Shell Vacation Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell Vacation Club

Just wondering if there were any other SVC members out there?

Would definately be interested in meeting others who are in this club as I am hopefully going to be visiting a couple more of their resorts soon.

SVC Member Here...

We are interested to know about your experiences. We were a little disheartened to hear that they were going to end the RCI and switch to Interval International. What do you think?

Comment

I have mixed feelings, as I was never really able to take full advantage of it. There were times where it was better overall compared to my BG points packages. I am looking forward to seeing how they implement the II stuff and will be able to better judge then. If you only have one exchange company though I can see this being to your disadvantage. However the ability to compare rates across companies was also an advantage. It really is to soon and to hard to tell how this will impact things.

Originally posted by snakelegs
      We are interested to know about your experiences. We were a little disheartened to hear that they were going to end the RCI and switch to Interval International. What do you think?

Comment

I am a recent SVC points member since June this year. We have stayed once at Carriage hills in Ontario. It was nice and close to home.

Regards

Moe

Comment

Update on switch from RCI to Interval

So, I just got some more recent information and a little dissapointed in some of the changes. Although the point values have stayed the same based on days of the week, I think the overall value has decreased.

The biggest change made was to the last minute stays. Previously called "Instant Exchange" it used 700 points and would allow you to stay in ANY SIZE accomodation. This was for any week booked within 30 days.

The new system "FlexChange" with II is less than 59 days, the point values are 50% of normal but still based on size. So no instead of being able to get a 2 bedroom last minute for $360 it will be closer to $750. Having checked some of the getaways, it is better to pay OOP then to use points.

Nightly stays are also going to be more expensive, and more difficult to obtain. Flat exhange rate of $119 (instead of sliding scale based on nights) so anywhere from $30 to $70 more.

All I can say that is good about this is at least it gives me some more options!

Comment

Also note that the number of points depends on the TDI so 2 bdrms will range from 3000-4500 (1500-2250 for flex)

Comment

Why does it seem that any "enhancement" lately is not in the consumers favor?
              Pat
              *** My Website ***

Comment

The only ehancement I see is some different resorts the previously available.

Originally posted by GrayFal View Post
                Why does it seem that any "enhancement" lately is not in the consumers favor?

Comment

nice one. click here.

Comment

New SVC member here. I discovered this forum trying to locate info on how to convert remaining RCI points before the deadline December 31, 2011. We received an email to request the extension of the RCI points through December 31, 2012. SVC advised the email was an error. . . . such a bummer! Can't they be converted into gift cards or dining cards like SVC points?

I'm very discouraged by the exchange fees of Interval International in our member kit recently received. Our work schedules only allow for short 2 to 3 day stays. Paying $119 exchange fee for a 1 night stay is insane. I've posted elsewhere that the only way our timeshare investment is economical for us is to book with SVC resorts only from Sunday-Thursday during low demand. Otherwise it's cheaper to simply book with the resorts and eliminate the exchange fees. Nice to know there is a timeshare forum to vent sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy33
                      New SVC member here.................... Nice to know there is a timeshare forum to vent sometimes.
                      Hi Daisy,
                      Welcome to the forum.
                      I don't own Shell but we've all experienced "enhancements" that turn out to be a little unfriendly, so stick around, and collectively we'll figure out a way around the enhancements.

Comment

Thank you chriskre! For others who aren't SVC, the Puerto Vallarta resort is incredible, loved it!! All my other stays have been through RCI exchange. I recently booked the Legacy Golf Resort in Phoenix for a 3-day 2-night stay in May 2012. Check it out online, it looks awesome especially if you like golf. I don't but I love baseball and it's close to spring training camps. The Mon-Wed stay is only using 300 points of my 1750 annual allotment. I've only recently searched vacations using SVC's Point & Play and it is extremely easy and fun to check out all the 24 SVC resorts. Booking is a piece of cake and not having to pay the exchange fees is just glorious. I think I may just stick with SVC resorts from now on.

Comment

Daisy honestly I personally feel that using the mini systems within their respective systems is where you'll get the most value. Ocasionally for the high TPU ticket items in RCI are worth exchanging but I've found I mostly use my mini-systems within my mini and I'm much happier there. I guess you've discovered the same thing.

RCI has some great resorts but it may be worth purchasing a cheaper trader for those deals if you want to do them regularly.

Enjoy exploring those Shell resorts. If I live West I'd consider owning Shell as they do have lovely resorts.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy33
                            Thank you chriskre! For others who aren't SVC, the Puerto Vallarta resort is incredible, loved it!! All my other stays have been through RCI exchange. I recently booked the Legacy Golf Resort in Phoenix for a 3-day 2-night stay in May 2012. Check it out online, it looks awesome especially if you like golf. I don't but I love baseball and it's close to spring training camps. The Mon-Wed stay is only using 300 points of my 1750 annual allotment. I've only recently searched vacations using SVC's Point & Play and it is extremely easy and fun to check out all the 24 SVC resorts. Booking is a piece of cake and not having to pay the exchange fees is just glorious. I think I may just stick with SVC resorts from now on.

Daisy - Glad to hear the SVC property in Puerto Vallarta (Plaza Pelicanos) is nice. We wandered through there a few years ago but didn't get much of a feel for the place. Question: What were your impressions of P.V. ? My wife is uneasy about going back to Mexico in view of the narcotraficante problem.

You're probably right in planning to stay within the SVC system; I think for short stays you really don't have any other option. In general I think I'll like the I.I. switch but, yes, the transaction fee for short stays is ludicrous. But some SVC properties have very high points requirements, so it can make sense to trade into those. We have not been disappointed in ANY of the SVC sites, and they're very well represented in Hawaii (except Maui).

One thing you might consider is bank (or borrow) enough SVC points to book a week at an SVC resort, then deposit it with an outfit like SFX. Their people are extremely helpful, and they have some programs that give a very nice bang for the buck. Study their website first, and read through the SFX section on this site.

I hope you're not planning on watching any spring training in May. It'll be long gone by then, and my Rockies will probably be bottom-feeding already. We're headed down there (also to The Legacy) at the end of March; should be fun. Enjoy !!

--------Zach[/I][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Picker57 View Post

Question: What were your impressions of P.V. ? My wife is uneasy about going back to Mexico in view of the narcotraficante problem.

One thing you might consider is bank (or borrow) enough SVC points to book a week at an SVC resort, then deposit it with an outfit like SFX. Their people are extremely helpful, and they have some programs that give a very nice bang for the buck. Study their website first, and read through the SFX section on this site.

--------Zach[/I][/I]
                              We loved P.V. . . . the furnishings weren't very contemporary however we loved the 2-BR condo at the SVC resort which was very spacious with an ocean view. This was 6 years ago and the problems in Mexico weren't quite as bad. We stayed close to the resort.

I'm a newbie with the terms "borrow" and "deposit". Sadly, I only know how to "bank" points and book with the exchange company. My co-owner handled all the bookings for me and I'm only now perusing the SVC website myself and starting to read all the unopened mail SVC has mailed.

Thanks for the tip but I just checked the SFX site and looks like the resorts don't include Italy unfortunately where my co-owner has been wanting to visit for awhile. By depositing points, does this just mean booking with another exchange company's resorts? How does SFX figure into the equation when II is SVC's new exchange company?

Daisy

Comment

Working...
                              X