Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canalboats - exchange company recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canalboats - exchange company recommendations?

Hi

we're a first time exchanger and we're hoping to book a canal / narrow boat in Ireland, England or Europe in 2008. I'll have an SFX acceptable 2008 Club Regina PV as deposit.

Does anyone have inputs on who we should use for the exchange? (We are not associated with any at this time)

The companies we are looking at are
    • SFX
    • DAE
    • Platinum
    • Timex

Thanks !

DAE and canalboats

For a UK canalboat, your best bet is DAE. They can generally get canalboats through their trading partner Club La Costa, which bought a large block of Canaltime weeks wholesale a few years ago. I used DAE for a canal boat exchange last summer. You need to do a request for these, as trading partner inventory does not appear online on the DAE availibiity list.

Comment

Thanks Carolinian!

Comment

Carolinian,

How did you like the canal boat experience? I often thought it would be fun.
        Mike H
        Wyndham Fairshare Plus Owners, Be cool and join the Wyndham/FairfieldHOA forum!

Comment

I've done it twice. Great experience!

Comment

What time of the year did you do your canal boat trips?

Comment

Parking Availability for UK Canal Boats

I have noticed good availability for UK canal boats and have seen some on the narrow canals in England. Looks like greatviews of the contryside; however, at about 4 MPH, the trip is slow. My concern is where to park the car near the debarcation point and the associated fees. Also, any info on average fuel cost for the week? I would have only 2 passengers.

Tom

Comment

My canal boat trips were in July and September.

Comment

Was it hard to do the navigation, etc.? Did you feel like you enough "training" your first time? Can you tell us a little about the roominess/size of the interiors? How many people would be comfortable?

Thanks Carolinian.
                  Mike H
                  Wyndham Fairshare Plus Owners, Be cool and join the Wyndham/FairfieldHOA forum!

Comment

The navigation was not hard once you got used to it. I had owned speedboats and a cabin cruiser that steered with a wheel, so it took a bit to get the hang of steering with a tiller, but not too long. Operating the locks on the canal was a bit intimidating the first time or two, but that was also something that one quickly got the hang of. The training was adequate. The interiors are a bit compact, with limited luggage space. We had a boat for 4, but was comfortable enough for 2. Four adults might have been a bit much.

Originally posted by mshatty View Post
                    Was it hard to do the navigation, etc.? Did you feel like you enough "training" your first time? Can you tell us a little about the roominess/size of the interiors? How many people would be comfortable?

Thanks Carolinian.

Comment

Originally posted by mshatty View Post
                      Can you tell us a little about the roominess/size of the interiors? How many people would be comfortable?

Thanks Carolinian.
                      If you need 2 bedrooms get one with 3. There is very limited storage space so you can leave suitcases etc in the 3rd bedroom. The shape of the boat, they are called narrow boats for a good reason , dictates that they are 'snug' inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Keitht View Post
                        If you need 2 bedrooms get one with 3. There is very limited storage space so you can leave suitcases etc in the 3rd bedroom. The shape of the boat, they are called narrow boats for a good reason , dictates that they are 'snug' inside.
                        Whenever I've been on a canalboat we've unpacked and put the suitcases back in the car which is parked at the marina - same with shopping, unpack everything and then ditch the boxes, etc. Pack light and forget glamour!

Comment

I'm interested in this topic also.

How about the physical aspects, would anticipate when do we would be healthy 60 yr old man and wife only.
                          Mark B.

Comment

Physically you should be fine - it's harder work with only two because one person has to open the locks. If it's a double-gate lock then you have to open one side, walk down the lock, cross over, walk back and open the other side. You may find that if your wife isn't very strong she might not be able to turn the lock key - I've had problems a few times! One solution is to use the Oxford canal, they have single gate locks There's a downside to the Oxford though - they also have lift bridges. You have to pull on a chain to lift the bridge for the boat to go under, then lower it afterwards. I found a few times that I was dangling on the end of the chain and the bridge wasn't moving - but I'm quite light (8.5 stone), my husband never had any problem.

Great holiday, don't let any of this put you off it's all good fun.

Comment

Is anyone looking at getting out of their timeshare week with canaltime? I can show you how.

Comment

Working...
                              X