Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looked for but could not find.

Hi guys/gals,

what is the rule of thumb value for buying RCI points? for selling? thanks...

Originally posted by ruidosotimeshare
    Hi guys/gals,

Must be pretty quiet. 24 hours and no response. What do you mean by rule of thumb value? There are a lot of variables and they are changing all the time. The purchase price of the points will depend on the MF. If your points have a MF less than $0.01 per point you will be able to get a decent price for them, less than $0.008 a very good price. If the MF is greater than $0.015 - $0.02 per point I'd be surprised if you could give them away. But like I said, everything changes. What is true today will NOT be true in 2009.

Comment

deeded wk

So i paid 2.5k for a deeded wk at ruidoso tied to 59000 points and the mf is 420 which comes out to .007 per point. Is that not good? I'm trying to find out how bad I was screwed... It doesn't seem that bad.

Comment

I did not study RCI point enough so does not want to say anything to misled you.

There is a 3 year lease program by the member. I will first compare the data with that lease program to determine if it is good or bad.

I believe the value of the purchase is determined by how you using them, or planning to use them.

Based on that I will consider what is the deeded week as very important when doing all the consideration. That is the week you will get for sure. And that is the week you can rent out for sure. And this is the week that will not change. In here, MF is not as important as what you will get and what will it cost you to get the same week

2nd, is the cost you will be when you doing majority of your exchanges. At certain point, RCI exchange cost will take over and dominate the MF.

3rd is the cost to you when you using the point to all other program support by RCI point partnership, which is like car, airplane, hotel, amusement park. The more you can use the point without feeling you are better paying cash for that the better. At certain point, RCI charges, the inconvience will start showing effect, but in here, MF is still dominate.

Remember, 2 and 3 is all controlled by RCI.

Personally, if it is deed program, I will consider #1 the factor that count as 70% of decision factor since there is also a leasing program available.

As to if you pay too much or get a good bargin, with your MF range, I would not think you be too bad. But MF can change, and if there is a SA or MF is lower because resort is not function at all will affect all your calculations.

Jya-Ning
        Jya-Ning

Comment

Hi guys/gals,
          Since RCI points are all alike (apart from the home resort reservation preference) it comes down to maintenance cost (and the possibility of future increases), real estate tax where applicable, risk of special assessment, and the possibility you'll want to resell in the future.

So you can find high-maintenance points properties for almost no money, and low-maintenance points properties for higher prices.

And if you're brave you can buy an RCI Weeks property in a non-Points resort and use it for points-for-deposit (although that plan is subject to cancellation by RCI and would be dead-for-you if the underlying property starts participating in Points).

Sounds like you did fine. My best RCI points deal was a points-for-deposit-eligible weeks property that I bought for less than 2 cents per point (including closing cost) that charges 1 cent/point for maintenance.

Comment

So i paid 2.5k for a deeded wk at ruidoso tied to 59000 points and the mf is 420 which comes out to .007 per point. Is that not good? I'm trying to find out how bad I was screwed... It doesn't seem that bad.
            You did fine. The MF / points ratio is good. On the purchase price, the rule of thumb has traditionally been in the .03 - .06 / point range. You're in the middle of that.

The other nice thing to have is a resort that is part of a larger resort family that allows you to book other resorts during that 10-11 month home resort group period. While not required, it's a nice plus if some decent resorts exist with that family.

Comment

thanks.

i feel much better now.

Comment

I don't think you could do any better on ebay. But if you are still unsure, out of the goodness of my heart, I'd take it off your hands.

Comment

Working...
                X