Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A week in the Life of a Timeshare Exchanger

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    & if they did, they'd just go on the Internet and rent a week, and keep the balance.

Or rent something from RCI for $200 m/l, and keep the balance.

(BTW, I do have $900 just sitting around. Pretty much everything we have is just sitting around.)

Like I said way up yonder, in order to get what we wanted, when we wanted to get, we had to do it 18-24 months out.
    Yes. Yes. And Uh- well I did this exchange 20 months out.

FYI Diamond requires owners to pay next years' estimated maint fee to make reservations in house for the next year. Not so much of a problem for points use since you can only make reservations 10-13 months out. Since we can "only" exchange through Interval, an advance reservation requires advanced payment. I have not had much of a problem and don't have to plan two years in advance. I have not tried to exchange through another company since it requires a reservation in house to trade and we are limited by the 13 month or less advance reservations.
    Tom

Please excuse me, I'm a Dick. Not a moron just a Dick
    FWIW, I never felt having to pay a future year's fee in order to "use" it by depositing, to get something from someone, was anything but the way it should be. After all, the deposit is of no value to anyone if the fees are not paid.

"RCI Help

How early should I deposit my week?

Deposit your week 9 months to 2 years in advance of the start date of your ownership week to receive 100% of your available Deposit Trading Power to use for exchange. However, the window in which you can deposit may vary based on when your resort makes your week available to you and when you pay your maintenance fees." - See more at: http://www.rci.com/pre-rci-en_US/hel....qVhxfMIS.dpuf

From the "Manage Your Deposits" page on RCI.com:

"It's important to keep your maintenance fees current. Note that these fees may need to be paid to your home resort before you can Deposit with RCI."
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Is this more about the crapshoot of being able to get what you want?

If you can't, you don't want to pay your maintenance fee, especially two years out.

But, then, you see what you want, but you can't get it because you haven't deposited the week yet, because you didn't want to pay the fees in advance without knowing you could get what you want.
    RCI Member Since 24-Aug-1989/150-plus Exchanges***THE TIMESHARE GRIM REAPER~~~Exchanging/Searching/SW Florida/MO/AR/IA/Consumer Advocacy/Estate Planning/Sports/Boating/Fishing/Golf/Lake-living/Retirement****Sometimes ya just gotta be a dick

Is this more about the crapshoot of being able to get what you want?

If you can't, you don't want to pay your maintenance fee, especially two years out.

But, then, you see what you want, but you can't get it because you haven't deposited the week yet, because you didn't want to pay the fees in advance without knowing you could get what you want.

I guess because in all the years I have exchanged (and I have owned since 1999) it has never come up. And I exchanged a lot through RCI- but it was many years ago. The past few years I have used the independents- DAE and TP- and the issue didn't come up, so I was surprised this time.

But our resort does not require it. They just confirm I own the week and our account is in good standing and they approve the deposit.

So why would I pay the maintenance fees a year in advance when I don't need to? It was just a matter of explaining it all to TP.

And- yes. If I don't see something I want- I would rather just keep my week at my home resort and use it. If I exchange a week I like to use it in the same year as that week.

I do not want to push the floater week forward as I only get so much vacation time at work and I already own 3 weeks timeshares every year. If I push a week into the next year now I have 4 weeks that year and then I would have to deposit another week again and it becomes a viscous cycle of being hooked into the exchange companies. No thanks on that.

For the few times I exchange I like doing it my way. I will not pay maintenance fees before they are do- unless it is just a couple of months away.
    Last edited by mpumilia; 01-10-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Addition

It's just another one of those things about timesharing.

I just noticed on the "Annual Meeting Update" that came with the 2017 Annual Fee billing from our newest-to-us old resort that it says they are now taking a $200 deposit if you want to deposit future weeks.

that was hard work!

Quote Originally Posted by grest View Post
    that was hard work!
    No, not really. All I had to do is read the Annual Meeting Update.

No, not really. All I had to do is read the Annual Meeting Update.

not always about you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12