1 in 4 or 1 in 3 resort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 in 4 or 1 in 3 resort

Has anyone ever shown up and been turned away at the resort due to this rule?

I thought it was RCIs rule rather than the resorts.
    Jacki

Comment

This discussion has been going on for as long as the rule has been around . . . maybe 20 years.

You can call it an RCI rule because RCI makes it available, but it is the resort(s) that implement and decide whether to enforce it.

http://www.timeshareforums.com/forum...=holiday+hills

Post 59, and others
      RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

Originally posted by grest View Post
        Has anyone ever shown up and been turned away at the resort due to this rule?
        Yes, on another forum, many years ago.
        RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Comment

RCI tells me that it is the resort's decision...

Comment

Once again, again, again . . . in 1999 we had been trading into Apple Valley Resort in Ohio the same last week of July for several years, to do business with the Longaberger ladies. When I went to confirm 1999, I had to call a VC, and she said we could not because they had a 1-in-4 rule. I asked her to look at our trading history. She did and said, "If I can confirm it, you can have it." She was able to.

Then, after confirming it, RCI called to say they had canceled it. RCI and I went back and forth for a few days, to the point where one of their supervisors said, "We have a legal department for people like you."

A bit of maneuvering, and we booked it through a friend of ours whose mother lives in Dresden, OH, we wound up "setting up" in her front yard, and those people are still good friends today.

Fast forward to 2004, and I told this story on another forum. I got a PM from an RCI person whose buddy was the one who canceled our 1999 AV exchange, and we became close Internet buddies, my Inside Guy. Not long after that, when stuff became unavailable in SW FL in January, Inside Guy suggested a little Mom and Pop resort on the beach a tad further north (26 miles north of Sanibel as the pelican flies). He said his parents own there.

So, we traded into it for two weeks every January, for several years.

Then, in 2011, at the peak of the bottom of the SWFL foreclosure crisis, we bought a house there (here), and are residents.

Then, in 2016, we bought a week at that resort, for year-round beach parking/access, swimming pool, hot tub, BBQ Grills.

So, you never know where the 1-in-4 may lead.

(& Apple Valley Resort has folded!)

Comment

For the clicking-impaired, here's my current story. It starts 28 years ago.

Our first tour was in 1989 at OLCC, and OLCC became a common topic with us. Exchanging in, touring a couple more times, extended family Christmases, visiting with Aussies on Holiday, Internet sparring with pretentious owners, etc.

Fast forward 23 years.

In 2012, I started getting stuff for my Cousin Brian when he wanted to bring his family to Branson. It seems it was always at Holiday Hills, a HUGE Silverleaf resort. He's a high school teacher and late last Fall he asked if I could get him 4, two-bedroom condos for the week between Christmas and New Year's, for a group of students and parents for a conference in Branson.

That's a peak week in Branson, but that appeared to be do-able at Holiday Hills (and only Holiday Hills), and I mentioned the $149 5-Year Guest Pass, so that he would not have to pay the $69 per unit Guest Certificate Fee any more. We did a little back and forth with RCI, and got that done, and he got the 4 condos for $299/week each.

Hold on, I'm just about to the 1-in-4 part.

Because I know he likes to take his family to Branson, I let him know when the deep-discounts are running, so I check often. Recently when I checked for exchange availability, it said I could not get anything because of the 1-in-3 rule, and "I" had been there. When I checked for EVs and LCs, I could choose from more than 1600 units in my travel window.

Holiday Inn Club Vacations/OLCC had bought Silverleaf, and they had put the rule in since I had last booked for my Cousin. So, I found myself talking to OLCC, just like the old days. The young lady who called was not familiar with their trading restriction and, at first, said it applied to everything available through RCI. I asked her to check to confirm that, explained that I could see more than 1600 EVs and LCs, and when she called back she said it was just for exchanges.

The same answer it has always been. & it was the resort implementing it, the same as it has always been.

Oh yeah, and an acquaintance of mine, the brother of a friend at my Branson golf course, and the son of a Branson friend who is also a Florida resident down here in this area, is the Golf Pro at Holiday Hills.

small world

Comment

Related, but not, in the early 90's II had an Orlando are trading restriction, so that you could not use an Orlando area resort to trade into another Orlando area resort. They did not want people to trade up in the same area, something we did through RCI. Actually, it was more about trading time of year, for us, as we were not picky picky like some, trying to get better than we gave.

Our original weeks were in Orlando, but in 1992 we added a Colorado resort.

I took the trading restriction up with II, and they changed their Orlando area restrictions to allow it if you also owned elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                  1999 . . . and those people are still good friends today.
                  They arrived yesterday for a bit of a visit. I don't know why they would rather be in SWFL than Northern Indiana right now.

Comment

Less lead in the water ?

Comment

Speaking of timeshares, they are totally done with theirs, too. She said their maintenance fee is just too much, $700, so it's not a deal any more. They bought at Fairfield in Orlando last century, and she claims Wyndham is taking it back. She said they said she will get the paperwork in 8 to 10 weeks.

She also said a friend of theirs did it, and Wyndham gave them some money, too.

Yeah, right.

Comment

Working...
                      X