Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canalboats - exchange company recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by mshatty View Post
    Can you tell us a little about the roominess/size of the interiors? How many people would be comfortable?

Thanks Carolinian.
    If you need 2 bedrooms get one with 3. There is very limited storage space so you can leave suitcases etc in the 3rd bedroom. The shape of the boat, they are called narrow boats for a good reason , dictates that they are 'snug' inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Keitht View Post
    If you need 2 bedrooms get one with 3. There is very limited storage space so you can leave suitcases etc in the 3rd bedroom. The shape of the boat, they are called narrow boats for a good reason , dictates that they are 'snug' inside.
    Whenever I've been on a canalboat we've unpacked and put the suitcases back in the car which is parked at the marina - same with shopping, unpack everything and then ditch the boxes, etc. Pack light and forget glamour!

I'm interested in this topic also.

How about the physical aspects, would anticipate when do we would be healthy 60 yr old man and wife only.

Physically you should be fine - it's harder work with only two because one person has to open the locks. If it's a double-gate lock then you have to open one side, walk down the lock, cross over, walk back and open the other side. You may find that if your wife isn't very strong she might not be able to turn the lock key - I've had problems a few times! One solution is to use the Oxford canal, they have single gate locks There's a downside to the Oxford though - they also have lift bridges. You have to pull on a chain to lift the bridge for the boat to go under, then lower it afterwards. I found a few times that I was dangling on the end of the chain and the bridge wasn't moving - but I'm quite light (8.5 stone), my husband never had any problem.

Great holiday, don't let any of this put you off it's all good fun.

Is anyone looking at getting out of their timeshare week with canaltime? I can show you how.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12