think they get tipped very often. I know some people feel that it's the resorts responsibility to keep the units in working order - I don't disagree but he did a great job and went above and beyond what most would have done. I don't tip for things that should be in the unit but are missing, or things that need to be replaced because they are broken or gross. I usually slip a few bucks to people who deliver extra pillows/blankets/etc.
    Glitter Brunello
    Super Moderator
    Last edited by Glitter Brunello; 07-24-2013, 01:30 PM.

Okay, we're really cheap. We don't tip at all for the cleaning.
    Luanne

Comment

I tip when we are in Mexico. In the US, no.
      “Maybe you shouldn't dress like that.”

“This is a blouse and skirt. I don't know what you're talking about.”

“You shouldn't wear that body.”

Comment

Wow Avery. You are not cheap at all. Maybe I am?

I do about $5 a day in Mexico. Maybe $10 at checkout.

At a resort with no housekeeping at all, I leave $5 on my way out.

With a mid-week housekeeping, I will leave $5 to $10. I will give it to the housekeeper personally if I'm there when they come by.

At FSA, they came by daily (nice toiletries!), and I think we left $40-50ish at the end of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by catwgirl View Post
          Wow Avery. You are not cheap at all. Maybe I am?

I do about $5 a day in Mexico. Maybe $10 at checkout.

At a resort with no housekeeping at all, I leave $5 on my way out.

With a mid-week housekeeping, I will leave $5 to $10. I will give it to the housekeeper personally if I'm there when they come by.

At FSA, they came by daily (nice toiletries!), and I think we left $40-50ish at the end of the week.
          I am going to correct my initial post - the $10/day is for full daily housekeeping. I used to do that at the Manhattan Club before they instituted the outrageous 'hospitality fee' that ostensibly includes housekeeping. So I started leaving a lot less there after that, even though I felt bad because the policy hurt the staff.

Comment

1. Timeshare stay with daily housekeeping
            2. Timeshare stay with no housekeeping
            3. Timeshare stay with midweek tidy
            4. Calling for maintenance/housekeeping to come to the unit to deliver or fix things

1. Rarely if ever have daily housekeeping. Like Troggy, in Mexico, yes, $5 unless I make an actual mess. next mx trip with be twice daily hk. Likely coupla bucks each time unless I leave an actual mess.
            2. 0
            3. have never had, likely $5
            4. Maint, unlikely, unless Over and Above (2 am, friendly, fast, whatever). Bringing stuff that should have been there, probably no tip, bringing something extra, a couple bucks.

Comment

I never did. Take it out of the overpriced maint. fees.

Comment

The most recent article I can find on hotel tipping is from 2009. Allowing for inflation and the fact that the rates are based on hotel rooms, I don't think I'm overtipping, but I surely won't feel guilty. I think that having to clean units with kitchens and often two bathrooms/bedrooms warrants a decent step-up. If anyone finds more recent advice, please share. I also live in NYC, so am accustomed to inflated prices for everything.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/trave...ing17_ST_N.htm

Comment

I tip $5 a day for daily housekeeping in a timeshare which I have yet to encounter except in Europe, Mexico & Manhattan Club.
                  In my mid week cleanings I tip $20.
                  I tip $1 per bag when they bring up my stuff to the room or at least $5 if less than 5 bags.
                  Usually we have about 10 bags of stuff when coming in the car.
                  No tip for stuff missing or broken in the unit.
                  $3 for stuff I want extra like extra toilet paper or soap.

Comment

I also generally leave the place pretty darn clean. I load the dishwasher and start it. Obviously, they have to vacuum, change linens, etc. But I never leave a big mess for them.

Comment

I also generally leave the place pretty darn clean. I load the dishwasher and start it. Obviously, they have to vacuum, change linens, etc. But I never leave a big mess for them.
                      That goes a long way and I agree that tipping is not in lieu of being a considerate guest. I load the dishwasher but don't start it. If we're rushing I may leave a few things in the sink. I don't clean out the fridge too well because I hate throwing away food and like to think that maybe someone will be able to use it, though in reality I'm sure most of it gets ditched. I do take out the garbage (if we are in a place that has dumpsters outside).

Comment

For daily service, I normally tip between $5 & $10 a day, depending on the circumstances, and size of unit. For mid week, I usually tip $20 - $25. If ever I call for extra towels, soap, etc., I give $5 & $2 - $3 each time for valet parking.
                        Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

Lol. Me too! I leave the place in excellent condition. I'm always cleaning something, even on vacation.

Angela

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

BTW, I'm still keeping track of how many times you annoy me.

Comment

When we are staying two (2) consective weeks; our housekeeper who clean our villas during that second week always keep no less than a $20.00 bill and maybe more. A big smile and a good attittude will keep you more in tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Glitter Brunello View Post
                              That goes a long way and I agree that tipping is not in lieu of being a considerate guest. I load the dishwasher but don't start it. If we're rushing I may leave a few things in the sink. I don't clean out the fridge too well because I hate throwing away food and like to think that maybe someone will be able to use it, though in reality I'm sure most of it gets ditched. I do take out the garbage (if we are in a place that has dumpsters outside).
                              I always start the dishwasher, never anything in the sink, garbage taken out, sheets and towels piled.

I also have never left a big mess. I have used the vacuum or broom when I break something or we track in dirt or sand.

Fridge - depends on what is left. One time we had a lot of milk, eggs and bread left and saw a family checking in - asked if they wanted them and they did. I felt better about that than either pitching them or hoping someone would use them.

Comment

Working...
                              X